5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How prevalent are these problems?

ponypride

Reaction score
It seems that the front clunk is a problem affecting many vehicles. I am really concerned about the water leaks in the driver/compartments. Are a lot of you experiencing this issue?

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The new design seems (to me) to allow more water in when the doors are opened and it is raining or the truck has just been washed. I live on a dirt road, and every day during the non-winter season, wash down our vehicles to remove the dirt and dust that would otherwise accumulate to crop-growing depths. When I open the doors after rinsing, I get more water on the seats and floor than in my Gen IV Ram. This is simply an observation, but it does give the impression of water getting into the cab. At this time, I'd say this is not a major problem.

At least one member found their shark tooth antenna was loose--a simple dealer repair.

As for the clunking noise, I've not experienced that. According to the forum poll, a majority of members have not.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It seems that the front clunk is a problem affecting many vehicles. I am really concerned about the water leaks in the driver/compartments. Are a lot of you experiencing this issue?
This poll we are running tries to capture that data, though if you want each member’s exact situation you have to select their posts for details. I didn’t call out leaks specifically in the poll options but it appears about 1 in 7 (16.8%) are having some problems with the Body, and around the same ratio (15%) are having troubles with the Interior. Suspension problems are at 16.8%, so a similar rate as those others.

Note this does not reflect which problems were fixed quickly/easily (eg tightening grommets or antennas) vs which problems have not been fixed yet (eg welds). Hope it helps.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/how’s-your-2019-ram-running-take-our-poll.1017/page-5

UPDATE: The way I’m looking at the data anything at or above 15% looks like a trend, and you’ve touched on some: cabin water leaks, front suspension clunks, weak AC, UConnect weirdisms, and squealing brakes are the current trends off the top of my head. Remember, not everyone experiences these so don’t think they are everywhere. On the other hand these aren’t the only problems, just the common ones to watch out for before you take the truck home.

Last edited:

clarkehaven

Reaction score
The new design seems (to me) to allow more water in when the doors are opened and it is raining or the truck has just been washed. I live on a dirt road, and every day during the non-winter season, wash down our vehicles to remove the dirt and dust that would otherwise accumulate to crop-growing depths. When I open the doors after rinsing, I get more water on the seats and floor than in my Gen IV Ram. This is simply an observation, but it does give the impression of water getting into the cab. At this time, I'd say this is not a major problem.

At least one member found their shark tooth antenna was loose--a simple dealer repair.

As for the clunking noise, I've not experienced that. According to the forum poll, a majority of members have not.

My leak issues are in the rear and front and involve volumes of of water that totally saturate large areas of carpet. It kinda like buying a flood damaged vehicle. I am embarrassed to show anyone my $60k truck. Its a great truck otherwise but there is no excuse for these issues.....maybe rushed to market TOO soon.

I sent FCA my first "Lemon Law" certified letter today requesting satisfaction within 30 days or by-back.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No problem with steering clunks, water leaks, or squealing brakes here. The glove box lamp not going out and poor box-to-cab body alignment have been fixed by the dealer's technician. I do have this ungodly noise that appears to be coming from the upper right rear of the cab. Tech worked on it earlier in the week, but the noise is still there. It appear to be above the headliner.

No other issues or complaints.

Regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 002491 miles.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think there's a mentality amongst members to vicariously have the same issues the few unfortunate owners have, when they really might not. It might be a subconscious shame to have a healthy truck while a few have serious defects.

The term "witch hunt" has been used to define some of the panic these issues have caused among owners of healthy trucks. Owners out on their driveways taking pictures of sway bars and ball joints without cause, other than a suggestion that their build date "could" be affected.

Prevalent, no. Similar issues from a tight sample group of people that ordered trucks within a 3 month period of each other... more likely explanation. Give it a couple years before using a term like prevalent issues with the 5th Gen Rams.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Remember that if 25 active members here are posting about problems with their trucks, it's going to seem like a whole lot of these trucks have problems when browsing the forum.

The reality is that for every issue these trucks have, I can point you to an equivalent thread on the Ford or Chevy forums. ALL brands vehicles have issues, if you're serious about buying one take it home for the day or overnight and really drive the thing, take it through the car wash, inspect it thoroughly and you'll definitely lessen your chances for a lemon. Your dealer choice will also have a large bearing on your post sales experience.

clarkehaven

Reaction score
I think there's a mentality amongst members to vicariously have the same issues the few unfortunate owners have, when they really might not. It might be a subconscious shame to have a healthy truck while a few have serious defects.

The term "witch hunt" has been used to define some of the panic these issues have caused among owners of healthy trucks. Owners out on their driveways taking pictures of sway bars and ball joints without cause, other than a suggestion that their build date "could" be affected.

Prevalent, no. Similar issues from a tight sample group of people that ordered trucks within a 3 month period of each other... more likely explanation. Give it a couple years before using a term like prevalent issues with the 5th Gen Rams.

My truck will be rusted in 2 years.....unless, of course I do as I have for the past 2 weeks.....keep it in the garage with doors open and fans running and NOT drive it in the rain.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck will be rusted in 2 years.....unless, of course I do as I have for the past 2 weeks.....keep it in the garage with doors open and fans running and NOT drive it in the rain.
That's something a dealer should be all over. The fact that you still have that truck in that shape is concerning. I would drop it off, hand the service manager the keys and hold my hand out for the keys to my loaner and tell him/her not to call me till it's fixed or a replacement truck is on the lot.

It's that simple.

clarkehaven

Reaction score
That's something a dealer should be all over. The fact that you still have that truck in that shape is concerning. I would drop it off, hand the service manager the keys and hold my hand out for the keys to my loaner and tell him/her not to call me till it's fixed or a replacement truck is on the lot.

It's that simple.

Tried it......basically told me to pound sand. So now I have a case # with Ram service and having them talk with the dealership.

da_Vinci_of_sorts

Reaction score
People need to also realize that many come to the interwebs looking for information on an issue and then post about it. There are FAR more people that will never use a forum at all, especially when not provoked by an issue.

I guess what I am saying is; These "big" issues always seem bigger on forums because most don't join a forum just to spread warm fuzzies these days. I have absolutely no way to prove or test this hypothesis, but... I bet if 15% say they have an issue on a forum pole, the real number is closer to 0.15% in total. Don't get me wrong... That's still pretty bad, but maybe not as big a deal to get all wound up about this early in.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tried it......basically told me to pound sand. So now I have a case # with Ram service and having them talk with the dealership.
Post the dealership name and address so it can be avoided. That's not service, that's nonsense.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
My truck is trouble free other than the glovebox ambient lighting not woking, and the squeak on the center dash when I rest my elbow on it.

Does it warrant a trip to the dealer? Not until I need to take it for scheduled maintenance.
Other than those, no clunk, or leaks, or any other major issues.
Uconnect problem w/ screen blacking out fixed with last sw update, and I did have the brake squeal for a week or two, but did a few runs hard breaking about a month ago, and it has been noise-free ever since.

Cheers,
Neurobit

Last edited:

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
3,300 miles in, thankfully no problems. Every vehicle may have some sort of “quirk” so to speak but fortunately I have not experienced any of these major concerns and I drive it everyday!

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I came from a 2018 Mustang that I Lemon Lawed back to Ford. That was a nightmare so I can relate to anyone that has annoying issues, especially when the dealer says it is normal. Even with a warranty it is a hassle to deal with issues.

Hoping my Ram holds up. But I got the lifetime max care as additional peace of mind.

6,000 miles in three months.

Pparana

Reaction score
I picked one up over the weekend, to preface I get a new truck every 10_18 months. I have had them all from Nissan to Ford to Toyota back to Chevy. Last ram I had was a 14, I would say there build quality is no worse or better than before. If your looking for high build quality go Toyota or Chevy. The only thing negative I can say is the paint, the oarnge peel on the black is horrible. I would prob grab a white one if I looked at them before buying. The rebates and discounts are the drivers of when we roll our fleet. These are not top trim or lowest either. This one was a big Horn 4x2 crew cab. MSRP of 47 and some change. Bottom line is the rebates at least untill tomorrow we're as big if not bigger than what you see in last model year deductions.

ponypride

Reaction score
What is orange peel? I have seen a lot of black trucks and they looked pretty sharp. I ordered granite metallic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online