5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Highway Tires On A Rebel?

ryco25

Reaction score
This^ - I saw a current-gen red crew cab Rebel this week with stock wheels and highway tires and it was awkward and hideous in my opinion. Looked like it skipped leg day. The only rationale I could come up with is it was someone who bought a Rebel not understanding what it entailed, and then got fed up with the mileage and swapped out.

I personally don't find them loud at all, and the looks make it worth it to me. Mine are wearing rather quickly though; 28k miles and I am starting to notice they look in need of replacement, so I need to figure that out soon...

Update - turns out I was right, only had about 20% treadlife left so I took advantage of a sale and got replacement Duratracs. The new ones ride great and are quieter than my worn ones were, and the tread is just so beefy. I took the opportunity to burn off my old ones before I replaced them 🔥 (photos below are post-burnouts vs new)

Attachments

• IMG_5573.jpeg
    IMG_5573.jpeg
    92.8 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_5592.jpeg
    IMG_5592.jpeg
    152.2 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_5598.jpeg
    IMG_5598.jpeg
    121.8 KB · Views: 98

vadedram

Reaction score
I just got a 2019 Ram Rebel. It came with 3.5" lift on brand new 35x12.50 all terrains and 20x9 Fuel Trophy wheels. I literally drive down several miles of gravel road at <20 mph to and from my house everyday. Usually those roads are mud, sand, and some gravel for looks because the county I live in is broke. I then have to drive at least 40 minutes on highway just to get anywhere. What I drive daily, I would bet, is what most of you consider off-roading and even extreme off-roading in many situations (because I didnt even mention the part where I have to drive to the middle of our ranch to our house, and that road is way worse than the county roads)

With that said, I am thinking of swapping out the all terrains for 275/55 Nitto 420v all season street tires. I have seen a couple pics of this size and it doesnt seem to small with the 3.5" lift. I think it is basically the same size as factory 1500 (non-Rebel) tires.

Reason: Anything with deep tread totally destroys my vehicles by slinging crap all over the truck. The all-terrains fling rocks all down the side of the truck when I transition from gravel to asphalt roads. Sounds like gunfire. I come from a 2500 with 6" lift and 37" Toyo m/t and r/t tires. Although they slung mud all over the truck, they didnt sling rocks all over it. So maybe I might go that way, but right now they are out of my budget, and I cant stand listening to the all-terrains fire rocks at my truck everytime I drive. And yes, if you didnt get it by now, I like my tires sticking out past the fenders. So with the smaller 275/55 and the lift, I will probably be putting 2" spacers on too. Also, I feel like this truck floats all around with this lift and big tires. Unlike my 2500 which didnt float at all. But I also had steering stabilizers on that truck, and it was heavier.

I am hoping that with the smaller street tires I can stick them out with out dealing with rub, while at the same time lessen the amount of crap slung all over my truck. (By crap I mean mud and gravel but also cow crap, haha). I also hope it cuts back on the floating feeling while driving at high speeds, and gives it a little more get up and go, because it is slow as crap with the big tires. My other vehicles with regular all season tires seem to be okay on the backroads most of the time, although they do get stuck sometimes, but they also dont have 4 wheel drive.

Just hope they dont get punctured too easily out here.

To defend my idea of putting street tires on the Rebel, well, it was the best priced fully loaded used Ram 1500 I could find.

hopefully this gives everyone a little laugh. (ill keep the barely used 35 all terrains for a bit after I change, to make sure I like the 275/55 street tires, especially since this time of the year is when these gravel roads turn to slosh.)

clazer

Reaction score
I just got a 2019 Ram Rebel. It came with 3.5" lift on brand new 35x12.50 all terrains and 20x9 Fuel Trophy wheels. I literally drive down several miles of gravel road at <20 mph to and from my house everyday. Usually those roads are mud, sand, and some gravel for looks because the county I live in is broke. I then have to drive at least 40 minutes on highway just to get anywhere. What I drive daily, I would bet, is what most of you consider off-roading and even extreme off-roading in many situations (because I didnt even mention the part where I have to drive to the middle of our ranch to our house, and that road is way worse than the county roads)

With that said, I am thinking of swapping out the all terrains for 275/55 Nitto 420v all season street tires. I have seen a couple pics of this size and it doesnt seem to small with the 3.5" lift. I think it is basically the same size as factory 1500 (non-Rebel) tires.

Reason: Anything with deep tread totally destroys my vehicles by slinging crap all over the truck. The all-terrains fling rocks all down the side of the truck when I transition from gravel to asphalt roads. Sounds like gunfire. I come from a 2500 with 6" lift and 37" Toyo m/t and r/t tires. Although they slung mud all over the truck, they didnt sling rocks all over it. So maybe I might go that way, but right now they are out of my budget, and I cant stand listening to the all-terrains fire rocks at my truck everytime I drive. And yes, if you didnt get it by now, I like my tires sticking out past the fenders. So with the smaller 275/55 and the lift, I will probably be putting 2" spacers on too. Also, I feel like this truck floats all around with this lift and big tires. Unlike my 2500 which didnt float at all. But I also had steering stabilizers on that truck, and it was heavier.

I am hoping that with the smaller street tires I can stick them out with out dealing with rub, while at the same time lessen the amount of crap slung all over my truck. (By crap I mean mud and gravel but also cow crap, haha). I also hope it cuts back on the floating feeling while driving at high speeds, and gives it a little more get up and go, because it is slow as crap with the big tires. My other vehicles with regular all season tires seem to be okay on the backroads most of the time, although they do get stuck sometimes, but they also dont have 4 wheel drive.

Just hope they dont get punctured too easily out here.

To defend my idea of putting street tires on the Rebel, well, it was the best priced fully loaded used Ram 1500 I could find.

hopefully this gives everyone a little laugh. (ill keep the barely used 35 all terrains for a bit after I change, to make sure I like the 275/55 street tires, especially since this time of the year is when these gravel roads turn to slosh.)
Appreciate the laugh for sure. The tread is a contributing factor, but the main issue is that your tires are sticking past the fenders. Flaps or flares or less backspace helps a ton. Just bought a jeep with no fenders, and oh my god it is always raining something other than rain.

vadedram

Reaction score
Appreciate the laugh for sure. The tread is a contributing factor, but the main issue is that your tires are sticking past the fenders. Flaps or flares or less backspace helps a ton. Just bought a jeep with no fenders, and oh my god it is always raining something other than rain.
Yeah, thats why I mentioned my 2500 I had. It had the mud tires sticking out far also, but the mud tires let the rocks fall out before speeding up to highway speed, so never really flung them at the truck. As for currently on my 19 rebel the all terrains are flush with the fender flares. I still keep going back and forth on getting mud tires or street tires. But I really think I want the street tires. Ill be making the purchase in the next week or so. Will update, and show pics if i go with street tires.

But to get back to the main purpose of the thread. If you live in a city, or on concrete/asphalt. No its not lame to get street tires. Its being realistic.

Last edited:

clazer

Reaction score
Yeah, thats why I mentioned my 2500 I had. It had the mud tires sticking out far also, but the mud tires let the rocks fall out before speeding up to highway speed, so never really flung them at the truck. As for currently on my 19 rebel the all terrains are flush with the fender flares. I still keep going back and forth on getting mud tires or street tires. But I really think I want the street tires. Ill be making the purchase in the next week or so. Will update, and show pics if i go with street tires.

But to get back to the main purpose of the thread. If you live in a city, or on concrete/asphalt. No its not lame to get street tires. Its being realistic.
If want street tires, get them! A set of 295/70R18 Michelin Defender LTX M/S would tuck in nicely. And you could fit a full-size spare since they are about 34” if you wanted. Or drop to the 275s. Then you don’t need to worry about tires for years.

vadedram

Reaction score
So after I said I was going to buy some street tires, I ordered Toyo Open Country R/T. I have been pleased with them in the past, and decided just to go with them again. Went with 275/60r20. Should be the exact size as the OEM 275/70r18. They only had them in SL not XL though, but dont have much plans for towing. They say max psi 44 too, and were only like 200 less weight capacity per tire. I guess thats okay.

Lots of rain came and the gravel roads turned into sloppy imitation mashed potatoes.

Hope they dont look too goofy with the 3.5" lift. I ordered 2" spacers to see how it looks. My calculations say they should stick out about an 1".

I am hoping it drives better with a reduction in tire size and weight of 20lbs+ per tire, as in better get-up-n-go. (Coming down from 35x12.50)

I would still rather have street tires though. So get them if you want them.

moabbikr

Reaction score
Update - turns out I was right, only had about 20% treadlife left so I took advantage of a sale and got replacement Duratracs. The new ones ride great and are quieter than my worn ones were, and the tread is just so beefy. I took the opportunity to burn off my old ones before I replaced them 🔥 (photos below are post-burnouts vs new)

The tires on my 19 rebel were really quiet until I hit 30K, they progressively got louder and louder. Currently at 45K on the tires and I'm ready to replace which brought me to this post. I say many say these tires are quiet but how many miles do you have on them? They wen to Sh*t quickly..

I also agree with many that putting a street tire on this model is just not right.. I want the look of the A/T tire but no the noise. As you can tell I drive the hell out mine and occasionally do go off road.

Truly confused on what tire to get, so many opinions it makes me want to go with OEM but I truly need a tire to do better than 30K..

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The tires on my 19 rebel were really quiet until I hit 30K, they progressively got louder and louder. Currently at 45K on the tires and I'm ready to replace which brought me to this post. I say many say these tires are quiet but how many miles do you have on them? They wen to Sh*t quickly..

I also agree with many that putting a street tire on this model is just not right.. I want the look of the A/T tire but no the noise. As you can tell I drive the hell out mine and occasionally do go off road.

Truly confused on what tire to get, so many opinions it makes me want to go with OEM but I truly need a tire to do better than 30K..

Toyo AT3s I think would be worth a look!

ryco25

Reaction score
Interestingly the tire shop told me that I should get much closer to the 50k rating with the same exact tires purchased 'aftermarket'. They said that side by side, identical tires, the factory tires usually are not as good of a compound as the ones you can buy from a shop/distributor/manufacturer direct. Said it has something to do with an OEM like Ram buying in bulk from Goodyear and when they agree on a price, it usually affects the quality of the compound.

Whether or not there is any merit to that, I am not sure, but it seems to make sense to me. Regardless, I'm happy with the new set of Duratracs I put on; I'm about 1000 miles into them now.

brewdad

Reaction score
Have any of you Rebel owners bought Falken Wildpeak A/T tires? The Jeep Gladiator Rubicon I test drove with the 33" Falken's had much less tire noise than the Rebel I test drove back to back.

ryco25

Reaction score
Have any of you Rebel owners bought Falken Wildpeak A/T tires? The Jeep Gladiator Rubicon I test drove with the 33" Falken's had much less tire noise than the Rebel I test drove back to back.
That is the spare that our trucks come with; I think the Duratrac looks much better on the truck but I can't compare noise since I only had 1/4 on at the time haha

Tvnorm

Reaction score
To update the thread, I wound up putting on a set of Bridgestone Dueler Revo 3. Really like them a lot so far.
So are they much quieter than stock? I love this truck but am just tired of the constant road noise.

DSN46

Reaction score
I've run Falken AT's on two of my lifted SUV's now and I can say honestly that they are quieter / smoother riding than the Duratracs. When these factory tires are done, I'll be going to Falken again. The ONLY problem with the Falkens is that they are a heavy-*** tire. Their sidewalls are really beefy.

brewdad

Reaction score
When replacing the original Rebel tires, is it best to stay with the original equipment 10-ply E rated tires? Seems like overkill for a 1/2 ton truck.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s not required per se, but it’s pretty much your only option if you intend to retain the OE size, as there are hardly any P-metric tires on the market in that size.

And those that are (cough General Grabber AT cough) are garbage.

Go up to 295/70/18 and you can get an SL rated Nitto Terra Grappler g2, which have at least as many people saying nice things as bad.

But yes it is over kill for a half ton for hauling purposes. It does offer nice protection off road, however.

DivrGuy

Reaction score

I'm curious about your driving style. I think you said you had under 30k on your Duratracs and they already looked like they needed to be replaced? I'm at 28k and mine still look great, like I'll get at least 50k out of them. I assume your burnout pic was just smoking off the old rubber before installing the new ones. But do you normally run your tires below recommended pressure, or have other driving conditions that would cause yours to wear out so much faster than mine seem to be?

Users who are viewing this thread