5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

High Battery Voltage

NightRam20

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! Thought I would try here for some advice. My 2020 Ram 1500 has had intermittent high voltage. Started with the battery light coming on and speakers would pop. After the first time, I started watching the battery voltage digital reading and it fluctuates between 14.2 to 14.7 volts. I have seen it go over 15v when the lights come in. I have connected a volt meter and was able to verify the sensor is reading correctly. A restart seems to clear the light, but it happens 1 or 2 times a week. I am thinking it is a voltage regulator but have researched and saw it could also be the ECM.

Does anyone have any thoughts and also does anyone know if the voltage regulator is built into the alternator?

I greatly appreciate the input!

knightro84

Reaction score
I typically see anywhere from 13.9 to 14.7 on my Scangauge II while driving, but I've never seen higher than 14.7. Is your battery still original? Maybe it's on its way out and spiking voltage. Could be worth having the battery and alt tested, or if it is still under warranty just bring it to the dealer with the battery light on, I assume it will store a code.

NightRam20

Reaction score
I typically see anywhere from 13.9 to 14.7 on my Scangauge II while driving, but I've never seen higher than 14.7. Is your battery still original? Maybe it's on its way out and spiking voltage. Could be worth having the battery and alt tested, or if it is still under warranty just bring it to the dealer with the battery light on, I assume it will store a code.
I am still running the original battery. I would be thrilled if it was only the battery. I was thinking it would be something with the charging system, but maybe I am overlooking it just being the battery. I was not aware the parts stores would test the alternator. I appreciate that advice! I will go have the battery and alternator tested.

NightRam20

Reaction score
Just went and had the battery and alternator tested and both tested good. Now I guess I will head down the pulley route. It never stays long enough to get it to a dealer, but might have them look anyway.

For what’s it’s worth, I checked for loose connections, but not saying I couldn’t have missed one. Do have good continuity between ground and engine block (0.2 ohms). Belt visually inspects good, but I am running out of ideas.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Everyone! Thought I would try here for some advice. My 2020 Ram 1500 has had intermittent high voltage. Started with the battery light coming on and speakers would pop. After the first time, I started watching the battery voltage digital reading and it fluctuates between 14.2 to 14.7 volts. I have seen it go over 15v when the lights come in. I have connected a volt meter and was able to verify the sensor is reading correctly. A restart seems to clear the light, but it happens 1 or 2 times a week. I am thinking it is a voltage regulator but have researched and saw it could also be the ECM.

Does anyone have any thoughts and also does anyone know if the voltage regulator is built into the alternator?

I greatly appreciate the input!
Voltage regulator is built into the PCM. Highly doubt it's a voltage regulator issue. My guess is the battery is going bad. The voltage regulator will increase charge voltage to recharge a depleted battery, hence the high voltage reading. What your dash is displaying, when engine is running, is alternator output, not actual battery voltage. And unless the battery is removed from the vehicle, they can't do a valid load test on it

NightRam20

Reaction score
Voltage regulator is built into the PCM. Highly doubt it's a voltage regulator issue. My guess is the battery is going bad. The voltage regulator will increase charge voltage to recharge a depleted battery, hence the high voltage reading. What your dash is displaying, when engine is running, is alternator output, not actual battery voltage. And unless the battery is removed from the vehicle, they can't do a valid load test on it
Greatly appreciate the insight! Definitely thinking I might go ahead and replace the battery as it’s not going to hurt anything.

Draconicus Mechanicus

Reaction score
High voltage is one of the symptoms I saw when I had a nut fall off one of the fuse box studs, along with a charging system warning message. Check your underhood fuse box nuts, you should only have one missing right in the center, position 5. I was missing a nut on position 2, the second from the back stud.

Attachments

• RAM1500_5th_Ext_Fuse_Diag.jpg
    RAM1500_5th_Ext_Fuse_Diag.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 106

NightRam20

Reaction score
High voltage is one of the symptoms I saw when I had a nut fall off one of the fuse box studs, along with a charging system warning message. Check your underhood fuse box nuts, you should only have one missing right in the center, position 5. I was missing a nut on position 2, the second from the back stud.
Thank you so much my friend for the insight! I just checked and while the nut was still on position 2, it was definitely loose. The others were all tight as could be. We will see how it performs this week. None the less, thanks again for the guidance and sharing your knowledge!

NightRam20

Reaction score
Huge shout-out to Draconicus Mechanicus for the guidance. Tightened the nut on position 2 and have not had the high voltage for over 2 weeks now! Greatly appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread