5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how often is everyone changing oil

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I go every 5-6000 miles to my local ram dealership where I purchased the truck and they use Castrol synthetic. I’ll have to double check to see exactly what it’s called. I always purchase packages of three oil change and tire rotations and it’s about $140 after tax I think. I’ve had eight oil changes since May 2022 and will probably get my ninth one sometime next month. I plan on doing an oil analysis for that particular thread on this forum.

Castrol GTX Magnatec is what my dealer uses on my truck. Apparently Castrol has updated the Magnatec line to Castrol GTX Full synthetic & is supposed to be an improved formula. We’ll see what the analysis says soon enough. Close to another oil change.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
will be doing an oil change myself, for those that do their own. Are you going into the mopar website and manually entering/adding the service record or just keeping receipts safe, considering receipt can fade over time.
Going with Pennzoil platinum full synthetic 5w20
Besides the mopar filter what is everybody using - Not sure I will be able to make a run to the dealer so my in stock options seem to be mobil 1, fram or napa filter
Got the fumoto valve on hand to install and an oil udder. its pretty tight down there lol, been thinking for a while on a set of ramps so maybe this is a good opportunity.
Anybody has try either of these, the steel ones are higher but lower capacity maybe not good for this truck?

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
will be doing an oil change myself, for those that do their own. Are you going into the mopar website and manually entering/adding the service record or just keeping receipts safe, considering receipt can fade over time.
Besides the mopar filter what is everybody using - Not sure I will be able to make a run to the dealer so my in stock options seem to be mobil 1, fram or napa filter
Got the fumoto valve on hand to install and an oil udder. its pretty tight down there lol, been thinking for a while on a set of ramps so maybe this is a good opportunity.
Anybody has try either of these, the steel ones are higher but lower capacity maybe not good for this truck?
Mixed reviews on the oil udder, have a few gallon zip lock bags "just in case".

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No point in really keeping track of your maintenance. Any oil analysis will tell Ram condition of the oil if there is a warranty issue where it may come into question. As long as you have the correct type of oil in, correct amount, and doesn't come back as beyond it's life, they can't really blame the oil or maintenance

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

I entered my oil change on the Mopar site, but I also keep a record on my computer. I found the MO-339 oil filter at Walmart. I have the Oil Udder XL but I haven't tried it yet, but it has to be better than the 1-gallon Ziploc bags. I can just slide under my truck, so I don't have any need for ramps.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No point in really keeping track of your maintenance. Any oil analysis will tell Ram condition of the oil if there is a warranty issue where it may come into question. As long as you have the correct type of oil in, correct amount, and doesn't come back as beyond it's life, they can't really blame the oil or maintenance
That's a reasonable statement, of course dealers can be anything but

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I entered my oil change on the Mopar site, but I also keep a record on my computer. I found the MO-339 oil filter at Walmart. I have the Oil Udder XL but I haven't tried it yet, but it has to be better than the 1-gallon Ziploc bags. I can just slide under my truck, so I don't have any need for ramps.
I think it asks for location or shop on the website so you just enter self?
Did check with Walmart but its out of stock, too bad

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dealers can't deby warranty repairs. Only Ram can
that is correct, but it doesn't stop dealers from trying to deny or avoid doing warranty repairs
Experienced that on a jeep Around 2015, had a dealer deny warranty work, I contacted Jeep directly and had them approve and set things straight with the dealer.

HEMIJAKE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you work with wood at all, you could build some. My dad did out of 2x8 or 2x10, I can't remember. Simply stacked a shorter board on top of each other until you get the desired height. I used them a couple times on my truck before I did my lift so I didn't have to drag my jack and stands out. For what he spent on the lumber though, you could probably buy a decent set :LOL: .

Not his specifically, but something I googled:
1676553339650.png

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you work with wood at all, you could build some. My dad did out of 2x8 or 2x10, I can't remember. Simply stacked a shorter board on top of each other until you get the desired height. I used them a couple times on my truck before I did my lift so I didn't have to drag my jack and stands out. For what he spent on the lumber though, you could probably buy a decent set :LOL: .

Not his specifically, but something I googled:
View attachment 151917
Those are pretty cool
last time I needed to purchase some plywood and 2x4's, prices were crazy high but luckily while moving into a new warehouse at work we found just enough material for my needs that was gonna be left behind, it saved me a couple hundred. Nobody seem to remember where it came from since we don't do wood work here.
Haven't look at the cost these days.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Those are pretty cool
last time I needed to purchase some plywood and 2x4's, prices were crazy high but luckily while moving into a new warehouse at work we found just enough material for my needs that was gonna be left behind, it saved me a couple hundred. Nobody seem to remember where it came from since we don't do wood work here.
Haven't look at the cost these days.
Not sure about Home Depot prices, but I buy lumber by the truckload for work. It's back down to where it was before Covid (as of right now, at least).
Pre-Covid: $6.56/ea for a 2x4x16
Peak Covid: Over $24/ea
Now: $5.96/ea

HEMIJAKE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure about Home Depot prices, but I buy lumber by the truckload for work. It's back down to where it was before Covid (as of right now, at least).
Pre-Covid: $6.56/ea for a 2x4x16
Peak Covid: Over $24/ea
Now: $5.96/ea
I made the mistake of building a small deck during covid. Not my best financial decision. :LOL:

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the plastic or whatever and they do not move or seem sketchy what so ever I even use them to change the oil on the families mini van which is closer to the max weight rating.

I also use 5w20 penzoil platinum synthetic change every 5k miles with plenty of life ( I do not tow )

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the plastic or whatever and they do not move or seem sketchy what so ever I even use them to change the oil on the families mini van which is closer to the max weight rating.

I also use 5w20 penzoil platinum synthetic change every 5k miles with plenty of life ( I do not tow )
I ended up getting the plastic ones and have used them several times already. Well build and holding up very good

Users who are viewing this thread