5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Home link issues

crangel

Reaction score
I had issues with getting mine programmed (non-rolling code) as well. I went back to an old remote I had that I know got better range (uses a 9v battery, not a coin battery), put a fresh battery in it, and was able to get it to program using the instructions on the first try. I think it needs a really strong signal.

Kootbiker

Reaction score
Finally got it working, had to sync truck homelink direct to garage door opener. Using the handheld/visor clipped original remote would not sync with the Homelink in the truck.

BadAspSVT

Reaction score
I found a few videos on youtube that walk you through the setup (not the Ram videos) and was able to program it on the 1st try whereas when following the manual it would not work.

truthruff

Reaction score
Anybody else not able to setup homelink? I’ve read the threads about weak signal issues , procedure clarifications from manual etc. I’ve followed manual instructions to a T but can’t get the homelink button to learn signal from remote. Nevermind the rolling code issue. Can’t even get to that point. Never had issue programming my 10 and 13 rams on same opener. HL in my new 19 will not learn, doesn’t switch from slow blink to rapid one after clearing and resetting. I’ve tried it with ignition set to ACC, run, on. All with same result...failure. Any pointers?
I just read (and tried) the craziest suggestion ever.... and it worked! I had to follow all of the manual instructions for a rolling code garage door opener, but I had the vehicle in D (drive) while executing the programming functions. Obviously, I put it in park when I went into the garage to hit the learn button, but then put it back into D when I pressed the homelink button. On the 3rd 2 second push the garage door started operating. Crazy!! It is worth noting that I never have seen the instrument cluster display message about training, learning, etc... I just followed the instructions anyway and voila. Good luck!

truthruff

Reaction score
Has anyone found a solution to this? The HL in my wife's Honda programmed with no problem, but I can't get the RAM to program.

I just posted below that I followed all of the programming instructions with the vehicle in “Drive”. Yes, it is crazy, but it worked. See post near the end of the thread.

Bluesurf

Reaction score
On one of my remote devices I too had a hard time. What did it for me was holding down the button on the truck, then I took my remote held it down after a few seconds I began to push and release the button on my hand held remote many times and I saw my light began to flash quickly. I stopped and was connected.

Stryker6040

Reaction score
I had a hell of a time programming homelink last night on my 2019 bighorn, the steps in the owners manual are wrong never did get any messages on the dash cluster like the manual referred to. Tried a few walk throughs from here with no luck, and even went to the garage door openers support site for their homelink programming setup. In the end I called the 800 number listed in the manual for home link support and the generic steps they gave was able to get it working after a few attemps. All other ram, dodge, jeep vechiles I have own have never been such a pain in the ***

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had mine set up back in Florida. Since moving to Michigan, I was being lazy and just used the garage door opener and now I'm fine with just using it.

50Front

Reaction score
Make sure the last part of programming u do is pressing the learn button on the actual garage ceiling !!..then go back to your truck and press the the program button to see if it opens garage... this seem counterintuitive... but this worked for me !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
this is the key, need to hit learn button on garage door opener motor.

bigoldthor

Reaction score
this is the key, need to hit learn button on garage door opener motor.
You know, I've always had to do this with numerous past vehicles, as instructed by the manual. This Ram is the first one that didn't require it. Even though the manual says you have to use the learn button, mine didn't require it. I just went through the first part of the steps where I'm holding the original transmitter up the HL buttons on the visor, went through the press-and-hold sequences, and voila...worked. Never had to get out of the truck or have anyone else push the learn button.

Thought it was a fluke until I did it on the second garage door opener, and it did exactly the same thing. These are Chamberlain openers with rolling codes, probably 12 years old now.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My garage door is a Chamberlain. It's only about 2 years old.

If I recall correctly, I didn't read any instructions for my Homelink. I just attempted to program it the same way I've done in the past. I figured if that didn't work, THEN I would read the directions. And yeah, no need to press the Learn button on the opener itself. I just pressed and held buttons on the Homelink and the garage remote. I think I did have to try it 2 or 3 times before I stumbled on the right combo of button presses and timing, but then it just worked.

From what I've read here, I have a feeling that the real problem is having incorrect instructions in the owner's manual.

Powereng

Reaction score
Just did my programming today, and with a garage door opener with learn button did not work. I had to hold the remote up close to my visor and hold both the remote and Home Link buttons at the same time for at least 30 seconds, then it worked. I was starting to think it would never program. I have set up three other vehicles, two Hyundai's and one Honda using the learn button, really easy. Too bad the Ram manual was no help.

Clayinfla

Reaction score
I agree, my Ram homelink was the most difficult vehicle
I have paired Out of the vehicles I have owned.

Users who are viewing this thread