5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you update the GPS maps?

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
started to use Android Auto more and more on my 19 Limited, vs. the factory Nav....oem one is just so stupidly clunky to use, and so outdated...the A-Auto is miles better.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
started to use Android Auto more and more on my 19 Limited, vs. the factory Nav....oem one is just so stupidly clunky to use, and so outdated...the A-Auto is miles better.

If it was wireless, I would likely do that, too. But, it's not and having the cable plugged in while trying to keep my phone in the wireless charging pad slot is annoying AF.

I often end up having them both running at the same time (factory nav and Maps on my phone).

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Good point. I had not looked into that stuff since I first got my '19 and decided wireless AA was going to be too much of a PITA to fool with at that time. I didn't know about these new options.

I probably would have ordered that Motorola, but it's not in stock on Amazon. In looking around, I learned about the AA Wireless adapter that is basically the same as the Motorola - except it looks better and a little less expensive. It is $90. And I was able to order one. So I did. I should receive it by the end of next week, I think.

Thanks for the prod!

ps. Cheaper than a map update for my Uconnect! LOL

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it was wireless, I would likely do that, too. But, it's not and having the cable plugged in while trying to keep my phone in the wireless charging pad slot is annoying AF.

I often end up having them both running at the same time (factory nav and Maps on my phone).
ya I hear you on that...personally I don't care for the wireless charger pad that much, seems to take forever to charge up the phone. I just use a cable and put the phone in the non-charging side of the holder. Charges way faster and lets me use th A-Auto too.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I wonder how they do that, but my questions about it are still dependent on the answer to the OP's question. How do they deliver it? If it's a download, it's easy to imagine how they could lock it to a particular radio. But, if you buy it and they ship you a USB thumb drive, what would stop you from copying the thumb drive before you do the install and then giving the copy to someone?
Not sure about Ram but to answer your questions about other makes they lock the software via vin number. If you apply the update to a vehicle with a different vin it will not install.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
ya I hear you on that...personally I don't care for the wireless charger pad that much, seems to take forever to charge up the phone. I just use a cable and put the phone in the non-charging side of the holder. Charges way faster and lets me use th A-Auto too.

The wireless charging pad is slow. I usually get in my truck with my phone pretty well charged. I keep the phone on the charging pad to keep it charged while driving, versus it slowly running down while driving.

Also, if I have the phone screen turned off, it WILL charge it while driving - even if it's running Maps to navigate me. It is slow, but on a long drive, it will still charge it up from almost dead to full.

If my phone is running Maps to navigate and the screen is on, then it probably won't charge, but I think it doesn't run down, either.

Not sure about Ram but to answer your questions about other makes they lock the software via vin number. If you apply the update to a vehicle with a different vin it will not install.

Understood. But, the question is, what would stop someone from copying the USB thumb drive before installing the maps, and then installing from the copy? Are they encoding your VIN into what is on the thumb drive they send you? That seems like a lot of work for them - but maybe that is partly why the update is 100 bucks.

Rick J

Reaction score
The wireless charging pad is slow. I usually get in my truck with my phone pretty well charged. I keep the phone on the charging pad to keep it charged while driving, versus it slowly running down while driving.

Also, if I have the phone screen turned off, it WILL charge it while driving - even if it's running Maps to navigate me. It is slow, but on a long drive, it will still charge it up from almost dead to full.

If my phone is running Maps to navigate and the screen is on, then it probably won't charge, but I think it doesn't run down, either.

Understood. But, the question is, what would stop someone from copying the USB thumb drive before installing the maps, and then installing from the copy? Are they encoding your VIN into what is on the thumb drive they send you? That seems like a lot of work for them - but maybe that is partly why the update is 100 bucks.
I just did the update. The way they lock it to one vehicle is by activation code. You have to submit your VIN and Product Serial Number and they provide an activation code. The product serial number comes with the USB thumb drive. The instructions come with a website address of https://www.navigation.com/VP4Ractivate. This is not a valid website address. I had to call them and they directed me to chrysler.navigation.com. That is where you put in all the required information and then they give you an activation code. I had to submit my VIN when I ordered the update and I believe they attach the product serial number to that VIN. Update went smooth. Unlike many of you, I like the nav system and haven't had any issues with it. It's way better than the one in my wife's Honda Odyssey and equal to the Garmin Nuvi that I have on my motorcycle, even though the Nuvi has lifetime updates and gets updated about once a year.

Majortom

Reaction score
I know it's not exactly on-topic, but there are some areas of the west that still are cell reception deserts. In those areas the factory nav is useful. I get why the OP wants to update his maps; I want to as well.
You can still use Waze even without cell service. The company I used to work for had an “car engine on, cellphone off” rule for a few years. A couple years later they modified it. When driving for company business, we had to put the phone in airplane mode to allow use of GPS.

I’ve loaded routes before departing. The navigation works just fine. You just don’t get in route changes, traffic updates, or ads.

Users who are viewing this thread