5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How are the cloth seats?

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Had the premium cloth seats on my 2016 Big Horn and never had any issue with them. When it was time to upgrade though leather was a must just for the ventilated seats. I live in Phoenix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grooves12

Reaction score
I purposefully avoid leather. Even with good care it looks like crap after a few years. With good care, cloth seats can look brand new after a decade.

The big horn's deluxe bucket seats are a really high quality cloth. Has a nice texture to them and is a thick/durable material. Almost feels like a really soft denim.

alow

Reaction score
I'll echo whats already here. I have the deluxe cloth and I think its actually really nice. I came from leather in, i think, every other vehicle I've had and I'll say leather looks nice but has those wear marks as the years go on. Its also very temperature dependent and getting in a leather seat on a hot or cold day is generally pretty unpleasant. I find the cloth very comfortable in a wider range of temps and the seats are very well made. It even soaks up a bit of coffee without showing anything though I dont want to test that often. I got mine thinking I can do the katskinz thing if I decide I dont like it and that route isnt much more than the standard leather anyways. I also like how the cloth isnt slippery as that was a thing with my old truck.

What really sealed the deal for me was that you could still heat the seats with the cloth. I dont think thats something I've seen before though maybe I wasnt paying attention. THey heat up quick and feel great on a cold day. As a side note I'm really appreciating the heated wheel.

Wheeler

Reaction score
Ask your dealer to throw in Katzkin with the deal. Much better than stock leather.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Cloth bench seat was my number 1 requirement. I have a 1990 Celica, 174,000 miles and cloth seats still looks good. My 2001 Dodge 1500, 82,000 miles, cloth still looks good. My 1994 Ford Explorer and 2006 Honda Accord with leather do not look that great. I'll take the cloth - very happy with the 2019 Ram cloth seats. None of the vehicles were garaged which may make a difference for long term durability for leather seats.

Leather may be a plus for those who eat and drink in their vehicles. Had a small piece of chocolate on a 2017 Honda Civic cloth seat that required a "shampoo" to get out. The leather would have been an easier clean up.

Deriggs007

Reaction score
If I could buy all over again after owning my Laramie for a couple weeks, I would honestly save the money and get a big horn and then just do some dealer aftermarket changes.

This is for my needs ONLY but here are the following reasons why.

1. The ventilated seats are decent on Laramie, but not that great in performance compared to the heated seats - the heat is much better and is the same on the big horn trim.

2. While you get cloth, you can have the Dealer add Katzskin leather and it's honestly as good, if not better than the Laramie's - My dealer would had done it for $1200 for the whole vehicle (worth it in my opinion)

3. I have the level 2 group which was required to get the Black Appearance package. The level 2 package isn't $3000 better than a level 1. It's maybe $1000 more better, but not $3000....

4. The biggest hit to the big horn is that I'm a tech junkie and NEEDED that 12" screen. That's the only big complaint.

5. I lost the Advanced safety group (required level 2) - After driving for a couple weeks, most of the features are nice, but are also a little gimmicky. For example, the lane keep assist definitely works, but it's a double edged sword. Let's say I dropped something and I removed my hands from the wheel to grab it, it would definitely activate in the lane, but it over steers and causes me to nearly run into the opposite lane MUCH quicker than if I just tapped the wheel in the center again for example.

6. Some other small features may be possible with dealer additions, Eg... the wireless charger is a $200 addon on mopar. You can probably have them buy/install it for free.

MDBumblebee

Reaction score
I have deluxe cloth in my big horn and leather in my 2010 Camaro. The Camaro seats don't heat as quickly as the Ram's cloth so that's a plus. The Ram's seats are firmer than the Chevy's but not uncomfortable. The leather started showing "butt wear" around the 5 year mark so I put covers over them (kind of defeats the purpose of leather, no?). I didn't drive a Ram limited but did feel its leather. Wow, they were buttery smooth and supple but not slick and stiff like the Camaro.
This isn't an apple/apple comparison of course but from reviews I've read that did compare Ram cloth and leather seats, the leather edges in comfort. Other than that, I think the deluxe cloth in the Ram is excellent.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have cloth in mine as well. These cloth are light years better than the cloth in my Nissan Titan. Also, the bolsters have much better support to keep them from getting damaged as you get in and out of the truck. I wore out a seat cushion and seat foam on my Titan and the biggest reason was because there wasn't good support where you got in and out of the truck.

Even so, I am putting Coverking Neoprenes in my truck when they get here. Good seat covers save the upholstery.

2wd

Reaction score
I prefer cloth to leather, but they both have pros and cons.

Leather is more resistant to spills/stains, but in my experience wears out faster (tears/cracking from use and heat).

Cloth seems to hold up better long term but you have to address spills/stains ASAP before they set. With all my cloth vehicles I keep towels and quality upholstery cleaner in the vehicle.

Leather resists spills better but you have to be vigilant with leather conditioner to fight the cracks/tears over the years.

All that said these Ram cloth seats are the best I've ever seen. They feel like the inside of quality denim jeans.
Then I've seen videos on the Laramie seats with leather+some cloth bits+suede (I think) and they look amazing also.

edvinsheperd9

Reaction score
I also love the premium cloth in my Bighorn. I don't like leather in trucks, never have. I could easily install katzkins myself if I wanted for CyberpunkClothing. I have the light grey cloth, the seats are very comfortable. I only have 2k on it right now, but I don't see and wear or bolster wrinkling.
i have always purchased with leather seats.

daberk

Reaction score
I have the deluxe cloth in my BigHorn and am very happy with it. I specifically opted for the cloth over leather as I have dogs in the back seat and they tend to slip around more on leather.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve had my truck for over two years and 25,000 + miles and the seats have held up really well. They look as good today as they did the day I got my truck. How many people with leather can say that?

TheGoogleNinja

Reaction score
I've had leather in most of my cars. Especially since I started buying cars with heated seats. I won't buy a vehicle without heated seats now. But the heat in this truck is underwhelming. I think it is due to the cloth seats that disperse the heat more than leather. They warm the butt just fine, but my wife and I both have crappy backs and we usually use the heat year round to keep the back nice and loose on longer drives. Luckily the seats in my ram are comfortable enough to make up for it.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had leather in most of my cars. Especially since I started buying cars with heated seats. I won't buy a vehicle without heated seats now. But the heat in this truck is underwhelming. I think it is due to the cloth seats that disperse the heat more than leather. They warm the butt just fine, but my wife and I both have crappy backs and we usually use the heat year round to keep the back nice and loose on longer drives. Luckily the seats in my ram are comfortable enough to make up for it.
This post is just proof how much of everything is subjective. My heated seats are so hot I can't even use the highest setting for more than a couple of minutes, and before I put the seat covers on I couldn't use the low setting either.

TheGoogleNinja

Reaction score
This post is just proof how much of everything is subjective. My heated seats are so hot I can't even use the highest setting for more than a couple of minutes, and before I put the seat covers on I couldn't use the low setting either.
Apparently! That or mine are weak? All I know is they are significantly less hot than all my previous vehicles. I should go find one on the lot with heated cloth and see if they're any different. Though, I'd think if there was an actual issue with them then it wouldn't be consistent on both sides, I would think one would be hotter than the other. I'm sure it is all in my head.

neeginan

Reaction score
Seat comfort is subjective, let me start there.

I have the cloth seats. Deluxe Cloth Bucket Seat option for $595. From my perspective, I love them. Super comfortable. My wife has some back issues and she loves them too. I would say that they are the second best seat I have experienced. The best seat that I ever experienced was the 12 way adjustable seat in the Porsche 928. You could get in that car with a 50 year old back, drive for 12 hours, and step out of the car with the back of a 40 year old. Rinse and repeat a couple of times, and you are 17 years old and playing high school football again. Those seats were somehow magical. I don't know how they did it, they created fountain of youth seats. And only in the 928. I think I will be buried in one of those seats, maybe I will come back to life.

But I love the seats in the Ram. Haven't used the heaters yet, other than to ensure that they word.

Schnitz

Reaction score
I hate leather because it's ice cold in winter and blazing hot in the summer. Heated seats don't cut it when you first get in regardless of how long it's been running. Vented seats only take care of a portion of your back and the other areas sweat regardless. I go with cloth in everything I buy and I even ditched the leather in my convertible fro cloth for the same reasons.

RamRMK

Reaction score
I had a 2012 Laramie, 2015 Laramie, and 2017 Sport all with leather and now have a 2019 Big Horn with cloth seats and find the cloth the most comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread