5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long do u keep your trucks ?

BigD

Reaction score
Personally I've never kept any vehicle more than 6 years. I'm thinking of trading in my Ram every 3 yrs now right b4 the bumper to bumper warranty expires. Anyone else do that ? What's the resale value like after 3 years ? I know they lose a ton of value in 1st & 2nd year, & then start to level off in yrs 3 & 4. What's the best time to trade them in to get the most bang for your buck, but also not risk an expensive repair bill ?

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score
This isn’t really answering ur question, but have u ever considered leasing? Since u said ur looking to trade in every three years now. That way, you’ll never worry about how much value ur vehicle has or if ur upside down on a loan.

Downytide

Reaction score
My worst one was 6 months, longest one is 4 years, but this one is different, besides I want to mod it with tires and wheels, I'm no longer looking for something "better" to replace it with.

Before I would often look up what's better than what I already have and test drive it and see if its worthwhile pursuit, but this one, I'm happy with it.

ryanJ

Reaction score
Kept my 06 Ram for 10 years, had a silverado for 2 years, back in a Ram that I hope to keep for another 10

Sign Man

Reaction score
Kept my 06 Ram for 10 years, had a silverado for 2 years, back in a Ram that I hope to keep for another 10

My Ram 1500 Express is a 2013. Right now it has 163,000 miles but its still is running great. At the end of the year I think I will replace it . It will be 8 years old. The previous Ram had 155,000 on it and I sold it at 8 years.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had my 2014 Ram for 4.5 years, and I had a 2005 Titan for 9 years before that. I'll probably stick to every 4-5 years from hear on out. I prefer to keep a somewhat newer vehicle as a daily driver. When I traded my 2014 sport I thought I got a good trade in on it. I only paid 35K for it new and got 22K after 4.5 years.

heydre

Reaction score
Had my '95 GMC Sierra for 20 years and have had my Silverado for 6 years...going to be a Ram soon.

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I traded in my 13 Elantra after 7 years / 200,000 kms (120 miles)
Rust started on tailgate and engine sounded worst than a bucket of bolts. Was time to see it go.

Was surprised I made it to 200 (2 days before driving it in for the trade-in)

I would be uoset if a RAM can’t outlast a Hyundai...

drew7811

Reaction score
I tend to keep my vehicles for a good 7-8 years at least. My I kept my '11 Ram for right at 8 years and traded it in with 155k miles on it. Sounds like you need to look into leasing if you are looking to get something different every few years.

BigD

Reaction score
I tend to keep my vehicles for a good 7-8 years at least. My I kept my '11 Ram for right at 8 years and traded it in with 155k miles on it. Sounds like you need to look into leasing if you are looking to get something different every few years.
How much did u get for your trade ?

drew7811

Reaction score
It was an '11 Ram Laramie 2wd and I took $9500 on it. They didn't have to do a thing to it and it was on the dealer website 3 days later. It wasn't even on there long enough to list a price and then it's gone. It was a great truck. I only hope my '19 will treat me equally as well.

Majortom

Reaction score
I just handed the keys for my 2002 F-150 Lariat to my sister yesterday. Other than heater core needing to be replaced it’s in great condition inside and out. About 3 1/2 years ago I upgraded the radio to touchscreen Bluetooth CarPlay and replaced the leather and foam in the driver’s seat.

STR

Reaction score
About three years. Sometimes less, but never more than five... Although my intentions at the time of purchase is to keep it a long time.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My intentions are to keep vehicles as long as possible. I always have use for them depending on my needs. That’s why I usually buy myself a car and a truck at the same time.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Previous truck was 12 years, 160k miles. Only got rid of it because I needed a Crew Cab, otherwise I would have had it another 5-8 or until it died. New vehicles are only a money loss, so if you want to take a 40% or more hit on a $40-60k truck every 3 years you're just throwing money away for the "latest and greatest" that isn't really that new.

Reverendbiker

Reaction score
About three years. Sometimes less, but never more than five... Although my intentions at the time of purchase is to keep it a long time.
That makes me feel much better--it's exactly my pattern. I know that the smartest thing is to buy a reliable vehicle and keep it until the wheels fall off, but I tend to replace my truck every 3 years. Always pay cash. It;s a sickness...

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My intentions are to keep vehicles as long as possible. I always have use for them depending on my needs. That’s why I usually buy myself a car and a truck at the same time.
Ditto, except we alternate purchases by 5 years or so, such that we always have something newer and never have two payments.

Users who are viewing this thread