5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many miles to break in?

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have noticed better mileage after each oil change and think my mileage stabilized after 11K miles, the break in period is finally over. I am getting fluxuations between 16.7 - 17.4 MPG overall after 13,400 miles as of today. Switching to Full Synthetic Mobile1 0-20W at 15K and hope to see a tiny bump in MPG from that. I do tend to agree with the posters above that during accelleration with the 3.92 and e-Torque you need to be on the gas a little bit to 48-51 MPH and then ease it back for Eco and 8th gear to drop in.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I drive mine like I did many years ago when I was getting 8 to 10 mpg at the most. Same heavy foot and now getting 13 mpg with regular gas.
Same here. Except I still get 8-10 MPG... :p (very short commute - kills my mileage).

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So truck sat at the dealer for 2 weeks and basically got no where. Couldnt find any computer updates or fuel related issues. Still working with RAM customer care about a path forward. I also finally got a response from the EPA and have an open line of communication there as well. Time will tell what the real course of action will be to potentially eradicate my poor fuel economy. All the you didnt buy a Prius comments just keep it to your self. I get it, it's a truck but when window sticker rating are off 26% and all other manufacturers are exceeding window stick rating just means we are all getting lied to by FCA.
My 2016 F150 King Ranch 3.5l Ecoboost never got close to the estimates on the window sticker. My Corvette doesn't exceed the estimates, either.

tpartain

Reaction score
Hmmmm. 2019 limited with 3.92 gears and I"m getting 18.5 mpg or better. My drive is on a road with a 45 mph speed limit 10 miles each way with 2 stoplights. 7000 miles and rolling. You mileage my and will differ.
Towing a 6400 lbs travel trailer at 62 mph results in a 10.5 mpg. Its all in the throttle position. More is less. Less is more. If I drive like I did when I was 25 I'd get 12 mpg too.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hmmmm. 2019 limited with 3.92 gears and I"m getting 18.5 mpg or better. My drive is on a road with a 45 mph speed limit 10 miles each way with 2 stoplights. 7000 miles and rolling. You mileage my and will differ.
Towing a 6400 lbs travel trailer at 62 mph results in a 10.5 mpg. Its all in the throttle position. More is less. Less is more. If I drive like I did when I was 25 I'd get 12 mpg too.

That's good mileage for a Limited and the gears... another poster said it took him till something like 11K for the "break in". That's a bit excessive, I've read that hemi's take 3K, and I was surprised even at that. Since I've never owned one before, time will tell. I will say that I was not impressed with my test drive in a 3.55 E Torque V6 Laramie CC.
It downshifted at every opportunity, a rise in the road,a gust of wind head on... seemed like it anyway.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
45 - 65 mph seems to be the primo mpg mph sweet spot. Mine is in Eco a lot at those speeds. Once over 65 Eco doesn't remain on nearly as much.
Whether it gets 20 mpg or 10 mpg won't determine if I keep it or dump it. Filling up 15 or 30 times a year isn't going to that big of a deal for me.

DWWillms

Reaction score
I'm getting 13.7 mpg with my everyday driving habits. That went up from 11.6 in my first 10,000 miles. However, when I took it on a 1,200 mile interstate trip, I got 18.4 mpg. It seems like she just eats gas in the city. I love the power and acceleration though.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I already notice winter fuel additives being added to the pumps up north with my recent mpg returns. It's to be expected. I'm seeing maybe close to 1 mpg less than the hot summer months.

bgmshrm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I already notice winter fuel additives being added to the pumps up north with my recent mpg returns. It's to be expected. I'm seeing maybe close to 1 mpg less than the hot summer months.
california fuel is always worse than surrounding states due to summer/winter blends . anytime I go to oregon my fuel economy is better.

Users who are viewing this thread