5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long do u keep your trucks ?

STR

Reaction score
That makes me feel much better--it's exactly my pattern. I know that the smartest thing is to buy a reliable vehicle and keep it until the wheels fall off, but I tend to replace my truck every 3 years. Always pay cash. It;s a sickness...
Yes, a sickness... ha, but it’s nice to have the latest and greatest. I think back to my earlier trucks, and these new ones certainly have the creature comforts. Who would’ve thought that you could get a truck from the factory with a 12” touch screen display and 19 speakers...

GAscooter

Reaction score
I had my last truck for 13 years. I plan to keep this one for 20 years, or until the kids take my keys away, or until I die, whichever comes first. That was part of my justification for getting a truck this nice. It’s very unlike me. It’s as nice as any vehicle I’ve been in.

Stevenc150

Reaction score
Previously the max I tried to stay under is 100K miles since there's seemingly a big drop in value beyond that. But with this loaded Lhorn (& all its gadgets & electronics) I'll prob look to offload within the b-to-b 100K warranty

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm shooting for 10 on this truck. I think I've got a good cycle going. I purchased my Mazda 3 in 2014 and I started really wanting something else in 2019. However, I knew I wouldn't get rid of it because I knew I was buying a truck this year and that's my commuter. So now I have a 2014 w/ 150k on the odo that I'm comfortable driving til the wheels fall off while I baby my 2020. By the time the wheels fall off the mazda (hopefully 5 more good yrs on it) it will be time for a new commuter. So I'm hopeful that getting a new vehicle of some type every 5-7ish yrs will keep me happy.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My Dad passed away February of 2019 at the age of 89 owning a 1996 Ford Crown Victoria, giving him pleasure the whole ownership time. He always maintained the car and even with a few minor mishaps later on (that he had repaired, body work/paint) looked as good as a non garage kept could. Financially he was capable of purchasing any vehicle of his choosing but nothing was replacing that full sized, rear wheel drive, V-8 driven classic.
I figure I picked up a gene when it comes to car ownership and attachment. I purchased my ordered Ram in Nov. 2018 at the age of 63. Doing the math I'll be 86 when the Ram is 23 yrs. old or the Ram will be 26 yrs. old when I'm 89. If I follow my father hopefully it will be the latter of the two.
My father would be happy knowing it went to the financially strapped neighbor a few doors down, not so happy the way the car is taking some "hits".

Purchased the Mopar "Lifetime Warranty" and I hope never need to use it, but realistically expect some payback.

Still driving my 2001 Dodge Ram SLT for the "dirty" work and have dumped an unreasonable $$$ amount recently maintaining it (need to have them brakes) BUT it's a TRUCK. My brother has a 2000 Dodge 2500 with the Cummins diesel and is looking at doing the body work for more than the truck is worth, BUT it's a Cummins' diesel and what does a Ram 2500 cost these days. No issues with the Cummins motor just everything else.

So if it goes as planned at the present moment the Ram will be with me as per marriage vows and my 3 sons can figure out what to do with dad's rig. Of course that doesn't mean I won't spend some of their inheritance on something else. What colors does the Corvette C8 come in?

1996_mercury_grand_marquis_4_dr_ls_sedan-pic-13161-640x480.jpeg

Last edited:

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I kept my 1995 Ram 1500 for 9 years and 100k miles. My brother bought it and drove it another couple years before selling it. Truck was perfect and never needed any unscheduled maintenance
I kept my 2010 Ram 1500 Hemi for 9-1/2 years and 125k miles. Truck still looked and ran like new. This truck was also fantastic and never needed repairs outside a wheel bearing at 120k miles.
I have had two Durango’s that were also great reliable vehicles but I only kept them for 3 years each. All my other vehicles I do not usually keep as long as my trucks but they all have been Chrysler vehicles and they all have been reliable. I also use my trucks to tow and haul quite a bit, so they are not pampered but they are well taken care of.

Users who are viewing this thread