5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hill Descent Control

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Couchsachraga

Reaction score
I laughed at HDC originally, but have found it handy a few times (mostly slippery slope situations, mud or snow). I'm curious to see how well developed FCA's is; the Land Rover variety worked quite well, and being able to control the descent speed with the cruise control accel / decel was a really nice feature (that a lot of folks with Land Rovers didn't know about.. .but then not a lot of them leave the pavement either)

alow

Reaction score
I thought it was cool to get it with the off road pkg but I'm going to have to remember I have it.

Mikeg

Reaction score
so when hdc is on and active the driver is just steering, not using the gas or brake, correct?

Couchsachraga

Reaction score
I don't know about in the Ram, but in the LR3 if I recall correctly it only deals with braking (so if it is on and you get to a hill you need to step on the accelerator...). I've used it infrequently, but when I have it has been nice (creeping down long icy downhills, or steep gravel offroad). Unless you are pushing it traction wise due to the "road" surface conditions you'll likely never use it. Also note it is really only for slow speeds.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
so when hdc is on and active the driver is just steering, not using the gas or brake, correct?
That is generally correct. It's a feature I use on my wife's Audi, if I remember it's there. At a certain point, HCD can not overcome gravity and does not replace the driver or relieve the driver from being in control. My experience with the feature is positive.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have no actual user knowledge, but from the research I did while contemplating buying the 2018 HD...it works as a low speed cruise control.

You set the speed as shown in the link in my other post, and it will maintain that speed both up and down hill. That said I am not sure how much of an uphill it would maintain.

But, as stated, I never used it personally going on second hand info.

Would be great if someone could give a video or how to about the 5th Gen specifically, haven't seen one yet.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I used HDC yesterday on an icy rutted long downhill and can report it worked really well. The hill is long and steep truck would start to slide and the HDC would catch it in a blink. Also the e locker is awesome getting back up the hill no problem.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for that info. Been waiting to hear about both things from someone here.

Sounds like the work how I hoped.

Asdavid

Reaction score
Anyone had a possible problem with the button on hdc? When I depress it the light doesn’t come on nor do I see any indication or light in instrument cluster that it was. On the same note when I press the engine auto start off button it doesn’t illuminate either. It’s a 2021 ram

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Only available in 4Low and certain conditions have to be meant.

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
Anyone had a possible problem with the button on hdc? When I depress it the light doesn’t come on nor do I see any indication or light in instrument cluster that it was. On the same note when I press the engine auto start off button it doesn’t illuminate either. It’s a 2021 ram
I have had mine say "HDC not available at this time". Not sure why that happened, but it worked fine the next time I tried it.

Reaction score
Yes, I'm having the same problem. All the conditions in the owner's manual are met: I'm in 4LOW, going down a steep grade, etc. I press the HDC button and NOTHING happens. Button LED doesn't illuminate. Dash cluster icon doesn't come on. Have you figured yours out? What am I doing wrong here?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Are you pushing the HDC button before you put it in 4low?

I believe you need to have it enabled before going down the hill.

Wish I had one to try.

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
Only available in 4Low and certain conditions have to be meant.
This ☝️ from my experience so far this year. And it goes in to a crawl. I’m talking like 1 mph. It’s great for when you need it in say a super icy decent off a mountain like I was in at the time. It’s a feature you won’t need 99.9% of the time but when you need it, you’re sure glad you have it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I know when i was researching this alot of people were finding out it was not enabled . they had to go to the dealer and jave it flashed.

Sucks that it is not working. Hope you can find out what the issue is
Boy, I hope I don’t have to take it to the dealer. Owned it all of 9 days! Any reason to think it won’t activate until there’s more miles on the truck?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The only other thing is maybe it is configurable in the menus.

Like hill start assist, how long your lights stay, lights on with wipers, park sense etc.

Users who are viewing this thread