5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How did you seal your tailgate?

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ya, I don't get the big gap at the top of my truck, where the RamBox rails come all the way back to the tailgate. It is over an inch wide...what are folks plugging this with?

Same here. I can fit my hand in that space when the tailgate is closed. It’s absolutely massive!

mingya

Reaction score
I have had the same issue on the very top between the tailgate and the bed. I think its more space when using a hard trifold cover as they don't come back far enough. Not sure about other hard trifold covers but my undercover seems like its about an inch short. I am trying to adjust it so the cover closes pretty much against the tailgate to have the rubber seal cover that space as much as possible. But with this cover it leaves a 3/4" space at the front of the bulkhead. but that space is ridiculous. I just don't get why I see so many issues on these trucks. Reading some of the post where people have to either do it themselves or bring it to a dealer cause there doors are out of alignment. And thats pretty minor compared to some others issues. I have 800 miles on my truck. I took my creeper and looked on the underside of the truck and I can't believe the amount of rust. I know there will be some but this is ridiculous. You can see that there's no primer or paint protection on areas of the frame and the some of the body where there are are several ares of primed spots that were supposed to get touched up or.... It seems like they have taken out some quality control or final inspection process all together. Spending over $50k on a truck with SO many issues and getting away with it. Personally I think the government needs to step in on this. But where they get everything for free they don't give a ****. Theres nothing of quality on anything anymore. You can't even purchase an appliance without it having problems within a year or two. Thing is to the average Joe these things are alot of money and to have to them breakdown that fast is crazy. As a contractor if I gave customers that kind of quality I would be out of business. Paying $50k plus for a truck that you have to leave at a dealership for who knows how long, gets ya pretty aggravated to say the least. Not being able to get your equipment or supplies to a job site. Sorry customer #4-5 but my new truck is in the shop again. Really! Kind of defeats the purpose of spending all that money not just for the truck but the price you pay for ins, registration... Ya ya have a great looking truck but... Ok I'm done lol 2nd pic is with a light inside the tailgate 06phY6STQy2y0N7yu9TU2w.jpg 4EK6WAhXSIaCknyxF7QBdA.jpg

vinnieloo

Reaction score
Here's what i did with the extang one. Seals up to the upper bump stop. It is a thick gasket. I ran a rearward sloped horizontal piece at the top to run water backwards. With the LOMAX i had to get thick weatherstripping to seal the bulkhead due to the height of the bed side plastic caps. LOMAX seals to tailgate really well. Only water i get is tiny trickle at the front where water is getting under the plastic side caps. Thinking of caulking that gap.
How i applied. 20200621_124328.jpg
From inside 20200621_124406.jpg
Top "gutter" 20200621_124324.jpg

mingya

Reaction score
Here's what i did with the extang one. Seals up to the upper bump stop. It is a thick gasket. I ran a rearward sloped horizontal piece at the top to run water backwards. With the LOMAX i had to get thick weatherstripping to seal the bulkhead due to the height of the bed side plastic caps. LOMAX seals to tailgate really well. Only water i get is tiny trickle at the front where water is getting under the plastic side caps. Thinking of caulking that gap.
How i applied. View attachment 64404
From inside View attachment 64405
Top "gutter" View attachment 64406
Thanks for the info and pics. I'll probably do something for a quick fix and look into something more permanent that will hold up to the NH weather. I have a Bedrug so really need to do something. Maybe replace the top tailgate plastic. Not sure if the 2500s have a wider tailgate that I could use the plastic and customize it to fit from side to side and close that gap. I hate these companies that get a good reputation for the product they make and are making bank on and then having to keep up with orders they end up pushing product out and they forget what got them there. Next thing you know your making a purchase based on the quality of there product only to find out the hard way your $50k purchase has the quality of a $20k product. I have several area on the painted frame that had some kind of repair whether it was sanded and reprimed or what ever but its still on the touched up primer. And that includes the frame across the front under the hood. I worked for a company, at the time they were making army trucks and water tankers for Desert Storm. I worked in the paint area and before those trucks left the building we had a punchlist of touch-ups after they went through the other departments. I know this is minor but you should at least get what you pay for.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How i applied. View attachment 64404
From inside View attachment 64405
Top "gutter" View attachment 64406

Any chance you have a link to that gasket?

Ah, never mind. I found it but don’t think it’ll do the job for a truck with ramboxes.

Last edited:

vinnieloo

Reaction score
Any chance you have a link to that gasket?

Ah, never mind. I found it but don’t think it’ll do the job for a truck with ramboxes.
It's fairly thick. Covered a good size gap in the regular tailgate.
20200807_201707.jpg
20200807_201758.jpg

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's fairly thick. Covered a good size gap in the regular tailgate.
View attachment 64761
View attachment 64762

Thank you, I appreciate the pictures.

Unfortunately, the gap on a truck with rambox is about an inch at the top, and at least 3/4” all the way down the sides. Looks like it will require a couple of different gasket sizes.

e185837515e8b3b8435983972a75106a.jpg

rdlybeck

Reaction score
Yes this is my exact problem!

I just bought the truck a week ago, had a BAK MX4 installed yesterday but there is nothing covering this gap. I can look into the bed and stick my hand in the gap like your photo.
how do we seal this up? I would have thought BAK anticipated this when their product says for use withRamBox

Thank you, I appreciate the pictures.

Unfortunately, the gap on a truck with rambox is about an inch at the top, and at least 3/4” all the way down the sides. Looks like it will require a couple of different gasket sizes.

e185837515e8b3b8435983972a75106a.jpg

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ended up ordering this seal from amazon, and it worked out pretty well. Looked for quite a while, and it was tough finding a product this thick. I’d still need to purchase a seal for the bottom, but if you’re looking to fill to top and sides this will do the job.

ef029f36ab8354d8b032d3cd479024a0.jpg

AbitaPro

Reaction score
Hello, I recently took delivery of a 2019 Bighorn Crewcab w/short bed, and have a Lomax tonneau cover on the way. I've read about leaks with just about every cover out there, especially coming from the rear tailgate where there are huge gaps. I already have a BedRug liner but would like to keep out as much water as possible. I do go through an automatic car wash at least once a week so water will be coming from all angles, not just rain from the top.

Have you successfully been able to seal the tailgate? Pics / advice greatly appreciated!
I have the BakFlip MX4 and a BedRug in the bed. I used some gasket material from Home Depot, window/door seal material and glued it to the truck at the top of the bed to close the gap at the tailgate. Works.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Put on a DiamondBack tonneau :)and used left over sealant from the 3rd brake light aka CHMSL aka cargo light.

Users who are viewing this thread