5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many miles on your Eco diesel?

dadtired

Reaction score
-2021 Bighorn Ecodiesel.
-28k miles a little over two years ownership. Averaging 26MPG with mixed driving.
-Oil every 10k miles.
-Bulk def from the local truck stop, stupid cheap and I know its fresh. Never spent more than $12 to fill the whole tank.
-Run Hotshots EDT in every tank. I know we don't tax the CP4 like the Cummins guys do but it's cheap insurance.

No issues yet. I do get the dead pedal hesitation from a stop every once in a while, just been too lazy to get the recall.

Chris3058

Ram Guru
Reaction score
55k kms (34k miles). Oil at 10-12k (6k-7k miles). First OCIs were every 5k as my first 8 were free. Fuel filters at every 2nd oil change. DEF from the truck stop pump. Hotshots extreme at oil changes and EDT every tank. Love this truck.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
-2021 Bighorn Ecodiesel.
-28k miles a little over two years ownership. Averaging 26MPG with mixed driving.
-Oil every 10k miles.
-Bulk def from the local truck stop, stupid cheap and I know its fresh. Never spent more than $12 to fill the whole tank.
-Run Hotshots EDT in every tank. I know we don't tax the CP4 like the Cummins guys do but it's cheap insurance.

No issues yet. I do get the dead pedal hesitation from a stop every once in a while, just been too lazy to get the recall.
Couple questions about 10k oil changes:
Are you oil sampling at any intervals?
Are you using a bypass filter system?

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought my '21 last July, used, with 17K on it.

I have put 19K miles on it since then, so sitting at 36K.

I take it to the dealer every 5K for an oil change. Had the fuel filter changed by the dealer at the 30K service.

I run BlueDEF Platinum DEF. $22 per jug from Walmart. Definitely more expensive than a truck stop pump, but in the grand scheme of things, chump change.

According to Fuelly, I have averaged 22.3 MPG over my 19K miles of ownership. Not very good compared to what others report. But, that is completely hand calculated - not relying on the built-in Lie-o-meter. And, it's way better than the 14.1 I averaged in my '19 with a Hemi/eTorque.

I'm not saving any money, but I do love how much longer I can go between fill-ups.

My dealer has me on a list to get the fuel pump recall done, as soon as they get the part.

dadtired

Reaction score
Couple questions about 10k oil changes:
Are you oil sampling at any intervals?
Are you using a bypass filter system?
No and no. Up till now I’ve been running what the clock on the dash tells me. I did plan on pulling a sample this time. Got a heck of a deal on the Quaker State Euro 5-W40 from Wal-Mart a while back and ran out last change so now trying to find an oil that’s not crazy expensive.

TSL

Reaction score
Those of you who run HostShots EDT : do you just squeeze in an ounce with each fill up ? I see on the bottle it gives 2 dosings which they call "premium" and "performance" : either 1 oz per 25 gal or 2 oz per 25 gal. I have the 33gal tank and for me a fillup is usually about 29gal. Just wondering how exact people try to be with the dosing.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Those of you who run HostShots EDT : do you just squeeze in an ounce with each fill up ? I see on the bottle it gives 2 dosings which they call "premium" and "performance" : either 1 oz per 25 gal or 2 oz per 25 gal. I have the 33gal tank and for me a fillup is usually about 29gal. Just wondering how exact people try to be with the dosing.
I have a 26gal tank and I do 2oz each fillup for no scientific reason. I’m just freaked out about the hpfp grenading itself. I buy it in a gallon at a time and pour it into a 32oz Stabil ez measure container that I cleaned out.

Edit: I always try to fill up at slightly below a quarter tank (around 110mi to empty on the range indicator) but if I feel the need to fill up at a half tank, I will put 1 ounce in. I try to still approximate it for the amount of fuel.

Last edited:

TSL

Reaction score
I have a 26gal tank and I do 2oz each fillup for no scientific reason. I’m just freaked out about the hpfp grenading itself. I buy it in a gallon at a time and pour it into a 32oz Stabil ez measure container that I cleaned out.

Edit: I always try to fill up at slightly below a quarter tank (around 110mi to empty on the range indicator) but if I feel the need to fill up at a half tank, I will put 1 ounce in. I try to still approximate it for the amount of fuel.
If I do 2 oz into a 33gal tank fillup then I'm sort of "splitting the difference" a bit between the two dosings! I would guess putting it in before filling the tank is probably the way to do it to ensure it gets mixed well ?

dadtired

Reaction score
If I do 2 oz into a 33gal tank fillup then I'm sort of "splitting the difference" a bit between the two dosings! I would guess putting it in before filling the tank is probably the way to do it to ensure it gets mixed well ?

2 oz per tank for me also. Drop it in before I fill so it can be mixed well and flushed down the fill neck.

Mchurch52

Reaction score
Same here, two ounces each fill up (which is usually 27-28 gal, I normally fill up with 1/8th tank remaining).

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t know if it matters and never gave it much thought, but I put the additive in first in hopes the fuel being pumped in mixes everything well.

alamgirian6329

Reaction score
2020: 58000 miles.

EDT: 3oz every fill-up (I fill up around 1/8 to 1/4th tank)
I also add LX4, 3 oz on top of EDT (this I have for the past 30K miles roughly, previously was EDT only since brand new first fill-up)

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
2020: 58000 miles.

EDT: 3oz every fill-up (I fill up around 1/8 to 1/4th tank)
I also add LX4, 3 oz on top of EDT (this I have for the past 30K miles roughly, previously was EDT only since brand new first fill-up)
I’m not sure if you’re aware, but EDT has LX4 in it already. I’m not saying you’re wrong by adding more, I’m just throwing it out there.

alamgirian6329

Reaction score
I’m not sure if you’re aware, but EDT has LX4 in it already. I’m not saying you’re wrong by adding more, I’m just throwing it out there.

I saw it has LX4 - but after reading about the CP4 and checking with Hotshot people, they said more cant be harmful - I mix 3oz EDT and about 3oz lx4 for refills approx 26-28 gallons (33 gallon tank)

Thats my preferred snake-oil formula :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I saw it has LX4 - but after reading about the CP4 and checking with Hotshot people, they said more cant be harmful - I mix 3oz EDT and about 3oz lx4 for refills approx 26-28 gallons (33 gallon tank)

Thats my preferred snake-oil formula :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s good to know, thanks. Did they give you any indication on what point it turns into no more lubrication being achieved and just wasting money?

Chris3058

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I eyeball it like my bourbon pours - so likely much more than I really need.

TSL

Reaction score

I'm going to have to get a hold of the "ez measure" container you mentioned, or just a suitable funnel I guess. So I put EDT in for the first time today when filling the tank ( I don't drive my truck a whole lot, got it last June and I'm only up to ~ 5400 miles so far ), and quickly discovered that dispensing it directly into the tank from the 1 oz measuring spout on the 16 oz bottle I bought is total pain in the butt. Because of that darn "flap" cap design they have. The neck on the bottle isn't at all suitable for depressing that flap. Had to use my finger to depress it.... yeah, messy operation. And some of it went the ground through the overflow in the process. Sheesh ! I looked at picture of the Stabil bottle and I see it has a much longer thinner neck. I can see why you use that.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a system. ;)

I bought a test-tube thing. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X5C2PDL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Whether it's my 50/50 Amsoil Cetane Boost/CleanerLube mix or straight Power Stroke Diesel Kleen (the former for my ecoDiesel, the latter for my TDi), I measure out ~10ml for each gallon of new fuel. A 15 gallon fill up? 150ml of lube and clean and boost. It's not exact. I'm frequently a little heavy handed on what I add.

I use a long funnel, a red one about a foot long and very narrow, and just pour it in after pushing the funnel past the flap.

Reactions: TSL

Greysky

Reaction score
I'm interested in how many miles people have on there eco diesel and what if any problems they have had. Maybe add your oil change interval, and if you have had it tuned in as well.
2020 Limited Eco Diesel 4x4 Max. Steel Metallic
9,400 miles, no problems. FCA y81 recall done with no noticeable change in performance or MPG. Waiting for dealership to received replacement parts for fuel pump recall.
2 Pennzoil Platinum Euro Spec. oil changes with filters. Plan to change engine oil every 10,000 miles or less depending on conditions and time.
3.92 ratio, Electronic locking rear, 33 gallon fuel tank, level 1 equipment group, trailer brake control, sunroof etc.
Only after market option Snug Top "rebel" shell with no noticeable MPG change. No additives yet.
Trip from Bozeman Montana to Placerville CA 935 miles average 26.3 MPG. Local mixed mountain road driving CA Sierra foothills 22 MPG. Towing a 19 foot 4,000 pound fiberglass trailer to Mount Shasta 4,700 elevation and back 622 miles 18.6 MPG. mostly freeway.
I experienced far to many gear change's towing with my Ram 5.7 hemi so switched to the Gen 3 Eco diesel. I like it much better. Not much fuel savings with the higher diesel costs. The 5.7 hemi got 13.8 MPG. towing the same trailer.

Users who are viewing this thread