5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hitch Clarification

alwalden22

Reaction score
Hi All,
I hope this is the proper area to post for the topic at hand. I would like a little clarification on the Class 4 hitch my 2019 1500 comes with. My research yielded a max tongue weight of 1k lbs when weight carrying and 1.4k lbs when weight distributing. I just wanted to confirm that these numbers are talking about tongue weight max when using vs not using a weight distribution system when towing. Thank you all! -A

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ok. This is an interesting question. Because the rating is all over the place when you do this research.

I do believe in the owner's manual (the one you need to download) this info is listed. I unfortunately can not access my SD card right now.

That said, and correct me if I am wrong, the numbers you listed appear to be the generic numbers for the class of hitch.

So here is what FCA commercial vehicles say.
And yes, it is contradictory also.

Screenshot_20200731-070737.png Screenshot_20200731-070658.png

What we need to understand first is...although a class IV hitch has a rating...the truck itself could have one less. And this is the case with the RAM.

They list 1290 as the max tongue weight. Then they list 1045 as the max tongue weight.

Ok so 1045 or 1290.

What I believe you have here is the load bearing weight (no WDH) and then with a Weight Distribution Hitch.

So, download the full owner's manual id you haven't and see what it says. I do know that RAM requires a WDH if over 500lbs tongue and 5000lbs trailer.

That said. I believe it is based on type if trailer.

Good luck.

Rick J

Reaction score
Ok. This is an interesting question. Because the rating is all over the place when you do this research.

I do believe in the owner's manual (the one you need to download) this info is listed. I unfortunately can not access my SD card right now.

That said, and correct me if I am wrong, the numbers you listed appear to be the generic numbers for the class of hitch.

So here is what FCA commercial vehicles say.
And yes, it is contradictory also.

View attachment 63949 View attachment 63950

What we need to understand first is...although a class IV hitch has a rating...the truck itself could have one less. And this is the case with the RAM.

They list 1290 as the max tongue weight. Then they list 1045 as the max tongue weight.

Ok so 1045 or 1290.

What I believe you have here is the load bearing weight (no WDH) and then with a Weight Distribution Hitch.

So, download the full owner's manual id you haven't and see what it says. I do know that RAM requires a WDH if over 500lbs tongue and 5000lbs trailer.

That said. I believe it is based on type if trailer.

Good luck.
Here's what's in the owners manual. Capture.JPG Capture1.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online