5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How did you seal your tailgate?

bryman

Reaction score
Hello, I recently took delivery of a 2019 Bighorn Crewcab w/short bed, and have a Lomax tonneau cover on the way. I've read about leaks with just about every cover out there, especially coming from the rear tailgate where there are huge gaps. I already have a BedRug liner but would like to keep out as much water as possible. I do go through an automatic car wash at least once a week so water will be coming from all angles, not just rain from the top.

Have you successfully been able to seal the tailgate? Pics / advice greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

dsn112

Reaction score
I have a bedrug and a fairly low price gator roll up cover and so far it has been dry.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ll be working on that this weekend. I have a BakFlip MX4. I bought some new weather stripping for the bulkhead because my original didn’t stick well. It’s leaking a little bit down the rails so I need to tighten them up. If I can’t I will put a bead of silicone down the rails as I don’t plan on removing it. For the tailgate I bought an extang tailgate seal and will install it around the whole thing, as well as a strip on each side of the tailgate where it meets the bed to eliminate the gap.

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are still holes by the bed hooks and other places. I was thinking of reaching up underneath and putting some black tape (obviously figure out the sticky side) over them. But otherwise I used an adhesive weather seal for the end hate.

Mighty Snowpants

Reaction score
I put in Truxedo Tailgate Seal. No leaks now. Holding up fine. Took less than 10 minutes to "install". If you go down this route, make sure you have a rag and some rubbing alcohol. The tiny one alcohol wipe they supply is not enough. and you need a pair of scissors. Ive got a Diamondback HD top on the bed so that thing is bulletproof and has a thick rubber gasket so no Tonnaeau Top leakage there either.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-31 at 7.48.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-31 at 7.48.41 AM.png
    203.2 KB · Views: 231

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I put in Truxedo Tailgate Seal. No leaks now. Holding up fine. Took less than 10 minutes to "install". If you go down this route, make sure you have a rag and some rubbing alcohol. The tiny one alcohol wipe they supply is not enough. and you need a pair of scissors. Ive got a Diamondback HD top on the bed so that thing is bulletproof and has a thick rubber gasket so no Tonnaeau Top leakage there either.

Pics of your install please.

Mighty Snowpants

Reaction score
Pics of your install please.
I can take a pick but my truck is dark grey and the seal is dark too, so its really hard to see. Its literally a vertical strip on each side and one long one across the very bottom of the bed. You don't put it on the tailgate. The RAM has these light grey bumpers on each vertical side so I just cut the strips to accommodate for that. This is the pic from Amazon which makes it easy to see the black seal strip on the blue truck.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-31 at 3.54.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-31 at 3.54.18 PM.png
    853 KB · Views: 715

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can take a pick but my truck is dark grey and the seal is dark too, so its really hard to see. Its literally a vertical strip on each side and one long one across the very bottom of the bed. You don't put it on the tailgate. The RAM has these light grey bumpers on each vertical side so I just cut the strips to accommodate for that. This is the pic from Amazon which makes it easy to see the black seal strip on the blue truck.

I just don’t understand how that works on our trucks. There’s no point where the tailgate meets the bedside like on the F150 pictured. The seal won’t touch the tailgate at all.

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just don’t understand how that works on our trucks. There’s no point where the tailgate meets the bedside like on the F150 pictured. The seal won’t touch the tailgate at all.

It works. It sticks out enough so when you close it it's clearing a seal. It's thick.

Mighty Snowpants

Reaction score
Well there’s only one way to test your theory. Climb in bed of truck. Put your fingers where the seal is in the picture. Then have a friend firmly slam the tailgate shut. If you scream in pain-the seal will touch the tailgate. If you don’t, then you are correct. All joking aside. I don’t know what kind of truck you have but it seals my tailgate on my 2019 Rebel.

thabiiighomie

Reaction score
Well there’s only one way to test your theory. Climb in bed of truck. Put your fingers where the seal is in the picture. Then have a friend firmly slam the tailgate shut. If you scream in pain-the seal will touch the tailgate. If you don’t, then you are correct. All joking aside. I don’t know what kind of truck you have but it seals my tailgate on my 2019 Rebel.
If you have the spray-in bed liner, like I do, will that adhesive still do the job? I am wondering how I can get anything to perfectly seal now that the bed has been coated.

Techguy2000

Reaction score
Gotta say after staring at the tailgate for a while I'm with Rampat on this one, would love to see how the seal is installed.

To me it looks like there would always be a gap at the very top, and even if the rest of the sides and bottom are sealed you'd just be sealing water into the bed.

I ordered the seal from this thread and I'm still puzzled, help us out with some pictures?

Mighty Snowpants

Reaction score
Gotta say after staring at the tailgate for a while I'm with Rampat on this one, would love to see how the seal is installed.

To me it looks like there would always be a gap at the very top, and even if the rest of the sides and bottom are sealed you'd just be sealing water into the bed.

I ordered the seal from this thread and I'm still puzzled, help us out with some pictures?
I have a Diamondback bed top. It has a rubber seal for top of tailgate. So I used the Truxxedo seals for the side and bottom. Now....no water ingress.

cupcars

Reaction score
It works. It sticks out enough so when you close it it's clearing a seal. It's thick.
Here’s a pic of the tailgate gap. The rubber seal would need to be at least 1/2” thick in order to make contact with the tailgate.

Attachments

• 9688B9DB-9702-43A4-A1D5-E5426073FB92.jpeg
    9688B9DB-9702-43A4-A1D5-E5426073FB92.jpeg
    175 KB · Views: 565

heydre

Reaction score
Not sure if the bed of this truck is like all my Chevy and GMCs but, if you live in dusty areas, you might want to plug up cutouts in bed too. When I drive fire roads to get to MTB trails...I'm shocked how much dust/grit gets in the bed/rug and covers gear back there.

Cravenfan

Reaction score
Ya, I don't get the big gap at the top of my truck, where the RamBox rails come all the way back to the tailgate. It is over an inch wide...what are folks plugging this with?

Users who are viewing this thread