5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I know which front axle fits my Ram 3500?

OTG_one

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I'll save you all of the details, but I've got a damaged front axle that needs replacing. I've been putting it off for sometime, but after some additional off roading, we can't get the alignment close to Carli's wheel alignment specs (aftermarket suspension). The caster is off like 3+ degrees on one side now, so other than driving around town, I can't take it off roading and overlanding (which I do quite frequently and why I bought the truck).

My off road shop has recommended I try to find a complete front axle setup (axle, axle housing, knuckles, rotors, etc) from a salvage yard. But this is where things get tricky. I'm trying to avoid at all costs buying all new parts, as it will be exponentially more expensive than sourcing an axle from a salvaged truck (Mopar doesn't sell it as a single unit, so you have to buy each piece and then have it assembled by the shop or dealer). Apparently, Ram started using new axle housing at some point in 2022 I believe. And while my Ram 3500 (full specs below) is a 2022 model, it was built in late 2021. I never thought it'd be so friggin hard to figure out if the axle setup from another truck will work for mine, but it is! Unfortunately, my dealer is of little help since I'm not getting the work done there (and they're 800 mile away). I'm wondering if someone out there might be able to help me determine if a front axle setup from another truck will work on mine, or they can point me to an online resource and tell me what I need to verify to confirm the axle will work with my truck.

One more nugget of info. Apparently this is the front axle housing that my truck uses (part 68453205AB), but I have no idea what other years use this. This was provided by my dealer, and I haven't been able to find info on the axle housing when trying to look up my VIN on a ram dealer or on sites like moparonlineparts.com, which seems to use the same database. When I do punch in my vin, it brings me to this page: Front Axle Assembly for 2022 Ram 3500 | Mopar Online Parts

My Truck
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab, 4x4, regular bed
Laramie Trim
Single Rear Wheel, 3.73 gear ratio
6.7 cummins standard output (with the ****ty transmission)

AP1GczNiiQ-OFiwT0aKIpOBw2mZe7ut5.jpg

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I'll save you all of the details, but I've got a damaged front axle that needs replacing. I've been putting it off for sometime, but after some additional off roading, we can't get the alignment close to Carli's wheel alignment specs (aftermarket suspension). The caster is off like 3+ degrees on one side now, so other than driving around town, I can't take it off roading and overlanding (which I do quite frequently and why I bought the truck).

My off road shop has recommended I try to find a complete front axle setup (axle, axle housing, knuckles, rotors, etc) from a salvage yard. But this is where things get tricky. I'm trying to avoid at all costs buying all new parts, as it will be exponentially more expensive than sourcing an axle from a salvaged truck (Mopar doesn't sell it as a single unit, so you have to buy each piece and then have it assembled by the shop or dealer). Apparently, Ram started using new axle housing at some point in 2022 I believe. And while my Ram 3500 (full specs below) is a 2022 model, it was built in late 2021. I never thought it'd be so friggin hard to figure out if the axle setup from another truck will work for mine, but it is! Unfortunately, my dealer is of little help since I'm not getting the work done there (and they're 800 mile away). I'm wondering if someone out there might be able to help me determine if a front axle setup from another truck will work on mine, or they can point me to an online resource and tell me what I need to verify to confirm the axle will work with my truck.

One more nugget of info. Apparently this is the front axle housing that my truck uses (part 68453205AB), but I have no idea what other years use this. This was provided by my dealer, and I haven't been able to find info on the axle housing when trying to look up my VIN on a ram dealer or on sites like moparonlineparts.com, which seems to use the same database. When I do punch in my vin, it brings me to this page: Front Axle Assembly for 2022 Ram 3500 | Mopar Online Parts

My Truck
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab, 4x4, regular bed
Laramie Trim
Single Rear Wheel, 3.73 gear ratio
6.7 cummins standard output (with the ****ty transmission)

View attachment 185661
You might have better luck in the Homepage - HD Rams forum. This is the 5th Gen 1500 Rams site.

Users who are viewing this thread