5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many miles on your Hemi - any generation

flyfingers

Reaction score
Naturally, after I purchase my first Ram with a Hemi, I'm coming across more and more info related to cam shaft and / or lifter roller failure apparently lubrication related. There are a couple threads on here right now discussing it. I guess I'm looking to quell my sudden apprehension with my new truck.

Any 5th gen oil related engine failures? How many miles did you run your previous Hemi?

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Naturally, after I purchase my first Ram with a Hemi, I'm coming across more and more info related to cam shaft and / or lifter roller failure apparently lubrication related. There are a couple threads on here right now discussing it. I guess I'm looking to quell my sudden apprehension with my new truck.

Any 5th gen oil related engine failures? How many miles did you run your previous Hemi?
34000 on my '19 and smooth as silk.

jonsanford

Reaction score
I had a 2003 1500 Laramie for 17 years (first 1500 series with the Hemi) and had over 260,000 on it before I was in an accident....engine was still going strong.....Hoping to get similar performance from my 2019 Laramie Longhorn!!

aswetich

Reaction score
I always had Ford trucks and purchased my 1st RAM with a HEMI this year(2020). Like you, I saw all the lifter stuff and was concerned. After doing tons of research, I don't think there is anything to worry about. Like any truck, change the oil regularly with a good oil and filter to minimize any engine hard part issues.

The 5th gen RAM is by far the best truck available today in my opinion.

Enjoy!

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Waitforit0045

Reaction score
53k miles on my 2019 1500. Electronic steering rack went out not long ago but I was told that was an anomaly. No issues with the engine or anything else outside of normal maintanence. Love my truck!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score

You should have zero concerns...I have 687 miles on my RAM and ZERO issues.

Techna

Reaction score
330k on my 2011 (still have it) and it has destroyed the cam due to lifter failure twice. Oil changes were religiously performed at 5k with synthetic oil and levels were meticulously maintained. Didn’t keep me from buying my 5th gen Limited.

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2019 Big Horn.. 15,900 miles. 4 issues all resolved under warranty.

1500 miles - master brake cylinder went out, replaced.
3000 miles - tranny got stuck in 3rd, valve body replaced.
8000 miles - dreaded rear window leak. Replaced rear window
10,500 miles - drivers side mirror was vibrating during driving. Replaced.

Every so often my 8.4 screen freezes up but if I give it a minute it reboots by itself and fixes it itself.

Been a great truck so far, hoping to keep it until I retire!

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
330k on my 2011 (still have it) and it has destroyed the cam due to lifter failure twice. Oil changes were religiously performed at 5k with synthetic oil and levels were meticulously maintained. Didn’t keep me from buying my 5th gen Limited.
LOL, it would take me about 50 years to drive 330k miles... :p

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My mom has a 2009 Aspen with the 5.7. About 300,000 miles. Original engine with no repairs or parts replacements other than spark plugs (only twice over the entire life of the engine...). Synthetic blend oil roughly every 5K. She has done basically 0 maintenance other than oil and it's still going.

GreenGoblin

Reaction score
My patrol car is a 2014 charger with a HARD 153k on it. It ticks like crazy but still runs strong. Had a guy ask me the other day when they started putting a Cummins in the chargers lol.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Techna

Reaction score
LOL, it would take me about 50 years to drive 330k miles... :p
Oh it was brutal. If I understand your location correctly, this’ll make sense... I was early in my self employment when I bought the truck and for a few years I found myself driving from Magnolia to Pearland, Clear Lake, Texas City or Lake Jackson at least twice per week, and from Magnolia to Kingwood and further east on the other days. I don’t think it was the miles that killed the lifters though, but rather the hours of idling as I sat in the truck doing paperwork between stops for the first 5 years of ownership. From what I understand, these motors had a problem with lifter lubrication on certain cylinders at idle. I had my problems with the truck, but it never left me stranded anywhere over those 330k miles. Even the transmission failure gave me enough warning to drive home and then to the shop the next day.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Oh it was brutal. If I understand your location correctly, this’ll make sense... I was early in my self employment when I bought the truck and for a few years I found myself driving from Magnolia to Pearland, Clear Lake, Texas City or Lake Jackson at least twice per week, and from Magnolia to Kingwood and further east or the other days. I don’t think it was the miles that killed the lifters though, but rather the hours of idling as I sat in the truck doing paperwork between stops for the first 5 years of ownership. From what I understand, these motors had a problem with lifter lubrication on certain cylinders at idle. I had my problems with the truck, but it never left me stranded anywhere over those 330k miles. Even the transmission failure gave me enough warning to drive home and then to the shop the next day.
Yep, totally know all the areas you mention, so now it makes more sense. 😊
Yeah, not that great to idle that much. Even then, >300k miles is impressive any way you look at it.

Take care,

Users who are viewing this thread