5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Horrible resale value? Lost $16k in 30 days.

raven_DT

Reaction score
I think thats typical of Dodge/Ram trucks, unless you buy a 6.7 heavy duty. Ram offers really good (imo) initial value. Long (ish) term the value position inverts, based on my experience. After 2 years of ownership and 47K, I traded my 17 2500 CTD for 6K less than I paid for it ($43K new). So according to KKB (today) my trade-in value ($33.5K) for my 1500 is less than the trade in for my CTD, after only 4 months and 8200 miles. MSRP 55K, paid 38K... I cant say that I'd buy another gas Ram just based on the financial angle. Another plus for diesel ownership, resale value.

Matthbert5150

Reaction score
I have an important question: where ya getting 1.99%?
My credit union is offering 1.99% in November. My wife is the branch manager at Eecu.

Chrysler Capitol was also offering 1.99% a few months back

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Rambox, 5.7l 4x4 3.92, Pano Sunroof, level 2 w/ 12", black appearance package, adv. Safety group, Power running boards, full ceramic tint
6" ProComp Stage 1 lift kit with 35x12.50r20 Nitto Ridge Grappler tires
20x10 - 24 fuel hostage wheels
Tazer DT, Lomax cover, Bed Rug.

*Future Mods"
Borla s-type exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Can

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
While it may shock some of you. A lift kit, wheels and tires do add value to a truck. If you go to trade in a lifted truck and they tell you differently then they are bold face liars. Lifted trucks do NADA retail with all the options added in at Manheim auctions all over the country. So dealers are making a killing on these trades with little to no effort.
That may true in some cases; but not most. If a truck has a quality lift like a BDS, Metal Cloak, etc, that is done correctly by a reputable shop....then maybe. However, a Rough Country lift on a $50,000 truck is going to devalue it. At the dealership, a lifted truck as a trade will kill the value....they would rather have a stock truck. I have bought a lot of trucks and Jeeps over my lifetime and I can tell you 100% that unless it was equipped exactly how I envisioned, I paid $0 extra for anything the previous owner did. Likewise, when I sell my modded vehicles I do not expect to get any return on those modifications.

Bhew123

Reaction score
That may true in some cases; but not most. If a truck has a quality lift like a BDS, Metal Cloak, etc, that is done correctly by a reputable shop....then maybe. However, a Rough Country lift on a $50,000 truck is going to devalue it. At the dealership, a lifted truck as a trade will kill the value....they would rather have a stock truck. I have bought a lot of trucks and Jeeps over my lifetime and I can tell you 100% that unless it was equipped exactly how I envisioned, I paid $0 extra for anything the previous owner did. Likewise, when I sell my modded vehicles I do not expect to get any return on those modifications.

Everyone has an opinion and that’s great. However tons of people make livings by stealing stock trucks from new cars stores and throwing rough country lifts on them and some federal tires and sending down the auction block. It’s a fact.

cra1g

Reaction score
Everyone has an opinion and that’s great. However tons of people make livings by stealing stock trucks from new cars stores and throwing rough country lifts on them and some federal tires and sending down the auction block.

"tons of people"? Really?

Plenty of dealers sell new trucks with lifts. If it was that kind of a money maker, why wouldn't the dealers just do the same thing with more of their trucks, instead of letting them go cheap so someone else can make the profit? The only way this could work economically is if the third-party "lift adders" are taking shortcuts that would make even a dealer cringe.

It’s a fact.

Well, no. In the absence of any supporting data, it's not a fact, just another opinion (and an ill-conceived one at that).

Bhew123

Reaction score
"tons of people"? Really?

Plenty of dealers sell new trucks with lifts. If it was that kind of a money maker, why wouldn't the dealers just do the same thing with more of their trucks, instead of letting them go cheap so someone else can make the profit? The only way this could work economically is if the third-party "lift adders" are taking shortcuts that would make even a dealer cringe.

Well, no. In the absence of any supporting data, it's not a fact, just another opinion (and an ill-conceived one at that).

The supporting data is that I worked as a buyer for several car stores before relocating to Georgia for my wife’s corporate career last year. As this may not be the case all over the country is 100% fact in the northeast. No need to argue about this.

TWRam

Reaction score
Everyone has an opinion and that’s great. However tons of people make livings by stealing stock trucks from new cars stores and throwing rough country lifts on them and some federal tires and sending down the auction block. It’s a fact.
Huh? Sounds like something only a dealer can do. How do you "steal a stock truck from a new car store"? So you buy a new truck from a dealer, throw some aftermarket parts on it, then resell it to other dealers for profit? If the dealer wanted a modified truck because he thinks that he can make more profit from it than a stock truck, why wouldn't he get the stock truck and pay someone to modify it locally for less than he would have paid for the modified truck at auction? If he cant do it for less than the auction priced truck, how is the seller of the auction truck making money? I'm not arguing your point, just trying to understand.

Regardless, I think all that is a moot point. The point many of us are making is that we, the end consumers, will get no additional value for modifications done to our trucks if we trade them in; however, when selling this same truck, the dealer can and will ask more for the truck with mods if they are desirable and can fetch a buyer. Just more shady dealership tactics...... The only way that we can get more for our modified trucks is if we sell them to an individual who likes what we have done with them. Even then, you typically only see a fraction of what you invested.

Bhew123

Reaction score
Most new car stores deal in volume. Make money off kickbacks from hitting a sales “number”, service and finance. They often then turn around and move several cars that are mixed with winners and losers for a large sum of money to a wholesaler or used car lot. Then those cars are sent multiple different avenues. All I was getting at was when a new car store low balls people that have put time and spent countless dollars on a truck to keep it pristine condition. It is one of the winners in the lot of cars that help with the cars they put too much money in to move volume. When trading in a lifted truck or jeep to a new car store it is never a bad idea to go to a local used car lot that has similar inventory to your truck or jeep to get a number put on your vehicle and ask if they’d be willing to purchase it for that price when you go to trade it to a new car store.

As far as used car lots buying lifted trucks at auctions for retail vs doing it themselves comes back to the fact most used car stores could shut down in 3 months if they are extremely slow. So when purchased at an auction with lift and stuff they can put that full amount on a floor plan that they have vs shelling out 1,000’s of dollars they may need to cover expenses such as paying interest on that floor plan or paying for advertisement. I know most of you don’t care and this is stupid but I was purely reassuring original poster that his vehicle is in fact worth more than a stock truck. Have a great day

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not surprised about the value quoted on this truck - I think it's right in line with what things should be. Blue book is supposed to take into account actual transactions and adjust for market variances. Since, with incentives, virtually no one pays MSRP, blue book value is not going to be based on that figure but on what people are really paying. On a $65k truck with incentives and a little finagling I would imagine actual price paid is $50-55k. The lift and tire stuff is useless on figuring the book value since it has no book value (unless it came as part of a special model from the factory). So $48k sounds about right to me.

I will say this: I took the dealership's financing to get some extra money off rather than just pay cash outright, and about 3 weeks later I called my credit union to have them work me up a "payoff" quote, and the blue book was several thousand more than I paid for the truck.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If you look at RAM 1500 resale, it's actually higher than the F150, which is already higher than average (based on the last few years). So it think your offer which is based on quite a few variables, the big one being MSRP vs current value is the incorrect way to look at it. You should be basing it on actual transaction price.

RichT

Reaction score
Paying 0% with Chrysler Capital. yay end-of-year purchase

Not all mods lose a ton of value. Nice topper is a good example.

gllh

Reaction score
I never bought my truck for resale value. I bought my 2019 Laramie, because I had a 2003 quad cab 4.7L that never let me down during tough times. I miss it to this day, as I traded it in 2007. I stand by my Rams and I don't care who on this site has a problem with that.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I never bought my truck for resale value. I bought my 2019 Laramie, because I had a 2003 quad cab 4.7L that never let me down during tough times. I miss it to this day, as I traded it in 2007. I stand by my Rams and I don't care who on this site has a problem with that.

Well good news, RAM has one of the best resale values on the market, nice bonus for you :)

yellowboy

Reaction score
Ditto on the above, I got mine because a similarly equipped F150 compared to a Limited would have been 12-15 thousand more.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
tiz what happens when the market is flooded with them .. (RAMS I mean)

Why buy a used when I can order a brand new with the exact options I want for the same price?
and the incentives are unbelievable.

ppowell1983

Reaction score
I bought my ram in June, has a MSRP of 69,040. I paid $50,489 for the truck. They seem to be retailing for more than that used on the retail market. For kicks I went to KBB and they call trade in on my truck with 17,800 miles (yes in 4 months) at 45,700 - 48,900. That’s amazing that i only lost $1,600- $4,700 given the mileage it has. I’m sure if RAM didn’t offer deep discounts on these trucks like every other truck manufacturer then I’m sure depreciation would be a bit bigger.

Average depreciation should be calculated as the difference between the Lowest average transaction price on a given make, model and trim at the time of sale and what its value is at the of assessment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are a number of variables in the equation for resale value of any given car or truck, such as geographical location, standard equipment, factory discounts, national average new transactional price, percentage sold to fleets, just to name a few. In reality, the "resale value" most people talk about is actually the amount of retained value. But even within the industry the organizations that report so-called "resale value" vary amongst themselves. Additionally, the average used transactional price between vehicles of different brands is difficult to assess and compare because vehicles are sold and purchased new at vastly different mileage and trim lines. In the end, most people do not buy on resale alone, anyways.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram DT 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 024949 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread