5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you justify if you need an extended warranty?

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, with the recent news of the Maxcare lifetime plan ending, I’ve got some thinking to do.

My original plan of attack for this truck was to lease for the first time and give the truck 3 years to prove itself to me and buy it or return it. I have switched out cars every few years the last four vehicles, but they were all growing in size and each purchase I knew “my dream truck would have been a fully loaded half ton”. Well I have that now, and I can’t fathom that I’d want anything else, so I’ve got to do the math on if this warranty is a good option for me.

The major question is, at what length of ownership are you all justifying getting the lifetime plan. My concerns are when I’m 10 years down the road with 200k on the odometer and the truck is teetering on repairs that are worth it’s value, would I be comfortable even driving that truck on a long road trip? May seem like a dumb question but i started in the $300 Nissan Sentra club in high school and I’m very interested in never feeling like my car is that unreliable again. In 10 years I will have a 13 and 11 year old, and minimizing getting stuck on the side of the road would be nice. I’ve got enough information and number crunching to confuse myself, but I thought it may be helpful for a lot of members here to hear how the process has worked for other owners and what factors they used to justify purchasing the plan. Cheers!

BiLlYDeE

Reaction score
If you're going to put on that many miles, I agree with you to pass on the Lifetime warranty given the truck's depreciation in 10 years / 200k miles.

I bought the Lifetime warranty as I envision about 120k miles in 10 years and it should still hold decent equity.

cruz-in

Reaction score
For us it was easy. Last two vehicles we had for 13ish years. One was a Toyota and on a Honda. Both very reliable brands. During the second 100K miles each, the reapirs cost us much more than the $2990 cost of the Lifetime Warranty. Plus we are entering retirement and limiting surprise expenses is nice.

KJRam

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am judging it on my prior experience and my FCA track record says I shouldn’t go without extended care else I plan to get rid of it at 3 years. I hope this truck proves me wrong- but I received a lot more in value then I paid on my current vehicle. I bought the lifetime for the Ram. I wish I bought the lifetime at the time of my current vehicle but I didn’t have the extra to spend and bought the 7yr 100k at the time. I really wish I had managed to get the lifetime...

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, with the recent news of the Maxcare lifetime plan ending, I’ve got some thinking to do.

My original plan of attack for this truck was to lease for the first time and give the truck 3 years to prove itself to me and buy it or return it. I have switched out cars every few years the last four vehicles, but they were all growing in size and each purchase I knew “my dream truck would have been a fully loaded half ton”. Well I have that now, and I can’t fathom that I’d want anything else, so I’ve got to do the math on if this warranty is a good option for me.

The major question is, at what length of ownership are you all justifying getting the lifetime plan. My concerns are when I’m 10 years down the road with 200k on the odometer and the truck is teetering on repairs that are worth it’s value, would I be comfortable even driving that truck on a long road trip? May seem like a dumb question but i started in the $300 Nissan Sentra club in high school and I’m very interested in never feeling like my car is that unreliable again. In 10 years I will have a 13 and 11 year old, and minimizing getting stuck on the side of the road would be nice. I’ve got enough information and number crunching to confuse myself, but I thought it may be helpful for a lot of members here to hear how the process has worked for other owners and what factors they used to justify purchasing the plan. Cheers!

I did lifetime as I drive like 18,000-20,000 miles a year.

Its an insurance policy for me basically, and with everything that can go wrong with electronics these days, especially on a first model year build, I'm willing to pay the money for piece and mind.

Best way I can describe it....my truck was one of the ones that had to have the 12 inch entertainment system replaced at the beginning under warranty due to the navigation issue...I got a quick glace at the price of the replacement screen and I think it was somewhere around $1200. Add labor into that after. Now imagine that coming our of your pocket if you want heat, radio, etc. Thats more than likely at least 1/2 to 2/3 the cost of the lifetime warranty.

KJRam

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I also rationalize- keep it 10 years, maybe much more, maybe less. 2950@120 months is less then 25 dollars a month for a full mechanical insurance policy.

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The air ride system on 2019 is also a new design so that was the kicker for me to get the lifetime.

If there is a chance you won’t keep it for long, also check if your auto insurance has mechanical breakdown coverage. I have Geico and it covers similar items as extended warranty 5 years 100,000 miles. Cost is much cheaper than normal extended warranty.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I drive vehicles for 10-14 years. I figured the cost of repairing air suspension and computer technology alone during the next ten years will more than pay for my warranty.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I drive vehicles for 10-14 years. I figured the cost of repairing air suspension and computer technology alone during the next ten years will more than pay for my warranty.

Had both old cars for 13 years... the Honda had 198K and the Dakota had 138K...
And yeah... all that new tech is pricey to replace.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The AC unit uses a newer and expensive "freon" (10X the previous cost?) and the transmission (now 8 speed) is a sealed unit from what I can recall reading.
When checking out dealerships to purchase my Ram the sales person relayed a story of a person trading in a 4 year old Ram due to the $4000 repair bill for the AC. Don't know the cost to replace a 2019 transmission but my 2001, 2-3 years ago was 3K+ at about 78,000 miles. My brothers 2000 Dodge 2500 has been expensive to maintain the AC. I gave up on the AC as I only use mine for work and live in the northeast.
I'm not a mechanic, maybe someone who deals with these issues can give a more educated analysis.
How many years before an AC system needs service and at what cost? What factors influence these repairs? My personal experience has not been good other than a 1985 and 1990 Toyota.

wthomps79

Reaction score
Where did you see that the maxcare warranty was being ended? I've searched and couldn't find it anywhere.

KJRam

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Where did you see that the maxcare warranty was being ended? I've searched and couldn't find it anywhere.
Just lifetime not the maxcare. It’s supposed to be announced today or tomorrow that the last date to purchase the lifetime will be nov 30th.

Users who are viewing this thread