5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Horrible resale value? Lost $16k in 30 days.

Raylan GIvens

Reaction score
I will agree with others, it didn't lose $16k and modifications aren't going to help the resale. It isn't hard to get $10k off MSRP on a new truck. Even using your numbers, you paid $60k with over $5k of modifications, it lost roughly $7k in value. If you consider people like me buying new trucks for 1% below invoice plus rebates and other dealer incentives, most would choose the new truck for a couple of thousand more over the used truck

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
That sounds about right.

They'd have to offer me a smokin' deal to buy a used truck less than a year old, so if I'm getting 20-25% off, they'll have to offer even less to you.

You gotta figure it's not a lease return that soon, so it's either a lemon or a repo. I don't want a lemon and repos don't just happen unexpectedly, which means the previous owner probably beat the snot out of it the last few days he owned it.

TWRam

Reaction score
That sounds about right.

They'd have to offer me a smokin' deal to buy a used truck less than a year old, so if I'm getting 20-25% off, they'll have to offer even less to you.

You gotta figure it's not a lease return that soon, so it's either a lemon or a repo. I don't want a lemon and repos don't just happen unexpectedly, which means the previous owner probably beat the snot out of it the last few days he owned it.
Smokin' used deals can be had for those that can find them, I can attest to that.

Lemon Law'd trucks are documented as such. Repo trucks go to auction which is documented as well. How many early 5th gen Ram owners have gotten tired of the recalls, TSBs, and other nuisances, and simply traded theirs in for something else? I'm thinking there are some significant numbers in that category. Buying used has equal risk of quality issues vs new, maybe less of a chance if the prior owner had some shakedown issues resolved already.

Matthbert5150

Reaction score
Who is offering 1.99%
My credit union is offering 1.99% in November. My wife is the branch manager at Eecu.

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Rambox, 5.7l 4x4 3.92, Pano Sunroof, level 2 w/ 12", black appearance package, adv. Safety group, Power running boards, full ceramic tint
6" ProComp Stage 1 lift kit with 35x12.50r20 Nitto Ridge Grappler tires
20x10 - 24 fuel hostage wheels
Tazer DT, Lomax cover, Bed Rug.

*Future Mods"
Borla s-type exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Can

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Bought by Rebel 12 less than a month ago. MSRP $62140 went to refinance it yesterday... the book value was 48000. I was very surprised!! glad I only paid 51500 for it. so I essentially lost 3500 plus tax , title and fees. I'm Glad ill be keeping TROY (name of my new rebel) for a while. Love TROY a lot!.
The Rebel definitely seems to retain value well as compared to "regular" trims. Might have been your market, fewer available 5th gens etc but either way, good for you.

I just looked up an NADA used 2019 Rebel and found this:

3,707 miles
$69,269 asking price

Superior Dodge Chrysler Jeep
Opens in New Window

(501) 504-7936
1201 EXCHANGE AVE, CONWAY, AR 72032

Seems awful high from that dealer!

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Smokin' used deals can be had for those that can find them, I can attest to that.

Lemon Law'd trucks are documented as such. Repo trucks go to auction which is documented as well. How many early 5th gen Ram owners have gotten tired of the recalls, TSBs, and other nuisances, and simply traded theirs in for something else? I'm thinking there are some significant numbers in that category. Buying used has equal risk of quality issues vs new, maybe less of a chance if the prior owner had some shakedown issues resolved already.
Then there's the 5th wheel and travel trailer towers who thought that their 1500 could pull whatever rig they had, and it didn't do such a good job. There's been a few of those talked about on the forum and traded in for 2500's. Either way a dealer could get a trade that had not been abused just cause' the buyer attempted to make one truck do all things. It happens.

It's not nice to lose all that depreciation, sales tax, licensing and other fees but, if it doesn't end up working out, you gotta' change something.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I got my truck for 25% off MSRP, my insurance agent told me not to get GAP insurance because I didn't need it at that price. I bought my Rebel for $39,000 with a MSRP of $55,000. I guarantee you my truck is currently worth more than what I paid for it.

Also, mods if anything will lower your trucks value come resale, especially when dealing with an institution instead of private sale.

barr0208

Reaction score
I don't about how it works down there but I was always told drive off the lot loose 30% and 10% every year after that. I got 26% off my msrp so im not too bad off.

Klute

Reaction score
I paid 80% off MSRP plus an inflated trade-in on 2011 Ram 1500. Until I purchased the best trade I could get was $10K (which is about right) they 'gave' me $15K. So if I add the $5k to the 80% that equates to 70%. So not surprised that the immediate (within 2 years) resale value is low. Most the 2019 used trucks have super high miles already.

silver billet

Reaction score
It's just a numbers game. If there were no such things as "money on the hood" and everybody paid MSRP, then the resale value would be much higher too. It's $16,000 low because EVERYBODY knows that nobody pays MSRP,.

So the resell value is based on what everybody pays, because that determines whether another buyer will pick it up, not the actual MSRP. Nothing wrong with that value you were quoted.

Rick J

Reaction score
Yeah the hit on the Rams is staggering. I think it has the largest initial depreciation of any truck out there.
Out of curiosity, I just ran Kelly Blue book trade in values on a 2019 F150 Platinum with 5K miles / 4X4, sunroof, etc to match my 2019 Limited.
KBB gave average trade in for the F150 at $45.6 and the RAM at $46.3. Private Party at $49.9K for the Ford and $50.6 for the RAM.

Micko24

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, I just ran Kelly Blue book trade in values on a 2019 F150 Platinum with 5K miles / 4X4, sunroof, etc to match my 2019 Limited.
KBB gave average trade in for the F150 at $45.6 and the RAM at $46.3. Private Party at $49.9K for the Ford and $50.6 for the RAM.
Take comfort in that

NordicNevs

Reaction score

I’ll admit it has been some time since I have had to look at trade in prices on new vehicles. However your numbers might be zip code dependent. Also, with rams sales going up and up the demand will change some return on vehicles.

I hope you’re data point is the same reflected across the nation for the simple fact that it means a turn around has begun.

I for one am happy with my Ram but we will see how they go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bhew123

Reaction score
While it may shock some of you. A lift kit, wheels and tires do add value to a truck. If you go to trade in a lifted truck and they tell you differently then they are bold face liars. Lifted trucks do NADA retail with all the options added in at Manheim auctions all over the country. So dealers are making a killing on these trades with little to no effort.

Carcrazy72

Reaction score
I am "attempting" to trade in my 2019 Bighorn 4x4 currently. I was offered $33k for it yesterday at a local lot in trade for a new Wrangler. In my area, trucks are always selling and they are all over the place. However, it seems the 1500s are sitting. Even the new 2500s are sitting. I am around my local Ram dealer daily and its pretty rare to see them leave the lot. Markets weird right now but that may change going into the Christmas time and tax season.

Differia

Reaction score
I traded my Tradesman 5th gen in at the end of the summer. Could not stand the horrible AC.

Truck had 4000 miles on it. I lost 3k on trade in value for the 5th gen and 6 months of payments @ 200.00.
Truck had a MSRP of 38K.

New truck with working AC was worth every penny I lost on the trade in.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I traded my Tradesman 5th gen in at the end of the summer. Could not stand the horrible AC.

Truck had 4000 miles on it. I lost 3k on trade in value for the 5th gen and 6 months of payments @ 200.00.
Truck had a MSRP of 38K.

New truck with working AC was worth every penny I lost on the trade in.
What brand and trim is your new truck?

Differia

Reaction score
What brand and trim is your new truck?

I test drove 5 other 5th gen all had horrible AC also.
Went with the BiG Horn Classic 2019
They were blowing those trucks out at good prices. Financed an extra 3k and have AC out both vents at 40 degrees.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread