5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

High mileage 2019 advice

St-na

Reaction score
Not sure what Honduh or Toyota have to do with anything. They don't have some magic to make them last any longer than other vehicles. And their quality isn't as good as it used to be. Anything can go out on them as well
New Tundra has a lower customer's rating on Edmunds than RaM, seems like they have enough quality and design issues.

irishwake63

Reaction score
Definitely not debating you.

Just saying your talking about hwy miles. If your driving 8+ hours a day. Your gonna stop more to get gas and make more stops for food, loading and unloading. That's alot more stopping and starting than you think and not just hyway miles.

Compared to a standard person, just driving to work 30 mins and leaving it in the parking lot for 7-8 hours untouched.

2022 Ram Big Horn Back Country
2016 Dodge Charger scat pack
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
in comparison hwy miles requires a fraction of the stops/starts/acceleration of doing the same in the city for driving back n forth to work, there is no way possible that you can get that many miles city driving in 4 years. Road dirt/dust finds its way into electronics over time not miles. As well as front end parts, Belts and hoses are degraded more by UV light than miles. Heavy towing CAN affect wear on transmission but normal towing with a good driver may not have much affect at all. Just saying just because it has miles doesnt mean its ready to fall apart. I see you have a wrangler I do as well a 2012 model I occasionally go off road and only thing has went bad is 2 wheel sensors which is understandable given the mud and water it comes in contact with I also did an RC lift it doesnt go rock climbing but lots of mud have nearly 100k.

MSgt Van

Reaction score
First issue popped up at 190K. Driver's side side step extends, then immediately retracts. A shot of PB Blaster to the pivot points seems to have alleviated the issue for now.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I drove about 155 miles a day one way for 4 years on a nearly new car. Almost all highway, maybe 10 miles max on 45 mph city streets, the rest was 65-70 mph on I-40. Car sat for the 8-9 hours I worked then 155 back. That was about 148K. Then I quit that job and found something like 8 miles one way.

Car has close to 200K on it now and the highway driving was certainly easier on it than the city. I never replaced the struts, shocks, brakes or suspension components in the 148K, but have had to do all of those in the subsequent 50K of city driving.

I’d take a documented oil/fluid changed high mileage low years vehicle any day over the “average” mileage city commute car. JMHO of course.

Users who are viewing this thread