5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HK radio and door speaker upgrade

Kendal

Reaction score
Hello everyone , this has been written about before,however, for more clarification replacing the front door speakers one can use the CDT audio 6x9 cl69s on the front door because it’s a mid and base speaker . For the rear doors I believe you need a coax speaker because factory use is also coax ….a tweeter ? I have read where some people have used the cl69s on all 4 doors ….. which would be different than the factory design….Is that my best option ?

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just did mine recently. Front and rear 6x9 on the HK system are the same speaker.
CDT CL69-S 4 ohm are what you want for all four doors.

Kendal

Reaction score
I just did mine recently. Front and rear 6x9 on the HK system are the same speaker.
CDT CL69-S 4 ohm are what you want for all four doors.
Yes I read the thread and somebody posted that the back speaker was a coax …….thanks very much for your reply…….also did you use the metro adapter 72-6514 to keep polarity reversed for the new speaker …..is it plug and play from CDT ………thanks again

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes I read the thread and somebody posted that the back speaker was a coax …….thanks very much for your reply…….also did you use the metro adapter 72-6514 to keep polarity reversed for the new speaker …..is it plug and play from CDT ………thanks again
I *think* the polarity on the metra adapter if reversed, you might want to double check before connecting

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did use the 6514 Metra adapters. Doing so it is truly plug and play.
I tried reversing polarity to +/+ and -/-, but I didn't like it in my truck. After one 70 mile round trip to work and back, I went back to the polarity FCA elected to use and hooked my ANC mics back up. It sounds really good. I have bass set at -2 and it still hits hard. I could likely go more negative and still be happy.

Kendal

Reaction score
I did use the 6514 Metra adapters. Doing so it is truly plug and play.
I tried reversing polarity to +/+ and -/-, but I didn't like it in my truck. After one 70 mile round trip to work and back, I went back to the polarity FCA elected to use and hooked my ANC mics back up. It sounds really good. I have bass set at -2 and it still hits hard. I could likely go more negative and still be happy.
Thank you ….also do you use Sirius radio at this time and have you considered pandora or any other option that would have less compression and more fidelity? Regarding the HK system have to say the Alpine system in my 2015 sounded better in all aspects …..on the HK its as if not much sound comes from the door speakers but more from the front dash

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you ….also do you use Sirius radio at this time and have you considered pandora or any other option that would have less compression and more fidelity? Regarding the HK system have to say the Alpine system in my 2015 sounded better in all aspects …..on the HK its as if not much sound comes from the door speakers but more from the front dash

I use Pandora exclusively.
Never used satellite radio before, so no idea how it sounds.

Kendal

Reaction score
Interesting at 192 Kbps vs Sirius at 24 to 48 Kbps is a huge difference.....

german88

Reaction score
Clearing up a few facts for this thread:
All the factory 6X9's are the same type of driver which is a mid bass driver only and not coaxial.
Ram engineers decided to reverse polarity which puts the speaker "out of phase" on all 4 6X9's. This was obviously in an attempt to create a desired sound profile. Metra adaptors are also "out of phase" which requires the user to cut and solder to achieve "in phase" . Scap seems to have had issues with his ANC and some undesirable noise issues with the speakers in phase. First I've heard of this as this mod was detailed at length in a few other places here and all were installed "in phase" without issue. Could be a programming update thing...

Kendal

Reaction score
Clearing up a few facts for this thread:
All the factory 6X9's are the same type of driver which is a mid bass driver only and not coaxial.
Ram engineers decided to reverse polarity which puts the speaker "out of phase" on all 4 6X9's. This was obviously in an attempt to create a desired sound profile. Metra adaptors are also "out of phase" which requires the user to cut and solder to achieve "in phase" . Scap seems to have had issues with his ANC and some undesirable noise issues with the speakers in phase. First I've heard of this as this mod was detailed at length in a few other places here and all were installed "in phase" without issue. Could be a programming update thing..question

Kendal

Reaction score
Then are the speakers with the adapter wired out of phase or in phase?

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Then are the speakers with the adapter wired out of phase or in phase?
6514 maintains factory phasing. (+/-, +/-)
6515 reverses factory phasing. (+/+, -/-)

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It could be confusing to those that haven't done a speaker swap yet. I know it was making my brain hurt when trying to align what was being said on the forum and then looking at the factory wiring diagram.

seems some of us are looking at it from the factory perspective and others from a speaker perspective. It all shakes out the same, but anyone approaching this task should pick a start and follow through from that start. I found I was looking at both ends as a starting point and trying to meet in the middle. That really sucked....lol

Kendal

Reaction score
So to summarize people used adapter 65-14 which is out of phase per factory design….and out of phase is the correct way to wire speakers which enables the best sound as the factory intended……thanks just want to be clear

Kendal

Reaction score
Just talked to cruthfield audio the factory 6x9 speakers are 2 ohm the cl69 s are 4 ohm which will decrease volume by half …….any thoughts

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just talked to cruthfield audio the factory 6x9 speakers are 2 ohm the cl69 s are 4 ohm which will decrease volume by half …….any thoughts
The Alpine system has 2 ohm speakers, I believe, but the HK has 4 ohms. I’ve only had the rear headliner speakers out so far myself on my HK system, and they were just under 4 ohm.

Users who are viewing this thread