5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Homelink and 2 Dodges Canceling Each Other

VAVTX

Reaction score
I tried searching but didn't have any luck for this issue. I have two Genie garage door openers. I have a 2020 Dodge Durango with Homelink that works fine on both doors. I programmed my 2022 Ram 1500 to both door openers and they worked fine. But It made the Durango so neither opener would work. I reprogrammed the Durango and they worked fine but now the 1500 won't work. All through this Genie remote controls continued to work as they should. Any ideas?

Thanks!

ShortStack

Reaction score
Had something similar happen to me with my F150 and my Edge ST (F150 traded for RAM :D) You need to have the vehicle that does work at least 1000ft away from the doors before
you try and program the vehicle that does not work. Genie has a random code generator for the door and what is happening is the code being sent is disabling the initially working vehicle
while it is enabling the new vehicle. So moving the one that works out of range will allow a second Homelink to be programmed.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Had something similar happen to me with my F150 and my Edge ST (F150 traded for RAM :D) You need to have the vehicle that does work at least 1000ft away from the doors before
you try and program the vehicle that does not work. Genie has a random code generator for the door and what is happening is the code being sent is disabling the initially working vehicle
while it is enabling the new vehicle. So moving the one that works out of range will allow a second Homelink to be programmed.
I don’t 100% think that’s the case since the original remote still works with the Genie opener. I’m having the same issue with home link in the Ram and a MyQ hub. Either one or the other works, but not both. I think the root problem is that the garage door opener is wiping all devices except the genie opener. I know the opener also uses rolling codes after researching the part number on genies site.

ShortStack

Reaction score
Well I do have my RAM, Edge and two hand held openers working together. The RAM I registered using the hand held remote. The Edge I registered using the garage door opener.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well I do have my RAM, Edge and two hand held openers working together. The RAM I registered using the hand held remote. The Edge I registered using the garage door opener.
This is really strange that both the OP and I are having the issue. Do you know the model number of yours?

ShortStack

Reaction score
I'll have to get that off the unit. But I do know the directions in the manual are a bit off. Let re-read the directions and try to remember what I skipped and what I did twice.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'll have to get that off the unit. But I do know the directions in the manual are a bit off. Let re-read the directions and try to remember what I skipped and what I did twice.
Ok thanks. What I’m wondering is if there’s a fundamental difference in capabilities programmed into the models. Mine’s pretty old with no wifi capabilities (but does have rolling codes), so I added a Chamberlain MyQ hub. I can post up my model number also, and once I get yours, I’ll probably call customer support and see if they know something.

ShortStack

Reaction score
Haven't forgotten you - My son dislocated his shoulder so a little busy.

Ram4Lou

Reaction score
I tried searching but didn't have any luck for this issue. I have two Genie garage door openers. I have a 2020 Dodge Durango with Homelink that works fine on both doors. I programmed my 2022 Ram 1500 to both door openers and they worked fine. But It made the Durango so neither opener would work. I reprogrammed the Durango and they worked fine but now the 1500 won't work. All through this Genie remote controls continued to work as they should. Any ideas?

Thanks!
I know some garage door openers can only accommodate a certain number of transmitters. I ran into this with both my Genie openers. I’m not certain how many they can hold, but when I tried to use both genie transmitters, two cars (home link), a motorcycle and another battery transmitter mounted outside the garage door, it would always kick the last one that was added off. So maybe about four or five devices is all that is allowed. It’s in the genie instructions.

To remedy it, I just reset the opener of all devices and then added everything back except the two genie remotes.

Hope this is helpful and good luck 👍

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I know some garage door openers can only accommodate a certain number of transmitters. I ran into this with both my Genie openers. I’m not certain how many they can hold, but when I tried to use both genie transmitters, two cars (home link), a motorcycle and another battery transmitter mounted outside the garage door, it would always kick the last one that was added off. So maybe about four or five devices is all that is allowed. It’s in the genie instructions.

To remedy it, I just reset the opener of all devices and then added everything back except the two genie remotes.

Hope this is helpful and good luck 👍
Thanks for mentioning that, I never thought about a max number of devices. I’m going to call Genie’s parent company and find out what that max is.

ShortStack

Reaction score
Makes sense. I have 5 connected which is not too bad. But I now remember I drove away from the house (had to get groceries) and programmed the RAM using the remote. The edge I did using
the actual door opener by pressing the learn button on the side of the opener.

Well good luck with it.

VAVTX

Reaction score
Circling back on this one. I finally had time to mess with it. It is a Genie thing. I reset the code on the opener by holding down the learn button. Then I trained a handheld remote and then used it to do both the Ram and the Durango. It worked this time. Just like Ram4lou said…..there must be a max number of devices the opener can accommodate.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I solved my problem by replacing my genie with a chamberlain myQ unit to match the rest of my stuff.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just experienced this last week when my wife got a new car. So, I have 4 remotes, her car, my truck, the outside keypad and the garage door opener. When I added her car to the door, the hand held remote stopped working. When I programmed that again, the outside keypad stopped working. I reprogrammed that and my wife's car stopped working again. I reprogrammed her car and the truck stopped working.

To fix this, I reset the truck and drove it up the road so it was out of range. I reprogrammed my wife's car, then drove it up the road also. Reprogrammed the handheld and the keypad. Now everything works! I have a 20 year old Liftmaster that I was told can only support 3 remotes. Well, I guess that's wrong now that I have 4.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t 100% think that’s the case since the original remote still works with the Genie opener. I’m having the same issue with home link in the Ram and a MyQ hub. Either one or the other works, but not both. I think the root problem is that the garage door opener is wiping all devices except the genie opener. I know the opener also uses rolling codes after researching the part number on genies site.
I have a MyQ working with both my Chamberlain door opener on my truck side, and a Genie opener in my wife's side of garage. My homelink in truck is programmed to both the chamberlain and genie openers, and my wife's car is programmed to the genie. As well as two remotes on the genie. No issues at all. I even upgraded from the old square black MyQ(after it stopped connecting to WiFi) to the new white more rounded white one with no issues.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a MyQ working with both my Chamberlain door opener on my truck side, and a Genie opener in my wife's side of garage. My homelink in truck is programmed to both the chamberlain and genie openers, and my wife's car is programmed to the genie. As well as two remotes on the genie. No issues at all. I even upgraded from the old square black MyQ(after it stopped connecting to WiFi) to the new white more rounded white one with no issues.
I had the white round one also and cleared the programmed remotes. I believe there was some part of the hardware that went bad, which is why I replaced it. Costco had the video chamberlain myQ belt drive unit for $229. I couldn’t pass it up.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had the white round one also and cleared the programmed remotes. I believe there was some part of the hardware that went bad, which is why I replaced it. Costco had the video chamberlain myQ belt drive unit for $229. I couldn’t pass it up.
Nope, definitely a good upgrade.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You have rolling code openers. You should have a button on your actual opener ( the part that opens the door, not the remote ) you press that and then the remote and it learns it. Then do it again for the other remote. Even if they are "cloned" the codes are rolling.

Giattjos

Reaction score
So im just seeing this thread and curious if the final verdict to move other cars you dont want to reprogram far away to program a new homelink? My RAM works then my VW doesnt, then i set the VW and my RAM doesnt.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So im just seeing this thread and curious if the final verdict to move other cars you dont want to reprogram far away to program a new homelink? My RAM works then my VW doesnt, then i set the VW and my RAM doesnt.
Make sure you aren't clearing out the programmed vehicles from the garage door opener.

Users who are viewing this thread