5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HFE Towing Experiences

Addisondad51

Reaction score
Hey folks! I'm new to the group. I'm tired of racking my brain trying to determine what my Ecodiesel will tow. I have a 2021 1500 3.0L Ecodiesel with 3.21 rear end and HFE package. Does anybody have any experience with towing with this model? If so, how much have you towed and what kind of transmission temps did you see, please?

monza2t

Reaction score
Hey folks! I'm new to the group. I'm tired of racking my brain trying to determine what my Ecodiesel will tow. I have a 2021 1500 3.0L Ecodiesel with 3.21 rear end and HFE package. Does anybody have any experience with towing with this model? If so, how much have you towed and what kind of transmission temps did you see, please?

Page 68 has tow capacities for given configurations.

And HFE only came with 3.6 V6, so not sure what you mean by HFE package?

What are you trying to tow? There is more to towing than just tow capacity, like the payload you have available after you hitch up a trailer.

Addisondad51

Reaction score

Page 68 has tow capacities for given configurations.

And HFE only came with 3.6 V6, so not sure what you mean by HFE package?

What are you trying to tow? There is more to towing than just tow capacity, like the payload you have available after you hitch up a trailer.
Thanks for your reply. I'll check that out. HFE is High Fuel Efficiency. It has additions from the factory that help fuel economy. I'm confused about towing capacity because you get some many different answers. I looked it up on the Ram website towing guide. It gives me #8290. But even that has a sub note that says "when properly equipped..see dealer". Then nobody at my dealer can give me a straight answer either. I want a travel trailer and would like to know what my truck is capable of before making an obligation.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Uh oh, another towing thread. I highly suggest you read this thread, written by @devildodge. Your towing capacity will be limited by several factors. More often than not, it will be the tongue weight that limits you (due to payload limitations).

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So. For 2021 the HFE did switch from the 3.6l V6 etorque to the 3.0l V6 EcoDiesel.

The HFE gets a lower GVWR and a Lower/SAME GCWR than a similar non HFE truck.

Can you tell me what your door sticker says for GVWR.

Did you use your actual VIN at the RAM towing page

Last edited:

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So although 2021 was the year the EcoD HFE was released...it is not in literature until 2022

So it has a derated GVWR to 6990 but keeps the same 13900 GVWR. With a max tow of 8290

So your truck will be less than 8290...depending what story your payload sticker shows.

Screenshot_20220708-213827.png

Addisondad51

Reaction score
So. For 2021 the HFE did switch from the 3.6l V6 etorque to the 3.0l V6 EcoDiesel.

The HFE gets a lower GVWR and a Lower/SAME GCWR than a similar non HFE truck.

Can you tell me what your door sticker says for GVWR.

Did you use your actual VIN at the RAM towing page
Good morning! Thanks for your reply. Yes....I used the VIN number. The door sticker shows the GVWR is 6990 lbs. I have weighed my truck with no cargo, a full tank and no one in it. It's curb weight is 5300 lbs.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Good morning! Thanks for your reply. Yes....I used the VIN number. The door sticker shows the GVWR is 6990 lbs. I have weighed my truck with no cargo, a full tank and no one in it. It's curb weight is 5300 lbs.
Curious how the 5300 base weight matched to your payload number on the door jamb? How close was it to 1690?

6990 minus 5300 would be 1690 payload...which is very good.

13900 minus 5300 equals a max tow of 8600 lbs.

Now, if you read the thread that was linked this is a bogus number for a camper.

First. As you see this is without a driver or hitch.
You need both...lol

So for simple math lets say the driver weighs 200 and the WDH weighs 100. We are now down to 8300lbs

Most people take passengers and gear.

Most campers have between 12 to 15 % tongue weight.

You have to make sure the combination of passengers cargo and tongue weight do not exceed the 1690 payload(but most importantly the rear GAWR)

Your transmission temps will fall within what any other similarly equiped and loaded 1500 would.

Good luck.

Addisondad51

Reaction score
Curious how the 5300 base weight matched to your payload number on the door jamb? How close was it to 1690?

6990 minus 5300 would be 1690 payload...which is very good.

13900 minus 5300 equals a max tow of 8600 lbs.

Now, if you read the thread that was linked this is a bogus number for a camper.

First. As you see this is without a driver or hitch.
You need both...lol

So for simple math lets say the driver weighs 200 and the WDH weighs 100. We are now down to 8300lbs

Most people take passengers and gear.

Most campers have between 12 to 15 % tongue weight.

You have to make sure the combination of passengers cargo and tongue weight do not exceed the 1690 payload(but most importantly the rear GAWR)

Your transmission temps will fall within what any other similarly equiped and loaded 1500 would.

Good luck.
Thanks! Yeah what's funny is that my door jamb sticker doesn't have payload capacity. The Ram website quotes #1747 for my truck which is very close to what I calculated. It does however give me a GAWR Rear axle number of #4100.
So now I'm curious....you mentioned #13900 in your comment. Where does that number come from?
I also learned today (after climbing under my truck) that it has a transmission heater and transmission cooler. I had to take a picture of the part number on the heater and look it up. Not sure if that is standard equipment for all 1500's or if it's another feature if the HFE (High Fuel Efficiency) package because this HFE package also heats the differential lube. All for maximum fuel economy.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks! Yeah what's funny is that my door jamb sticker doesn't have payload capacity. The Ram website quotes #1747 for my truck which is very close to what I calculated. It does however give me a GAWR Rear axle number of #4100.
So now I'm curious....you mentioned #13900 in your comment. Where does that number come from?
I also learned today (after climbing under my truck) that it has a transmission heater and transmission cooler. I had to take a picture of the part number on the heater and look it up. Not sure if that is standard equipment for all 1500's or if it's another feature if the HFE (High Fuel Efficiency) package because this HFE package also heats the differential lube. All for maximum fuel economy.
Picture of door jamb sticker or vin will give all the info.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Do you have a list of all the hfe features/components?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
13900 is the GCWR. It is the only rating that is not in your door jamb. It is from the towing chart. I showed a screen shot above.

You should have 2 stickers in your door jamb. One that has your GVWR and GAWR... Which you found

And then a tire and loading sticker. That has your tire size and pressures. And a payload listed on it.

Addisondad51

Reaction score
13900 is the GCWR. It is the only rating that is not in your door jamb. It is from the towing chart. I showed a screen shot above.

You should have 2 stickers in your door jamb. One that has your GVWR and GAWR... Which you found

And then a tire and loading sticker. That has your tire size and pressures. And a payload listed on it.
10-4..... thanks for the info!

Users who are viewing this thread