5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many miles on your Eco diesel?

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2021 Laramie I have just over 40K miles. Have the GDE Engine and Trans Tune.
I use Hot Shots EDT with fill ups.

Problems: My rear parking sensors quit working. I took it in for repair with a
recall notice on the rear Camera and Trailer Steering issue. Spent 10 hours at
the dealer before they got it fixed. The software updates we not talking. They
did overwrite the engine tune that I had to get reflashed.

Two weeks ago I was pulling into a Gas Station and got a Check Engine light
and Service Transmission message on the EVIC screen. The truck would not
switch into park. It had to use the backup shifter as if you didn't put the Trans in park
when you shut off the engine. Then is would shift into park. The Code was P0850.
I got home (1/2 mile) and it did it again. I let the truck sit for two days and then
did 2 short errands and the error had corrected itself and has been fine since.

Now we have the HPFP Safety recall to deal with.

Malodave

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Run 4auto all the time and get around 24 mpg average (based on internal mpg calculator which I have not reset since new)
The MPG calculator is, deceivingly, not a lifetime average. It is a rolling average over the last 500 miles or so.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The MPG calculator is, deceivingly, not a lifetime average. It is a rolling average over the last 500 miles or so.
Interestingly, my trip calculator, "B", reset itself after 10,000 miles. It's currently at 9,800 (total truck at 19,800). Curious what it'll do in 200 miles. But that indicator shows me the long-term mileage numbers. (Instead of the rolling 500 number in the eco calculator display.)

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
OP...I know you're primarily interested in higher mileage 3rd gen EcoD's, but I can certainly tell you that there were many many examples of the 2nd gen going well over 200K miles, and even up to 374K miles. The bearing issues of the 2nd gen seem to be fixed in the 3rd gen, so I'd be pretty surprised if we don't see 3rd gens going well beyond those numbers. I had a 2nd gen and sold it with 229K miles. My experience, plus several oil analyses, etc, was that Rotella T6 oil, Valvoline MaxLife, cheapest pump DEF, Wix filters worked really really well in that powertrain. I often regret not getting the 3rd gen EcoD.

myles

Reaction score
I'm interested in how many miles people have on there eco diesel and what if any problems they have had. Maybe add your oil change interval, and if you have had it tuned in as well.
2020 1500 longhorn ecodiesel
103k miles
Oil change every 10k
Trans every 50k
Transfer case/diffs every 30k
Walmart brand DEF

So far so good. Couple problems and recalls but most had been covered under warranty.
Only thing that wasnt was some DEF system sensor that was like $800 i think around like 60kish miles

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interestingly, my trip calculator, "B", reset itself after 10,000 miles. It's currently at 9,800 (total truck at 19,800). Curious what it'll do in 200 miles. But that indicator shows me the long-term mileage numbers. (Instead of the rolling 500 number in the eco calculator display.)
The trip meter does not retain MPG data - it too is a rolling average. If you want long-term MPG data, and ACCURATE data, use Fuelly to manually track your fill-ups.

DuckySaurusRex

Reaction score
just over 10k on the truck and no real problems so far besides a couple minor things on delivery...However I have constantly had the app tell me my charging system needs work. But I have had the thing at the dealer 3 times and they have done full tests and nothing is wrong. I have had the truck actually yell at me too a few times but lately it has only been within the app. Other than that the thing has been solid.

heffy

Reaction score
just over 10k on the truck and no real problems so far besides a couple minor things on delivery...However I have constantly had the app tell me my charging system needs work. But I have had the thing at the dealer 3 times and they have done full tests and nothing is wrong. I have had the truck actually yell at me too a few times but lately it has only been within the app. Other than that the thing has been solid.
During the replaced of my fuel pump the dealer replaced my battery, since I've picked up the truck I constantly get the same alert. Dealer checked for codes and says no problem...

Therealdarkknight

Reaction score
Checking in:

2020 Limited EcoDiesel with 45k miles owned since 3/20
No issues with the Powertrain (knock on wood)
Oil changes with Amsoil European spec every ~7500 miles with a fuel filter every oil change (excessive but I dont care, its $40)
Occasional Diesel Kleen and Amsoil Cetane booster, more than likely not needed but I do it anyways

The issues:
Front 4wd actuator failed within the first 10k miles along with LKAS camera shortly after
Water intrusion from GPS Antenna, 3rd brake light, front windshield and rear window
Driveshaft was replaced because of noise (pretty sure the internal weights to keep it balanced broke off, but just speculating)
Ramboxes misaligned
Replaced sway bar end-links since mine was loosening and making a clunk sound, switched out with aftermarket solution
Gauge cluster hood is warped and separating away from dash (part has been on back order for me for 8 months)
Seat piping insert was falling out so the dealership pulled it all the way out and told me its not covered
Ram charger (wireless charger) warped and peeled away from center console

So long story short for me, I fully expected the Powertrain would be the issue but its been the most reliable aspect. I love the truck but hate the ticky tacky things FCA/STLA cant get right. I work from home but it’s our road trip vehicle and I will be getting a trailer soon to pull my Type R to the track. I got the truck for invoice ($62k) even though I special ordered it with every option (locker, MFT, RBs, etc.)

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: c3k

tom318

Reaction score
Checking in:

2020 Limited EcoDiesel with 45k miles wined since 3/20
No issues with the Powertrain (knock on wood)
Oil changes with Amsoil European spec every ~7500 miles with a fuel filter every oil change (excessive but I dont care, its $40)
Occasional Diesel Kleen and Amsoil Cetane booster, more than likely not needed but I do it anyways

The issues:
Front 4wd actuator failed within the first 10k miles along with LKAS camera shortly after
Water intrusion from GPS Antenna, 3rd brake light, front windshield and rear window
Driveshaft was replaced because of noise (pretty sure the internal weights to keep it balanced broke off, but just speculating)
Ramboxes misaligned
Replaced sway bar end-links since mine was loosening and making a clunk sound, switched out with aftermarket solution
Gauge cluster hood is warped and separating away from dash (part has been on back order for me for 8 months)
Seat piping insert was falling out so the dealership pulled it all the way out and told me its not covered
Ram charger (wireless charger) warped and peeled away from center console

So long story short for me, I fully expected the Powertrain would be the issue but its been the most reliable aspect. I love the truck but hate the ticky tacky things FCA/STLA cant get right. I work from home but it’s our road trip vehicle and I will be getting a trailer soon to pull my Type R to the track. I got the truck for invoice ($62k) even though I special ordered it with every option (locker, MFT, RBs, etc.)
Wow! That quite the list of small annoyances, i think id be very frustrated myself. I had 2 strange things happen this week but both seemed to have sorted themselves out.

1. As I was driving the dash flashed some kind of message about 115v Power and every electronic in the truck shut off and restarted after about a minute. Truck ran and gauges (minus the digital portion) continued to work. 1st time in 67k miles so I'm sure it was some power glitch.

2. I usually keep my truck inside, 1 left it out 1 night and when i went to reverse the brakes were making a very loud rubbing noise. After about 50ft of reversing it went away and haven't had it since. I think this is a common issue but haven't looked into it.

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hit 30,000 today. Have done 3 oil changes and will do a 4th soon. Been following maintenance to the T and doing stuff a tiny bit earlier than required. Had a dead OEM battery which was resolved. Had all recalls done so far. I did have hesitation with the throttle at green lights but that's been fixed with software.

tom318

Reaction score
Hit 30,000 today. Have done 3 oil changes and will do a 4th soon. Been following maintenance to the T and doing stuff a tiny bit earlier than required. Had a dead OEM battery which was resolved. Had all recalls done so far. I did have hesitation with the throttle at green lights but that's been fixed with software.
I have this random throttle hesitation as well but very inconsistent. Did the dealer sort this out with software or do you have anything aftermarket helping with that?

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
I have this random throttle hesitation as well but very inconsistent. Did the dealer sort this out with software or do you have anything aftermarket helping with that?
Hi Tom318, I noticed in my case that the little hesitation I had experienced went away when the dealership flashed the PCM during the Y81 DEF inducement recall. It only happened rarely to my particular truck but was still alarming when it did. It's been 7-8 months now and the throttle response has been just as expected, no hiccups or hesitation as of late. I do believe some aftermarket devices help, but I'm not sure which options work best.

tom318

Reaction score
Hi Tom318, I noticed in my case that the little hesitation I had experienced went away when the dealership flashed the PCM during the Y81 DEF inducement recall. It only happened rarely to my particular truck but was still alarming when it did. It's been 7-8 months now and the throttle response has been just as expected, no hiccups or hesitation as of late. I do believe some aftermarket devices help, but I'm not sure which options work best.
Sounds good! I haven't done that recall yet as I'm hoping to get all my recalls done on 1 visit once the HPFP fix is available. I'm not interested in any aftermarket options so its good to know that DEF recall my do it. Definitly have had a few sketchy moments with that hesitation, down right dangerious.

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
Sounds good! I haven't done that recall yet as I'm hoping to get all my recalls done on 1 visit once the HPFP fix is available. I'm not interested in any aftermarket options so its good to know that DEF recall my do it. Definitly have had a few sketchy moments with that hesitation, down right dangerious.
Oh yeah, I've had some bad ones when coming out of rolling stops/stop signs. Very glad the issue has been resolved. Hoping your recalls all go well!

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same. Mine has no hesitation since that update.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Last edited:

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Son has 55k zero issues GDE tune on his 2022. He has a pilot car business.

I've got a 22 2500 Cummins and a 14 ED both used for commercial towing. 57k on my Cummins zero issue. 894k on my ED as follows.
371k pushed a head gasket due to low coolant from an internally leaking EGR cooler.
423k since tuned it got an EGR cooler delete kit. It lasted longer but still cracked a head. The 5th gens resolved the cooling issues by relocating the intercooler away from in front of the radiator.
It got its second and final replacement engine. Expect the truck to make a million miles. BTW buddy got 452k out of his 4th gen ED prior to fuel system failure and we have one guy on the ED forum that has 517K still rolling.

1676243498916.png

Last edited:

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Son has 55k zero issues GDE tune on his 2022. He has a pilot car business.

I've got a 22 2500 Cummins and a 14 ED both used for commercial towing. 57k on my Cummins zero issue. 894k on my ED as follows.
371k pushed a head gasket due to low coolant from an internally leaking EGR cooler.
423k since tuned it got an EGR cooler delete kit. It lasted longer but still cracked a head. The 5th gens resolved the cooling issues by relocating the intercooler away from in front of the radiator.
It got its second and final replacement engine. Expect the truck to make a million miles. BTW buddy got 452k out of his 4th gen ED prior to fuel system failure and we have one guy on the ED forum that has 517K still rolling.

View attachment 151575
Always love seeing you post stuff like this 👍

Users who are viewing this thread