5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HK 19 Speaker System - Where ARE the 19 Speakers?

RSConsulting

Reaction score
I count 2 in each door, 3 in the dash (including center) for 7 up front - and 1 in each door, 2 in the headliner for 4 in the rear - plus a sub stuffed somewhere I haven't found yet. So that makes 12 (including the sub).

Where are the other 7?

I pulled $5K of my Focal & Moscone stuff out of my previous Honda Pilot (didn't make sense to leave it in for a trade-in). Wondering if I should bother tearing the interior of this truck apart to install (though I really can't figure out where I'm going to stuff the 3 amps and 13" JLA flat sub).

The factory system sounds "pretty good". It's not a fully tuned 1,500 watt Focal/Moscone system - but pretty good. Not sure I want to mess with it on this truck.

But it's be nice to figure out where the 19 factory speakers actually are...

Thanks,

Rick

knightro84

Reaction score
The unity speakers they count as two speakers since they contain a tweeter - so that is 14 speakers, plus 4 6x9's in the doors, plus the sub is behind the rear passenger seat.

19 Speaker System
  • 7 Unity speakers
    • 3 in IP, 2 in upper front doors, 2 in rear headliner
  • 4 6x9” woofers
    • 1 in each lower door
  • 10” enclosed subwoofer
    • Behind rear passenger seat

RSConsulting

Reaction score
The unity speakers they count as two speakers since they contain a tweeter - so that is 14 speakers, plus 4 6x9's in the doors, plus the sub is behind the rear passenger seat.

19 Speaker System
  • 7 Unity speakers
    • 3 in IP, 2 in upper front doors, 2 in rear headliner
  • 4 6x9” woofers
    • 1 in each lower door
  • 10” enclosed subwoofer
    • Behind rear passenger seat

Thanks for the speedy response.

Much as I have always done custom systems in all my rides - I may just leave this one alone.

6X9's in the doors, eh?

What I have from the old truck: 2016 Honda Pilot Touring

Focal 165KRX3 - 3 Way Component (old front stage - woofer in door/mids & tweets mounted in custom A pillar)
Focal 165KRX2 - 2 Way Component (rear door - woofer mounted in factory location, tweeter high in door)
Focal 3KRX3 - Mid Range (in the rear surround position)
JL Audio 13TW5v2-4 - 13" Shallow Sub in custom box
Moscone One 120.4 (times two - drove the fronts Bi-Amped on one amp - drove the rears passive on 2 channels, and the surrounds on the other 2 channels)
Moscone One 240.2 (subwoofer)
Moscone 6 to 8 DSP

So I may just opt to either:

1 - Leave well enough alone - even though running a system like I had in my previous ride, really highlights what big $$ invested can bring to car audio.
2 - Get with my installer to figure out how to re-use what I already have (though finding a place to stuff the 3 amps could be problematic)
3 - Sell off my used gear and start from scratch (or just leave well enough alone).

I'm opting for #1 for the moment.

My boxes of take-offs aren't going anywhere. I would probably still go with Focal/Moscone - and perhaps sell my 3 amps and get the Pro 5|30, which gives me enough channels in a single package that would be less problematic to find a home for (21"x8").

My installer is using a PAC Audio AP4-Ch41 which takes 20-20 audio right off the head unit, into a JLA TWK88D (via optical) to put systems into these trucks.

Still gotta think long & hard on this one.

Thanks for the responses.

Rick

Loyal Ram

Reaction score
Infinity reference is the way to go. I installed them in my 2018 1500 ecodiesel in the dash corners and it was night and day difference. I was going to upgrade the others but after installing them there was no need. I just traded the ecodiesel in Monday for a 19 2500 and ordered new infinity REF-3032CFC for it. The HK in my new truck IMO doesn’t sound as good as my alpine system did in my18 but I have full confidence the infinity’s will take care of the problem.

Last edited:

RSConsulting

Reaction score
I gotta be honest.

Considering I've had high end audio systems in all my previous rides (Infinity/JLA/FOCAL) - the reality is - the HK Factory systems doesn't sound all that bad.

As good as the system I pulled out of my previous ride (list above)? NO. And as a recording/concert sound (FOH) engineer - yes I can hear the difference.

So much better that I would want to tear apart my sweet interior, and lose much of my storage space to put a sub and hide 3 amps (4 amps if I do it the way my installer wants to)? Having an etorque battery behind the rear seat takes away some of the "hiding spots" for stuff. I could relocate the "tire change hardware" and lose the factory amp, and get space under the driver/passenger front seats.

I'm not really sure yet. I can still recoup a bunch of $$, selling off my Focal/Moscone stuff.

They actually did a surprisingly decent job - for a factory system.

I'm gonna take a trip up to my installers shop (a 2 hour ride since he moved to melbourne), and site down with him & his fabricator and hash out what the game plan might be. I'm not even sure the Focal mids will fit where the "unity speakers" go. And I really don't want to start chopping up the doors/dash.

So - I read, I research...

Rick

Users who are viewing this thread