5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many key fobs can you have.

travicaster

Reaction score
Anyone know the max number of key fobs you can have? I am taking my 2020 Laramie in to get back window leak fixed and a second key fob. I was going to take the two I already have from my totaled 2019 Bighorn and see if the can program 4 total.

Anyone have any experience in this area?

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
  1. To program a RAM key fob, you must already have a functioning key fob.
  2. During the 30-second programming sequence, you can add up to three additional key fobs.
  3. Turn your key to the ON position, but don’t start the engine.
  4. For 4-10 seconds, press and hold both the unlock button and the panic button at the same time.
  5. Release both buttons, and listen for a chime.
  6. Press and release the unlock button on any other remotes you want to add within 30 seconds from hearing the chime.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Anyone know the max number of key fobs you can have? I am taking my 2020 Laramie in to get back window leak fixed and a second key fob. I was going to take the two I already have from my totaled 2019 Bighorn and see if the can program 4 total.

Anyone have any experience in this area?
It is in the owner's manual that a key fob can not be reprogrammed, pg. 28.
NOTE: Once a key fob is programmed to a vehicle, it
cannot be repurposed and reprogrammed to another vehicle

Last edited:

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is in the owner's manual that a key fob can not be reprogrammed, pg. 28.
NOTE: Once a key fob is programmed to a vehicle, it
cannot be repurposed and reprogrammed to another vehicle
Which is why I would caution folks from purchasing used one online. I know three people who bought one used and all three were not reprogrammable.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 029673 miles.

travicaster

Reaction score
I see that in the owners manual now. I am going to drop it off at the dealer for leak tomorrow and to get a second key. I’ll see what they do With my old keys.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I see that in the owners manual now. I am going to drop it off at the dealer for leak tomorrow and to get a second key. I’ll see what they do With my old keys.

Hi travicaster,

If you are in need of any additional support while working with your dealer, please do not hesitate to send us a private message.

Mark
RamCares

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
  1. To program a RAM key fob, you must already have a functioning key fob.
  2. During the 30-second programming sequence, you can add up to three additional key fobs.
  3. Turn your key to the ON position, but don’t start the engine.
  4. For 4-10 seconds, press and hold both the unlock button and the panic button at the same time.
  5. Release both buttons, and listen for a chime.
  6. Press and release the unlock button on any other remotes you want to add within 30 seconds from hearing the chime.
Is it confirmed that this works on the 5th gen new body style Rams?

Users who are viewing this thread