5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How i added rear lights

2slow95vert

Reaction score

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Looks good. I notice you also have the VLEDS LPR. How does the light output of your new lights compare to the VLEDS?

I’ve found the VLEDS mostly adequate, and a huge improvement over stock, but it doesn’t give much close-up light due to its position and cut-off from the bumper. Looks like this would address that.

2slow95vert

Reaction score
The new lights are waaaay brighter than the vLEDs. Those are wired to come on as reverse lights. The new ones I wired to a switch.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The new lights are waaaay brighter than the vLEDs. Those are wired to come on as reverse lights. The new ones I wired to a switch.
Are they too bright for reverse lights? As in, would I blind someone if I’m backing up in a parking lot, for instance?

2slow95vert

Reaction score
Are they too bright for reverse lights? As in, would I blind someone if I’m backing up in a parking lot, for instance?
Maybe. I'll have to take another look at them. Amazon also had a smaller version of these lights.

U

User_34235

Look forward to seeing a night shot. Those brackets look like they clean things up pretty good too

slicktop

Reaction score
Damn. I wish I had thought of this or seen it before I put mine in the little plastic things on the bottom of the bumper (where your reverse sensors are). Great idea!

Red Rider

Reaction score
Great idea. is the trailer hitch you are mounting to factory or aftermarket. What size clamps did you use (3”?).

teamroper60

Reaction score
I had been looking for a way to mount my extra backup lights. That clamp looks to be the ticket, so I ordered a set today. Thanks for the tip!

U

User_34235

Were you able to get a couple of night shots to include what it looks like on your back up camera?

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Those look like they would out out plenty of light. Like others here, looking forward to night pics :cool:

U

User_34235

That looks great. I am all about being able to see regardless if I blind someone....lol
Are you still running the VLED's?

U

User_34235

Thought you mentioned that but wanted to be certain. Thanks for the pictures. Great job

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this. I have completely stolen the idea and just got my lights and wiring harness today. The mounts will be here tomorrow. Unfortunately the wiring harness is WAY too short, so I have to go get some more wire and waterproof connectors tomorrow to do the install.

Where and how did you mount the switch?

2slow95vert

Reaction score
This is the switch box and connectors I used. I mounted it in my center console. Had to unbolt the console to drill a small hole in it and run the wire from under hood. Was pretty easy and quick. will get a pic of it in the truck later.
Only problem with the switch panel is the leads are pretty short and have crimp on ends. I'm going to solder in extensions with bullet connectors or something on the end.

SWATOW 4x4 6 Gang Switch Panel,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NN6VWW4?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Nilight - 50020R 2Pin Way 16AWG... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FJPMML6?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is EXTREMELY helpful to me at this moment...thanks for posting. I just got a set of LED's that I intend to use as reverse lights...the factory LED reverse are damn near useless. I was thinking about wiring one up as a reverse light and the other as a switched light. Seeing your pictures gives me confidence that this is doable for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread