5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How much did you get for your 5th Gen. Trade In or Sale?

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We have other threads about what people paid for their 5th Gens. so I thought I would start a thread about how much people received in trade or sale of their 5th gens. as I've seen many posts about people moving on here already.

This may seem like an odd thread since people are still buying new 19s at the time of this thread creation but like other auto forums, MANY people like to upgrade, move on, etc. very soon. For those that say leasing, not paying cash, not keeping a vehicle til it's paid off or death, we hear you but to each their own and what people do with their money is their choice so please leave those comments for other threads. ;)

Please list your original MSRP and then what you received from selling or trading it. If sold, please list private party or one of those car buying type places. If traded, please make a comment on whether you think the number was padded because you were buying another vehicle.

Klute

Reaction score
MSRP? That's useless b/c I don't know anyone other than my grandfather paying MSRP.

ldoh

Reaction score
For simplicity I can see MSRP being a good comparison for starters but we all know it's less relevant for those who got 25-31% off MSRP. Those with big discounted puchases might be willing to trade in for less.

Unfortunately there's so many variables for trade in value it's gonna be tough to compare apples to apples - mileage, condition, territory, dealer horse trading (low ball new purchase price for more trade in value), # of owners, title status, buyback/lemon, ...

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
MSRP is the best reference as it is a fixed number. What they actually paid has no relevance.
Absolutely wrong. What is actually paid for a vehicle is how resale values are determined by every source available. MSRP is a fictitious number only used to make you feel like you got a great discount. Kinda like buying jeans at Kohls. They list them for $75, but after all the coupons and discounts you pay $34 and think you got a smoking deal on a pair of $28 jeans.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Absolutely wrong. What is actually paid for a vehicle is how resale values are determined by every source available. MSRP is a fictitious number only used to make you feel like you got a great discount. Kinda like buying jeans at Kohls. They list them for $75, but after all the coupons and discounts you pay $34 and think you got a smoking deal on a pair of $28 jeans.
No, this is wrong.
The $75 price at Kohls, to reference your analogy, would be $90 at Macy‘s and $125 at Neiman’s. In contrast, MSRP is uniform, regardless of dealer...

Cheers,

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think MSRP is appropriate to establish a base. The actual price paid will vary depending upon available incentives, trades, and how savvy the buyer is. One guy may pay $48,000 for a truck with a MSRP of $50,000 and another may pay $38,000. MSRP removes the variables. At the same time, resale will be determined by what new trucks are actually selling for, available inventory, use, condition, or even the amount of ones desperation to get rid of a truck. So, listing resale or trade re-introduces the variables that were removed by utilizing MSRP. In reality, what is being asked by OP will probably not provide any valuable data; but it will be fun to see what others are getting for their trucks.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
No, this is wrong.
The $75 price at Kohls, to reference your analogy, would be $90 at Macy‘s and $125 at Neiman’s. In contrast, MSRP is uniform, regardless of dealer...

Cheers,
This context is in regard to resale. MSRP is irrelevant.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
And original MSRP gives others an idea about how your truck may be equipped. There are $40k Big Horns and then there are $60k Big Horns. At least if we know the starting MSRP, we can understand why someone received X vs another.
Yep, but again...NADA looks at actual reported sales and auction prices. That's where the data comes from.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep, but again...NADA looks at actual reported sales and auction prices. That's where the data comes from.

Where the number comes from is market demand. If people post what they received, others will have a better understanding of what they may get for their trade or sale and can help people make decisions if they want to make a move to another vehicle.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
Where the number comes from is market demand. If people post what they received, others will have a better understanding of what they may get for their trade or sale and can help people make decisions if they want to make a move to another vehicle.
What is "market demand"?

Demand, is one factor that can affect what someone is willing to pay for something that is sold in a market. The selling price is what market analysts, like NADA use to determine what to publish in their guides.

Maconi

Reaction score
Why not both? It's not hard to add an extra line.

MSRP:
Paid:
Resale:

Although I somewhat agree with the OP. I want to know how much a specific build/configuration is reselling for (which can be easily represented by MSRP). I don't care as much about what you paid for it. The only other way to get that info would be to ask for VIN numbers/window stickers (which, surprise, would have MSRP on it).

I've been keeping my eye on fully loaded Limited builds ($70k MSRP). Most people pay around $50k-$55k new for them and they're currently going for around $45k resale/used from what I can tell. I'm waiting on them to drop to $40k or lower before shopping for one myself (which should be happening within the next few months at the rate these trucks are depreciating).

Last edited:

Klute

Reaction score
Highly doubt that there are a lot of people that have moved on from the 5th gen rams are still on this forum...unless of course, they upgraded

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Highly doubt that there are a lot of people that have moved on from the 5th gen rams are still on this forum...unless of course, they upgraded

Very true but some do hang around. I’ve seen quite a few posts already about what people received for their sale / trade here. Unfortunately most were out of frustration to move on from an unresolved issue. :(

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Very true but some do hang around. I’ve seen quite a few posts already about what people received for their sale / trade here. Unfortunately most were out of frustration to move on from an unresolved issue. :(
That may be me soon if I keep having to take my truck to the dealer on a weekly basis. Been there weekly for the last three or four weeks. Currently in for not being able to be in anything except 2WD (errors out when trying to shift to 4WD Auto or 4WD High), and the usual USB ports not working (again). Very frustrating. Never had a vehicle in the shop so often. Ever.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That may be me soon if I keep having to take my truck to the dealer on a weekly basis. Been there weekly for the last three or four weeks. Currently in for not being able to be in anything except 2WD (errors out when trying to shift to 4WD Auto or 4WD High), and the usual USB ports not working (again). Very frustrating. Never had a vehicle in the shop so often. Ever.

That sucks. Feel for ya. Other than a brake chirp and the backup groan in the mornings, I guess I got a good one. Lol. All 3 gens I’ve owned have had quirks, I guess I just got use to them.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
That sucks. Feel for ya. Other than a brake chirp and the backup groan in the mornings, I guess I got a good one. Lol. All 3 gens I’ve owned have had quirks, I guess I just got use to them.
Thanks. Maybe it's just a lemon. Tempted to go talk to the sales mgr when I pick it up and see what they can do to trade for a new one (2019 or 2020, whichever is the best deal).

Ticked off that I've spent money and effort on exhaust, upgraded speakers, dash cam, debadging, getting the paint perfect, etc. All seemingly for naught.

Jack Whitefield

Reaction score
3gzuq2.jpg

Gitter

Reaction score
Don't forget to include the mileage at the time of Trade-in...

Users who are viewing this thread