5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How cold should the AC in my 21 be?

ac1dd

Reaction score
You are correct, 1234ya is inferior to 134a in almost every aspect...especially at lower compressor speeds.
The truth is that as long as the 1234yf system was desined correctly and is functioning well you will get nearly identical vent temps under the same ambient conditions...as a r12 or r134a system

It's pretty clear there are design issues or defects in the vehicles that are not getting low 40s f out of the vents.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The truth is that as long as the 1234yf system was desined correctly and is functioning well you will get nearly identical vent temps under the same ambient conditions...as a r12 or r134a system

It's pretty clear there are design issues or defects in the vehicles that are not getting low 40s f out of the vents.

Sure, though (if all other things being equal) the 1234yf system needs the compressor to run faster for equivalent cooling performance (at the expense of compressor efficiency). It simply does not have the same cooling capacity as 134a. To maintain efficiency + identical cooling performance there would have to be substantial changes to the mass flow rate, total volume, and the size of the evaporator to account for the significant loss of performance. I do not know enough about the RAM HVAC system to say they did that or not...but I will hazard a guess and say 'no'.

My wife's car (a Honda) is also 1234yf, the AC isn't great in that thing either.

Last edited:

sessman

Reaction score
FWIW my 2019 Laramie got totaled and I just picked up a 2021 Laramie. I literally said WOAH when I turned on the A/C at how much better it performed than my '19.

AV8OR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On all my cars I have in the air outlet a small 1" diameter thermometer.

I cut a little thumb size piece of foam to stick in-between the louvers for the probe to go though so it almost looks factory installed.

I've tried battery powered but the heat just cooks the little batteries so the old school analog work the best.

I like the Taylor 6075 thermometer the best because it has the smallest range between 25 to 120 degrees so it gives you the highest resolution.

Yes they make thermometers that have a higher temperature range but the Taylor 6075 is the ranges you will be dealing with coming out of the air outlet.

It's good to track trends to see if you might be due for an A/C service or just to know well the system is operating.

1645055328421.jpeg

Last edited:

AV8OR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I'm all alone in the car and it's the middle of summer I just leave the temp full cold and very the fan speed to keep myself comfortable.

Cold cool air coming out at a lower volume seems to be better at cooling me then warmer air blowing faster.

When I get in a hot car I put it a full cold, at the highest fan setting with recirculation on.

As the car cools off I lower the fan speed but still at full cold.

Usually I never put it in the "Auto" setting if I stay in town.

For a road trip after about one hour I'll click it over to "Auto" and set it at 72 degrees and keep it there for the rest of the trip.

Like I said this is for the hottest months and if you have people in the car besides yourself then this might not work.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread