5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How much are you paying for oil change+tire rotation?

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My local dealer is excellent to deal with but not as generous as yours. In the future, I'll have the rotation done at Belle Tire which is free and pay for the oil change. This was the first oil change there with the 19 which I didn't buy from them but it will be going back there for future oil changes. I'll buy their oil change special to see what the cost is next time but I want a dealer to change the oil so Ram has less ways to invalidate my extended warranty or repair it if a tech messes up the operation. Cheap insurance in my mind.
There's also another thing about going to the dealer for some stuff. As my fellow goombas like to say, everyone needs to wet their beak a little.

Other than a house, a car is the most expensive thing most people will purchase. They're also fairly complicated these days and because they're so expensive, virtually no one would buy a new one without a decent warranty. When things go wrong, the car manufacturer needs to have a fleet of servicing outfits available to fix the cars. They need the dealerships to be able to stay in business, as do those who drive a vehicle. If the dealership has fairly reasonable prices, I don't mind using them because I want them to be there when I need real repairs on my vehicle from factory techs. I don't see it as charity as much as self-interest, because I don't want to have to drive an hour to get to an authorized dealership for a repair if/when I need one.

So like on my Kia. I bought my last two sets of tires from the dealership because they gave me a reasonable price (I checked it) and included free balance/rotation for life of the tires. That's worth it to me. Now I just got another new set of tires. I called the dealership - the one closest to my house, not my office - and they had an OK price but had a $20 charge for every rotation/balance. That's a hassle to me and more expensive than my local tire place, so that's who got my business.

I don't use quickie oil change places (or Walmart) because there's no expectation of excellence or competence there. I'd just as soon change my own oil. But like on my truck, $30 for an oil change and a tire rotation/balance I consider a pretty good deal. If they make a few bucks on it, good for them :)

GeorgiaBoy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use a local owned tire shop for tires, alignment, brakes and such. Bought a used 2011 GMC Sierra in 2012. when I needed rotation I took it to them and told them I didn't buy the tires there so I would pay whatever they charge. They finished and tossed me the keys and said have a nice day. I reminded them that I didn't buy the tires there and should pay them. They replied....We know, but you will buy your next set here! Several set of tires over four vehicles since then all from Smyrna Tire and any future ones will be purchased there!

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use a local owned tire shop for tires, alignment, brakes and such. Bought a used 2011 GMC Sierra in 2012. when I needed rotation I took it to them and told them I didn't buy the tires there so I would pay whatever they charge. They finished and tossed me the keys and said have a nice day. I reminded them that I didn't buy the tires there and should pay them. They replied....We know, but you will buy your next set here! Several set of tires over four vehicles since then all from Smyrna Tire and any future ones will be purchased there!
That's a smart businessman/woman for sure!

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Do you know if Smyrna rim and tire can mount and balance large diameter wheels? They are close to me and I would start using them based off of this interaction.

GeorgiaBoy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's a smart businessman/woman for sure!
Yep!! They
Do you know if Smyrna rim and tire can mount and balance large diameter wheels? They are close to me and I would start using them based off of this interaction.
I cannot speak to large wheels but call them and ask (I suspect they can). They are honest, good prices and great work!

Str8Cracker

Reaction score
My local dealer charges $100. I showed them the coupon on mopar.com for 3 for $1000 that populates when entering my zip, however I was told they don’t accept them because they loose money. Thought it was crap considering it’s under my dealerships coupons.

Gipraw

Reaction score
I do my own oil changes and rotations. I won’t use discount tire. A tire shop should be able to replace a wheel stud if/when they break one, and they can’t/won‘t. I also don’t trust any shop to torque my lug nuts correctly.

If my truck is ever at the dealership for anything, I will have them do an oil change while it is there, but this one hasn’t been in yet. Only 2k miles on it in five months.

GregHBNA

Reaction score
I showed them the coupon on mopar.com for 3 for $1000 that populates when entering my zip, however I was told they don’t accept them because they loose money. Thought it was crap considering it’s under my dealerships coupons.
3 for $1000. Now, that's extorsion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

taz2016

Reaction score
I do my own. I buy Mobil 1 synthetic when they offer the rebate. Add a filter and I spend around $20 per change. The 20" tires and wheels are heavy but good excercise, so win win.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
How long does it take your dealer to change the oil? My wife has a Nissan. Free oil changes for life. Last time it was a 4 hour wait. Probably because she did not buy the upsell of overpriced crap.

Well just take it to the shop I go to next. $50 for her little Rouge. Out in a half hour.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
How long does it take your dealer to change the oil? My wife has a Nissan. Free oil changes for life. Last time it was a 4 hour wait. Probably because she did not buy the upsell of overpriced crap.

Well just take it to the shop I go to next. $50 for her little Rouge. Out in a half hour.

The first time I took it to my selling FCA RAM dealership, they told me unless the computer said it had to be done, they wouldn't do it because they were swamped with too many vehicles. I have never gone to a dealership before were they actually tried to get me to avoid doing an oil change.

Since then, I've been doing it myself. I heard too many stories of bad oil changes and knew I could do it better myself.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
At the dealer I bought the truck from, I got a maintenance contract for 7 years of oil changes for the total of $784. I can’t change my own oil that cheaply if I keep the truck that long. The breakeven on that is between 11 and 12 oil changes based on the price I paid when I did my first oil change at 2,000 miles. If I sell the truck early, I get a pro-rated refund for the remaining amount.

Lights Out

Reaction score
many of those jiffy lube places use **** filters. no thanks. truck is lifted takes 10 minutes to change my oil

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
many of those jiffy lube places use **** filters. no thanks. truck is lifted takes 10 minutes to change my oil
I let mune drip for at least a half hour when I change my oil. Not in that big of a rush.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
At the dealer I bought the truck from, I got a maintenance contract for 7 years of oil changes for the total of $784. I can’t change my own oil that cheaply if I keep the truck that long. The breakeven on that is between 11 and 12 oil changes based on the price I paid when I did my first oil change at 2,000 miles. If I sell the truck early, I get a pro-rated refund for the remaining amount.
To update my previous post, I told the dealer to go f themselves and cancelled all my extras. I’d rather pay more money to do it myself than let those hacks touch my truck.

Users who are viewing this thread