5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

High Temp Towing Uphill

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And it is an equipment trailer they do the test with.

You said you weighed the truck. Do you have the axle weights?

When I figured your numbers on what you jad said...you were very close to GCWR.

I do not think a further climb would have raised your temps much more. But I am no scientist.

Or maybe you have an issue...maybe there is a bubble of air in your cooling system.

When you hit 247 and came to the top. How long til it came back to 210 or even 220?

Hope your service department can put you at ease

Oroman

Reaction score
I would think that if a truck was to successfully climb an 11.4 mile 5% grade on a 100 degree day, with AC on full, without hitting 250 and triggering the coolant warning light, the temp would need to level off (stop rising) somewhere below 250. 240 - 245 would make sense to me. In my case the temp was climbing the entire 6 mile climb; only stopped rising because I crested the top. If I had not been very close to the top at 245 - 247, I would have had no choice but to pull over, otherwise 250 and warning light was imminent. And also, the SAE towing test requires that full GCWR be used for the 11.5 mile climb!

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Didnt you say the grade was 6%?

With the camper frontal resistance I would venture to guess you were at the sane relative capacity as the test trailer.

Good luck with the service department. Hope they find something wrong or ease your worries.

Oroman

Reaction score
I was climbing at 30 - 45. The SAE test says all trucks need to be able to pull their listed FULL towing GCWR at min 40 mph up 11.5 mile grade without getting a coolant warning. This test criteria only makes sense and I'm glad I found out this standard was developed and was adopted. Consumers need to be able to rely on towing ratings being real. I should NOT have to be concerned with being "close" to my towing limit. It is now obvious, given the SAE towing tests, that I should be able to tow up to max without any worry or 2nd guessing. It's up to the consumer to make sure GVWR is not exceeded by weighing loaded truck and trailer as I did.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe your truck does have something wrong. A 6% grade and only going 30 to 45.

Something is amiss to me.

Our grades going to camp are 9% to 12 % and I can nail 60 without much issue. On a different route there is a 14% grade and it has a few devil elbows and I can haul over 45 without too much drama.

Again, good luck. Hope something is found out.

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was climbing at 30 - 45. The SAE test says all trucks need to be able to pull their listed FULL towing GCWR at min 40 mph up 11.5 mile grade without getting a coolant warning. This test criteria only makes sense and I'm glad I found out this standard was developed and was adopted. Consumers need to be able to rely on towing ratings being real. I should NOT have to be concerned with being "close" to my towing limit. It is now obvious, given the SAE towing tests, that I should be able to tow up to max without any worry or 2nd guessing. It's up to the consumer to make sure GVWR is not exceeded by weighing loaded truck and trailer as I did.
But you didn’t get a coolant warning light, correct?

Also where did you see the results of the 1500 towing test?

It also says if a particular vehicle doesn‘t run this test it can be done in a wind tunnel simulator. Maybe that’s what they did with the 1500. Most of the article talks about 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.

Last edited:

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Possibly air in the cooling system. Have you actually removed the cap and looked inside the radiator? Another thought, does the 4th gen have active grille shutters?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I say this in every towing thread I am involved in.

And i showed it here with the numbers for him

The towing numbers are not what your trailer can weigh. The towing numbers are less once you start talking about a camper.

Right now the publish max tow number is GCWR minus base weight. That means nothing in the truck. No allowance for a hitch.

If your number says 8300...then you have to immediately subtract your own weight and a WDH weight. In my case that is over 400lbs.

Then you have to subtract the tongue weight. The test does it at 10%. A camper will be 12 to 15%.

So before you get started you are down to 6??? Lbs before you load your next person or luggage.

The truck performed fine. You are near capacity...even closer considering your towing a camper.

But hopefully your service department can find something wrong and your truck can take the abuse better

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Why would you manually choose a gear rather than keep it in "automatic" and let the ECM figure out the best gear for the load / conditions?

The computer is reactive. It changes the gear after it notices it needs to. Doing it manually, you can make the engine make more power before it needs it, thereby preventing a lugging situation or a loss in power/speed partway up the hill and then fighting to gain it back.

Oroman

Reaction score
Scram1500:
I have not removed radiator cap to look inside. What am I looking for? Inside a cold radiator? Air? What?

Users who are viewing this thread