5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How prevalent are these problems?

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Here's a nice contrast picture of orange peel paint next to smooth. Our trucks should really be pretty smooth I would think, no? Wasn't that was one of the upgrades to the factory in Sterling Heights?

Orange-Peel-vs-Smooth.jpg

ponypride

Reaction score
Is this prevalent on all colors or All only certain colors?

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oh no! I went on a “witch hunt” again on my truck after reading about the “orange peel paint”. My patriot blue is somewhat orange peel. It is not completely smooth but not as bad as the picture above either. Interesting, would never have noticed if not for this thread.

mikemcfarland

Reaction score
Oh no! I went on a “witch hunt” again on my truck after reading about the “orange peel paint”. My patriot blue is somewhat orange peel. It is not completely smooth but not as bad as the picture above either. Interesting, would never have noticed if not for this thread.

is there a noticeable difference from other vehicles u have owned.?

Pparana

Reaction score
Sorry I brought it up haha, it's most noticable on darker colors, Euro cars usually have it because of the waterborne paint they use. Asain cars have almost none, North American is usually somewhere in between. This is the most I have seen on any non resprayed vehicle from the factory. I looked at a few at the dealer and they all had it, I will probably check the mil thickness when I get to the shop, my guess is they are using a new paint booth and applying too much base or clear, or next t atomizing it enough. QC engineers will probably improve it because it is usually an effect of too much paint, too fast, this of course in hundred of thousands of trucks adds up to a lot.of.money. it's not absolutely horrible, but definitely out of spec for almost every oem, the last gen we're not this bad.

mikemcfarland

Reaction score
Sorry I brought it up haha, it's most noticable on darker colors, Euro cars usually have it because of the waterborne paint they use. Asain cars have almost none, North American is usually somewhere in between. This is the most I have seen on any non resprayed vehicle from the factory. I looked at a few at the dealer and they all had it, I will probably check the mil thickness when I get to the shop, my guess is they are using a new paint booth and applying too much base or clear, or next t atomizing it enough. QC engineers will probably improve it because it is usually an effect of too much paint, too fast, this of course in hundred of thousands of trucks adds up to a lot.of.money. it's not absolutely horrible, but definitely out of spec for almost every oem, the last gen we're not this bad.

no problem bringing it up. for me at the age of 46ish, im not to worried about the paint yet.(lol) i can't wait to when the paint on my truck matters(y)(y)(y)

Pparana

Reaction score
no problem bringing it up. for me at the age of 46ish, im not to worried about the paint yet.(lol) i can't wait to when the paint on my truck matters(y)(y)(y)

Nothing to stress over, more paint is better than too little, coatings are part of what I work on so it's a lot more obvious to me from a manufacturering standpoint than a problem with the truck . I'm just looking at the trucks and running some napkin math thinking that's prob $5-7 million in paint per quarter they are applying that they could save.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I don’t stress over it. All vehicles have some orange peel to a degree. Some more than others. My MB and BMWs had a little, and my wife’s Lexus has none (black paint).
My RAM has some but barely noticeable. I really don’t worry about it, as it is just the way it is. The good news is that we have a nice layer of paint on our trucks.
I measured mine when I first got it since I needed to correct a scratch on the hood and wanted to know what I was working with, and I had between 8-10 mils (254 microns) of paint all around. Plenty for the life of the vehicle to polish later if needed. Not sure about clear coat since my meter measures overall thickness, but clear should be around 2-3 mils.

Cheers,
Neurobit

The_Chemist

Reaction score
I came from a 2018 Mustang that I Lemon Lawed back to Ford. That was a nightmare so I can relate to anyone that has annoying issues, especially when the dealer says it is normal. Even with a warranty it is a hassle to deal with issues.

Hoping my Ram holds up. But I got the lifetime max care as additional peace of mind.

6,000 miles in three months.

What is a lifetime max care warranty? Is it literally for the life of the truck and does it cover everything?

The_Chemist

Reaction score

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to send me that link! That was very kind of you.

I checked out the plan. That is quite good coverage. I’m going to have to call and find out the cost for a 2019 Laramie Longhorn, which I what I have ordered.

Thanks again.

You can check with your dealer, but I'd also suggest checking out a couple of the online places, as they are usually way cheaper and sell the Mopar plans. My cost through there was less than dealer cost. I purchased through the first one the list below.

http://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com

https://www.chryslerwarrantys.com

bgmshrm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
People need to also realize that many come to the interwebs looking for information on an issue and then post about it. There are FAR more people that will never use a forum at all, especially when not provoked by an issue.

I guess what I am saying is; These "big" issues always seem bigger on forums because most don't join a forum just to spread warm fuzzies these days. I have absolutely no way to prove or test this hypothesis, but... I bet if 15% say they have an issue on a forum pole, the real number is closer to 0.15% in total. Don't get me wrong... That's still pretty bad, but maybe not as big a deal to get all wound up about this early in.
I dont even have a truck yet Waiting on an eco I joined for the good shared info.

The_Chemist

Reaction score

Michael A

Reaction score
It seems that the front clunk is a problem affecting many vehicles. I am really concerned about the water leaks in the driver/compartments. Are a lot of you experiencing this issue?
Yes I have the same issue with leaking. I've only owned the truck 2 weeks and with the first rain the drivers side carpet was soaked. It's been at the dealer a week. They have resealed the front window and changed out the door seals. That didn't work so now there looking behind the fire wall. I get the feeling they're just throwing darts. We'll see if they can resolve this or not

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
People need to also realize that many come to the interwebs looking for information on an issue and then post about it. There are FAR more people that will never use a forum at all, especially when not provoked by an issue.

I guess what I am saying is; These "big" issues always seem bigger on forums because most don't join a forum just to spread warm fuzzies these days. I have absolutely no way to prove or test this hypothesis, but... I bet if 15% say they have an issue on a forum pole, the real number is closer to 0.15% in total. Don't get me wrong... That's still pretty bad, but maybe not as big a deal to get all wound up about this early in.

One of the first things one learns when taking a statistics course is that people with negative feelings about something are 10-20 times more likely to comment about a product, service, or person.

Regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 003178 miles.

Dan1989

Reaction score

My leak issues are in the rear and front and involve volumes of of water that totally saturate large areas of carpet. It kinda like buying a flood damaged vehicle. I am embarrassed to show anyone my $60k truck. Its a great truck otherwise but there is no excuse for these issues.....maybe rushed to market TOO soon.

I sent FCA my first "Lemon Law" certified letter today requesting satisfaction within 30 days or by-back.
I am having the same water leak issues. Truck is back to the dealer for the 4th time now getting front water leak looked at. They fixed the back leak by removing the back window, replacing the window seal and re-installed. They also put silicon around the sunroof drain tubs that come out the back of the cab about half way down. I have filed a lemon law case which goes to a hearing on Oct 9th. I hope the rule in my favor to have Ram replace or buy back the truck. Let me know what FCA ends up doing for you.

Users who are viewing this thread