5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Horn Honk x3 After Locking

jdomke1

Reaction score
I’ve seen plenty of posts about trucks honking horns due to FOB left inside. Nothing with issue. About a month or two ago my truck started doing this. 2020 Ram 1500 Rebel. I press the door lock button as I’m getting out. The truck is completely off. The FOB is in my pocket. After closing the door it honks three times and the doors unlock. I can press lock on the FOB or the buttons on the handles and it locks. I only have two FOBs and the second is at home. Nothing happens on the instrument panel except the emergency blinkers flash three times. I’ve tried this with both FOBs at different times, ie no other FOBs on me, and it does the same. So, I suspect not the FOB. Looking for ideas.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve seen plenty of posts about trucks honking horns due to FOB left inside. Nothing with issue. About a month or two ago my truck started doing this. 2020 Ram 1500 Rebel. I press the door lock button as I’m getting out. The truck is completely off. The FOB is in my pocket. After closing the door it honks three times and the doors unlock. I can press lock on the FOB or the buttons on the handles and it locks. I only have two FOBs and the second is at home. Nothing happens on the instrument panel except the emergency blinkers flash three times. I’ve tried this with both FOBs at different times, ie no other FOBs on me, and it does the same. So, I suspect not the FOB. Looking for ideas.
Since you hit the door lock button before you have completely exited the vehicle, it probably sensed the fob was still inside when you hit lock button.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like an issue with the antenna in the rear door. Try locking the doors, and when you get out, toss the fob about 15’ away from the truck before you close the door (or walk the fob 15’ away and set it down, then go close the door). Does it still honk and auto unlock?
If so, it might be the rear antenna behind the license plate. Does the tailgate passively open ok? IOW, with the truck locked and fob in pocket, can you walk up to the tailgate and still open it?
Since you hit the door lock button before you have completely exited the vehicle, it probably sensed the fob was still inside when you hit lock button.
That doesn’t matter. It only matters where the antennas sense the fob at the time the door is closed.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
My truck honks whenever it wants. Lately I get 3 honks when I start my truck about once every other week, no idea why. Happened before I put a TazerDT in.
I think the truck gets lonely sometimes and just wants to give a good honk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online