5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you update the GPS maps?

2001gw

Reaction score
Is it a download or is there an SD Card hidden somewhere in the GPS?

2001gw

Reaction score
Yes, I have received the the email. That's why I was asking. ;)

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
But they will still be 2 Year old maps. They were 2 years old when I bought my '21 Laramie.
So 1 year later they will still be 2 years out of date. I have noticed a bunch of roads that are
30-35 MPH and the Maps have them at a default setting of 55 MPH.

Malodave

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Is it a download or is there an SD Card hidden somewhere in the GPS?
FYI - some additional information and opinions.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I can't compare having a non-Nav 8.4, but Android Auto and Waze is pretty amazing, and free

Yankee Echo

Reaction score
Waze, Google, Apple, etc maps are all way better than the baked-in maps.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Geeze Guys! All I asked was, are the map updates a download or an SD card?! :oops:

Seriously! And still no answer.

On the plus side, I followed the link that @Richard320 posted, put in my Application version from my Uconnect, and the website is offering me a map update for $99 with free shipping. I have a '21 1500. The update says it is the 2021 Map Update, so I don't reckon I'm going to buy it. It may be newer than what I have, but if it is, I don't reckon it's enough different to be worth spending $99 on. Maybe I'll spring for an update in a couple of years.

But I still don't know how the map updates are delivered. My GUESS, from all that stuff I read, is that it is delivered on a USB thumb drive.

So the next question is, do they somehow lock the map data so you cannot use the same USB thumb drive to load the maps on more than one truck?

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Seriously! And still no answer.

On the plus side, I followed the link that @Richard320 posted, put in my Application version from my Uconnect, and the website is offering me a map update for $99 with free shipping. I have a '21 1500. The update says it is the 2021 Map Update, so I don't reckon I'm going to buy it. It may be newer than what I have, but if it is, I don't reckon it's enough different to be worth spending $99 on. Maybe I'll spring for an update in a couple of years.

But I still don't know how the map updates are delivered. My GUESS, from all that stuff I read, is that it is delivered on a USB thumb drive.

So the next question is, do they somehow lock the map data so you cannot use the same USB thumb drive to load the maps on more than one truck?

I'd assume it is locked to your particular radio serial number. That is how my wife's Infiniti navigation update was protected.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd assume it is locked to your particular radio serial number. That is how my wife's Infiniti navigation update was protected.

I wonder how they do that, but my questions about it are still dependent on the answer to the OP's question. How do they deliver it? If it's a download, it's easy to imagine how they could lock it to a particular radio. But, if you buy it and they ship you a USB thumb drive, what would stop you from copying the thumb drive before you do the install and then giving the copy to someone?

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I let my GuardianXM subscription expire and never renewed it. I just noticed that I can't use the built-in GPS anymore. Every time I try to enter an address, it says searching offline and it doesn't find anything. So I'm assuming the built-in GPS is basically useless without the Guardian subscription???

I usually use Google maps anyway.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I let my GuardianXM subscription expire and never renewed it. I just noticed that I can't use the built-in GPS anymore. Every time I try to enter an address, it says searching offline and it doesn't find anything. So I'm assuming the built-in GPS is basically useless without the Guardian subscription???

I usually use Google maps anyway.
You have to type in the address and factory Nav will work. But it won't search for POIs or businesses

yellowboy

Reaction score
So can you continue to use the truck map gps
indefinitely even if out of date or does it stop working after so many years ?

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You have to type in the address and factory Nav will work. But it won't search for POIs or businesses
(y) I'll play around with it some more. Not that I use it often.

I think the SiriusXM traffic is good for only 5yrs correct?

834k3r

Reaction score
With CarPLay, I have never found a compelling reason to use the built-in gps. The maps are always outdated and it lacks soooo many features CarPlay offers. But hey, that's just me.
I know it's not exactly on-topic, but there are some areas of the west that still are cell reception deserts. In those areas the factory nav is useful. I get why the OP wants to update his maps; I want to as well.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I know it's not exactly on-topic, but there are some areas of the west that still are cell reception deserts. In those areas the factory nav is useful. I get why the OP wants to update his maps; I want to as well.
Before paying for an update, look at what areas the update effects. They usually only fucus on specific areas for the updates as opposed to a broad nationwide update. If nothing is updated Ilin the areas you are concerned about, then no need to pay for it.

As far as cell phone reception you can download offline maps for specific areas, so if you lose cell reception, the maps still work

mtnbikej

Reaction score
My 2015 still has the original map….there are new housing tracts, freeway ramps and roads that didn’t exist in 2015….causes havoc when using the factory navigation.

Users who are viewing this thread