5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hood coming open when driving

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For the second time my hood came open when driving. This time I got up around 80 mph and it came open, luckily only to the second latch position. Is their any adjustment with the latch?

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You might try lowering the bump stops, maybe they are keeping the hood too high to secure properly? Do you have anything mounted around the release under the dash?

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
never heard of that happening... you sure it was closed properly?
Yea i didn’t have any hood ajar warning until it popped open. The first time it happened I thought it was a fluke but a second time I’m figuring something may be slightly off.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You might try lowering the bump stops, maybe they are keeping the hood too high to secure properly? Do you have anything mounted around the release under the dash?
Nothing mounted around the release, I will check the stops and my try some lubricant on the latch.

6of36

Reaction score
For the second time my hood came open when driving. This time I got up around 80 mph and it came open, luckily only to the second latch position. Is their any adjustment with the latch?
There is always a way to adjust it. Clean and lube it for sure. If the hood is high, lower the bumpers, but if not, adjust the latch if necessary.

Dewey

Reaction score
Not good. Many years ago a buddy of mine was doing a top speed run and as he approached 100 mph he blinked and his hood was gone and bouncing down the highway behind him. Apparently he didn’t latch it properly.😆

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not good. Many years ago a buddy of mine was doing a top speed run and as he approached 100 mph he blinked and his hood was gone and bouncing down the highway behind him. Apparently he didn’t latch it properly.😆
witnessed that happened to someone else on local freeway once. dude's not even going above speed limit (65mph). good thing i was 2 lanes over

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
There is always a way to adjust it. Clean and lube it for sure. If the hood is high, lower the bumpers, but if not, adjust the latch if necessary.
I would be figuring some way to adjust it to make sure it latched properly. The safety latch is a cool backup but not what I want to rely on!

RamCares

Reaction score
Hi,
We see that you have received a few answers, if you still seek any assistance, please send us a private message. Alternatively, we recommend visiting a dealership to get a proper diagnosis for your vehicle.
Sylvia
Ram Cares

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had the Hood flip up on my '98 RAM. I had pulled the main latch when I got home from
work to do some maintenance. I had problems with the other work and didn't get to under
the hood. The next morning I got on the Highway and it flipped up on me. At least it didn't
break the Windshield. I pulled it down and put a ratchet strap on to hold it down. It turned
out that the secondary latch was rusted and stayed in the open position the last time I opened
the Hood.

Moral of this story: don't forget to lube the springs on the Secondary Latch.

I had to take one of the hinges off and Hammer it strait again. The other I could straiten on the truck.

Malodave

Users who are viewing this thread