5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Homelink Horrible Range?

Reaction score
To start, the only thing that has changed around the garage in a year is the purchase of my new 1500 Limited. I have a Ryobi Garage door opener with LED bulbs built in and all over the garage and house. My Rams Homelink only works if it's directly under the garage or just outside of the garage for the most part. It's worked from 30 feet only once or twice. Sometimes when sitting directly outside of the garage I can't get it to work even. Is anyone else having an issue with the Homelinks range or ideas of what to check?

From what I hear it can have a reverse affect by extending the antenna out of the garage but I tried it for fun, no difference with the Ram but the other vehicles work halfway down the road now, both using Homelink. Easy to change it back if need be. Have tried reprogramming it numerous time with no change either.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
To start, the only thing that has changed around the garage in a year is the purchase of my new 1500 Limited. I have a Ryobi Garage door opener with LED bulbs built in and all over the garage and house. My Rams Homelink only works if it's directly under the garage or just outside of the garage for the most part. It's worked from 30 feet only once or twice. Sometimes when sitting directly outside of the garage I can't get it to work even. Is anyone else having an issue with the Homelinks range or ideas of what to check?

From what I hear it can have a reverse affect by extending the antenna out of the garage but I tried it for fun, no difference with the Ram but the other vehicles work halfway down the road now, both using Homelink. Easy to change it back if need be. Have tried reprogramming it numerous time with no change either.
I can use mine when I turn the corner onto my street (at least a few hundred feet away). The range on my Ram appears to be a little better than my wife’s car. Perhaps your antenna has a defect?

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Same here. I have pretty good range. I have had different cars do better or worse but none have been unreasonable. Sounds like you may have an issue.

DeanKing

Reaction score

Same as other responses. Same if not better range than other vehicles. At least 50 feet out of line of sight.

wwalljr

Reaction score
I have good range also. Better than the ‘14 F150 I traded in. Agree with above antenna may be suspect.

swarggs

Reaction score
I have good range most of the time. However, there have been a few (half a dozen ?) times that I've had to be backed right up against the door in order for it to work.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd say a trip or at least a call to your delivering dealer is in order. They should be able to replace the home link under warranty.

Mine has better range than my 2016 F150. That was a consistent issue with the F150's

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine has fantastic range as well. I would try seeing if a good neighbor/family member will let you program to their garage. If it works well there, then you know its your garage door. If not, then its your truck.

Neokane

Reaction score
I haven't noticed a range issue, just need to try reprogramming the remote because it only wants to work every 3-6 pushes of the button.

Heppcatt

Reaction score

I’m a Garage door guy, LED bulbs can have an adverse effect on range of your remote. So can: bad wiring in the home, heated floors, motion detectors, WiFi, security cameras etc. I could go on all day about spectrum pollution. Without a Spectrometer, you just have to go through and shut things down until you find out what the offending item is. I don’t work with Ryobi products, but I’m pretty sure the frequency band should be around 315MHZ for a home link.

Heppcatt

Reaction score
I’m a Garage door guy, LED bulbs can have an adverse effect on range of your remote. So can: bad wiring in the home, heated floors, motion detectors, WiFi, security cameras etc. I could go on all day about spectrum pollution. Without a Spectrometer, you just have to go through and shut things down until you find out what the offending item is. I don’t work with Ryobi products, but I’m pretty sure the frequency band should be around 315MHZ for a home link.

Also, just press and hold the button until you see the door react. Most of the time, people are just frustrated a new product doesn’t work the same as the old one. Just relax and press the button, don’t freak out and button mash.

Rick3019

Reaction score
Sometimes mine won’t work then I put the sun visors down and it works ?

Reaction score
I was thinking it may be defective and since so many of you are having no problems I'm thinking that even more. Doesn't matter if I push it once, hold it, or any variation there of. I have sat in my driveway, backed up towards the door and not had it work for 2 or three minutes until I give up. Does anyone have a diagram or anything of where the Homelink antenna is?

Neokane

Reaction score
I am going to try this when I get home..
From a different thread... https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/garage-door-buttons.1592/post-114345

"My thoughts and a bullet proof way I've done this with all my vehicles:

1. press and hold buttons 1 and 3 together until the light starts to flash (could be 10-20 seconds and this will clear the HL memory)
2. learn the remote button into HL as instructed until the led starts to flash
3. Put the garage door opener into LEARN mode
4. Within 30-seconds, go into the truck and press the HL button you programmed earlier for 3-seconds...release and press again for 3-seconds...release and press one last time (the door should now be moving up and down when using the HL button)
5. Never had an issue if you follow these simple steps"

RAMRhode

Reaction score

Regular LED bulbs cause havoc with radio frequencies. Change the bulb to a LED bulb specific for garage door openers. Genie makes one. I would first though, put a regular bulb in first to see if indeed that is cause.

Reaction score
I am going to try this when I get home..
From a different thread... https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/garage-door-buttons.1592/post-114345

"My thoughts and a bullet proof way I've done this with all my vehicles:

1. press and hold buttons 1 and 3 together until the light starts to flash (could be 10-20 seconds and this will clear the HL memory)
2. learn the remote button into HL as instructed until the led starts to flash
3. Put the garage door opener into LEARN mode
4. Within 30-seconds, go into the truck and press the HL button you programmed earlier for 3-seconds...release and press again for 3-seconds...release and press one last time (the door should now be moving up and down when using the HL button)
5. Never had an issue if you follow these simple steps"

This is the exact procedure I do with my cars. The other two work great, this Ram though is a different story....

FWIW, I have a Ryobi opener also and my range in my truck is similar to past vehicles which I consider good.

Actually that's really helpful, I was curious if it was more of the Ryobi garage door opener and the truck not getting along. But if you have that Ryobi as well then that can't be the case. I mean if I am directly outside of the garage, and the buttons on the visor are only maybe 15 ft from the opener itself, it only works half the time. If I'm any further than that it only works maybe 1% of the time. That includes like 3 feet further, my truck bed has to be backed up all the way to the garage door or inside of the garage for it to work. And that's after I've extended the antenna outside of the garage, which did appear to improve the range on the other vehicles

Users who are viewing this thread