5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HK Rear Seat Sound

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone listened to the HK system from the back seat? It's just odd with the two way headliner speaker on one side and the 6x9 door woofer on the other. Really seems like the 6x9 door speaker should be a two or three way to balance out.

Now if you are the unlucky center seat person you'd get great sound, just coming above and behind you.

djwdjw

Reaction score
Anyone listened to the HK system from the back seat? It's just odd with the two way headliner speaker on one side and the 6x9 door woofer on the other. Really seems like the 6x9 door speaker should be a two or three way to balance out.

Now if you are the unlucky center seat person you'd get great sound, just coming above and behind you.

I find the sub to be completely overpowering. I have it cut all the way down on eq and it still is overpowering an otherwise reasonable audio set-up. My build is after the TSB cut-off so it's not that problem. Ridiculously boomy. Feels like it rattles everyone at the stoplights, including me :)

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I find the sub to be completely overpowering. I have it cut all the way down on eq and it still is overpowering an otherwise reasonable audio set-up. My build is after the TSB cut-off so it's not that problem. Ridiculously boomy. Feels like it rattles everyone at the stoplights, including me :)
You turned the bass to -9 on the EQ and find the sub overpowering? If so, makes me wonder how these trucks have so much variance. Mine at 0 is barely noticeable.

djwdjw

Reaction score
You turned the bass to -9 on the EQ and find the sub overpowering? If so, makes me wonder how these trucks have so much variance. Mine at 0 is barely noticeable.

Yes. It is more pronounced when playing a CD for me, and the music choice does make a difference. But I have shifted the fader far forward to compensate with -9 on bass eq. I often have a grandkid in the rear seat and worry the sub is gonna cause a nosebleed :)

Jordan2929

Reaction score
I have also noticed how if your sitting in the rear seats its almost as though the sound is only coming through the headliner speakers, very odd to listen to music that way. Just another reason why I'm very displeased with this sound system.

Nick814

Reaction score
Havent sat in back yet, but up front i think it sounds great.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Sound in the back seat is horrible! My girlfriend and I sat back there to be comfortable and listen to the HK. It was unacceptable. Muddy muffled bass and no highs. Front seats are a totally different story.

As much as people complain about the sub, I think it's pretty good. It is capable of reproducing deep organ pedal bass. I do not like the frequencies that the bass is boosted though. It's way too boomy. I'd like to boost at 50 Hz & 100 Hz. The system sounds like the bass boost may be at 250 Hz, which makes it sound muddy.

I wish someone who is tech savvy would figure a hack to add a 1/3 octave equalizer. That would be awesome.

greatone99

Reaction score
mine supposedly has the update ,based on my build date ,and I have the the bass set at plus 6 and its still not enough .thinking mine does not have the update

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
mine supposedly has the update ,based on my build date ,and I have the the bass set at plus 6 and its still not enough .thinking mine does not have the update
If you are at plus 6 there is no way you have the update. The bass is ridiculously prominent once you get the update. Most people have it set at level or below just to be able to listen to it.

greatone99

Reaction score
If you are at plus 6 there is no way you have the update. The bass is ridiculously prominent once you get the update. Most people have it set at level or below just to be able to listen to it.
its going in next week for the update good or bad . I can adjust the equalizer down ,plus I use sportfiy app which has an equalizer where u can fine tune the different frenq

The_Chemist

Reaction score
I doubt if you really do have the update. My truck was built in late September. I have the eq set totally flat and the bass is more than enough. My truck is so sloppily built that the entire rear wall and the sliding window vibrates.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
its going in next week for the update good or bad . I can adjust the equalizer down ,plus I use sportfiy app which has an equalizer where u can fine tune the different frenq
I still think it's worth updating even with the bass issues.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't go above 22 in mine. I was driving down I-94 today, sunroof open, 75mph and radio was set to 19...Loud and clear.

greatone99

Reaction score
I did a db test mine is 112.5 db at full volume ,and averages 95 between 26-30 ,I also noticed bass sounds better at minus 2 to plus 2 ,and is a muddy mess at plus 5 where I had it ,so maybe mine is updated ,and my ears maybe suck lol I went to the dealer today and there where no updates for my amp ,as in it is updated ,they plugged it in

ashasha

Reaction score
Just picked up a Limited the other day. It must have been sitting for a while because the build date was Oct2018....got a great deal, truck is fine other than the stereo. I have the excessive bass and poor mid problem as well. I have a service appointment scheduled for Tuesday, but it's sounding (no pun intended) like I'm going to be facing an uphill battle with the service center. It's weird because sometimes it sounds fairly decent; especially with modern pop, but for classic rock it is pretty poor. I had an HK system in a Mercedes a few years ago and it sounded much better than this does. I have to back the bass down to almost nothing and then it just sounds like a crappy 80's boombox. It's really boxy and boomy with smeared mids. The highs are there, but everything sounds off.

Has anyone managed to get to the bottom of this? Like what software and EQ version is supposed to be installed?

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
There’s a tsb for the hk system which is supposed to make a huge difference. If you go to the tsb thread and go into the dealer with that hopefully they will apply it and all will be good. Let’s us know

Users who are viewing this thread