5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hesitation off the line when trans/engine is cold - anyone else?

Lil'Mike

Reaction score
Just a follow-up. After taking out 1/3 to 1/2 quart of transmission fluid the truck is driving and shifting like a top. It took a couple days, but the truck will now shift into 8th and hold 8th on the highway, in cabin vibrations are reduced and no more bump/clunk on downshifts and surging when the truck is cold in the AM. Couldn’t be happier.

I think my first mistake was taking out fluid when the engine was not running (which is why it came out so fast), but after my 2nd attempt with the engine running I confirmed levels and all is good.

popcenator

Reaction score
Just a follow-up. After taking out 1/3 to 1/2 quart of transmission fluid the truck is driving and shifting like a top. It took a couple days, but the truck will now shift into 8th and hold 8th on the highway, in cabin vibrations are reduced and no more bump/clunk on downshifts and surging when the truck is cold in the AM. Couldn’t be happier.

I think my first mistake was taking out fluid when the engine was not running (which is why it came out so fast), but after my 2nd attempt with the engine running I confirmed levels and all is good.
Just checking in to see if it's still shifting alright.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Lil'Mike

Reaction score
Yeah it was better, but not sure if it’s worth the trouble - selling the truck at the moment. Got a HEMI Big Horn - should have done that from the start. It shifts no problem....

popcenator

Reaction score
Yeah it was better, but not sure if it’s worth the trouble - selling the truck at the moment. Got a HEMI Big Horn - should have done that from the start. It shifts no problem....
I just went through the ridiculous procedure and ended up draining a little over half a quart myself. I'll see how it shifts the next few days. I'll probably check it again tomorrow.

Good luck with the new truck, I didn't notice my truck shifting weird at first either. That happened later.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

EddieLee79

Reaction score
My truck (2020 Limited with 7,000 miles) does the exact same thing and I am about to schedule an appointment to get it looked at. Everyone morning (hot or cold) the truck seems to loose power and shift from 1-2 2-3 in an unsteady manner. Its very disheartening since you could not even fell the truck shift when it was brand new it was that good.

Walter P Chrysler

Reaction score
Many thanks to TBMSport for all of the actionable advice, I suspect you've saved RAM more than a few conversions to other brands. To the Ram Cares folks: you appear disinterested and unprofessional by not responding to TBMSports. I spent a decade in an executive role at BMW in their US headquarters, and I can tell you that ALL manufacturers know that the dealership experience is key to new car/truck sales, and the service experience is key to retention. Here you have people crawling under their new trucks to avoid going to the dealer - that's a huge RED FLAG!

I have a 2020 1500 4x4 Limited, eTorque, my third Ram truck. It's beautiful, maximum steel with the Blue and off-white interior. I use it to go to Home Depot, the plant nursery, to haul parts for my classic cars, and for trips to the ranch. I have all of the issues discussed here and I am so displeased with this 10K mile, $74,000 truck, that I avoid driving it! I have not taken it to the dealer because when some fool's only reply is "it ain't throwin' no codes" I'll be so angry I know I'll just throw them the keys and let the legal battle begin. Plenty of evidence right here to support my claim.

PS to the Ram Cares folks: TBMSport's throttle pedal remedy #2 works like a charm and my trans was over-full according to specs as well. You'd be better off to do a service campaign on these trucks to recalibrate both issues than continuing to ignore the facts and dissatisfying your heretofore loyal base.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Really sorry for your troubles. What did tbm sports say?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Can someone send me a link to a video or where the bolt is for the tranny?
I want to check mine also, I believe temp around 90 degrees and engine on then remove the bolt?

I just find videos for older years\classic not 2019+

shonole

Reaction score
Can someone send me a link to a video or where the bolt is for the tranny?
I want to check mine also, I believe temp around 90 degrees and engine on then remove the bolt?

I just find videos for older years\classic not 2019+

Ever find a good one?

Diegelbruce

Reaction score
We picked up our 2019 Ram 1500 Hemi almost exactly a year ago.

Once the weather started cooling down I noticed that it has a pretty significant hesitation, or pause, or even a hiccup when pulling away from a dead stop when the power train is cold.
My wife drives the truck most days, so I didn't notice this right off the bat, but it is very consistent. If I start the truck in my driveway, and pull down the block to the slightly uphill stop sign, the thing will start to roll a bit when I start to pull away, then fall on its face, and eventually recover. I'm not sure if it feels like a torque converter or clutch issue in the trans, or like some goofy throttle programming going on.

If I put it in tow/haul mode it does it to a much lower extent, and once the trans was warmed up over 100 it was nearly non-existent. I initially thought it was related to cold weather when I brought it in the first time, but I'm bringing it in again today for the same issue during the dead of summer.

When I brought it in last fall they started with a power train module flash, that I think was related to the acceleration "bump" that folks were reporting last year.
When I had it in a few weeks ago the tech confirmed that it was happening, checked that the software was up to date, and told me he could not do much about it beyond recalibrating the throttle pedal and throttle body, which he did. He did mention that there is not a check valve in the torque converter for this trans, and it can drain out fluid when shut off (which I'm not totally sure I buy - this is a super common and well regarded transmission).

Anyone else experience this, and have any luck finding a culprit?
I actually got a phone call from Ram Customer Care today asking if I had issues, because they noticed it had been in several times for this issue.

Thanks all.,
Yes I have a 2020 and it does it have you got any answers

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yes I have a 2020 and it does it have you got any answers
Hi there,

We're sorry to hear you are currently dealing with a vehicle concern. We recommend getting an appointment in place with your local Ram dealer for diagnosis. If you choose to go that route and need any additional support, please feel free to reach out to our team via private message at that time.

Lex
Ram Cares

MarkD

Reaction score
I have owned a '20 1500 for about two "miserable" years and 20k miles. It has been in twice and I've gotten the same response from the techs. It shifts fine. ...another time I was told that "it shifts like a truck". I asked the kid (I'm 54) if he owns "a truck". He sheepishly said no. This thing shifts like a 16 year old learning how to drive a manual transmission. This thing thinks that it is in a sport mode and likes to rev up and then shift. ...and the torque converter doesn't unlock until about 12 mph. ...downshifting also sucks. Everyone (like TFL on youtube) talks about the ZF trans like they are smooth and quick shifting (that alone garners a laugh from me) I have test driven a couple of other 1500's over time. They do it also. I do question if it is a matter of poor programming of the ECM. If I drive it like I stole it... It does shift somewhat normally. But with kids in the truck, that's not an option.

...as I've been told that the fluid level is in spec. My next move is to try a pedal commander. Maybe this will mask the issue enough. ...$300 is cheaper than the price of a new truck.

Mark

As a side-note... I've contemplated the godzilla motor, but I can't stand the Ford '90's interior!

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have owned a '20 1500 for about two "miserable" years and 20k miles. It has been in twice and I've gotten the same response from the techs. It shifts fine. ...another time I was told that "it shifts like a truck". I asked the kid (I'm 54) if he owns "a truck". He sheepishly said no. This thing shifts like a 16 year old learning how to drive a manual transmission. This thing thinks that it is in a sport mode and likes to rev up and then shift. ...and the torque converter doesn't unlock until about 12 mph. ...downshifting also sucks. Everyone (like TFL on youtube) talks about the ZF trans like they are smooth and quick shifting (that alone garners a laugh from me) I have test driven a couple of other 1500's over time. They do it also. I do question if it is a matter of poor programming of the ECM. If I drive it like I stole it... It does shift somewhat normally. But with kids in the truck, that's not an option.

...as I've been told that the fluid level is in spec. My next move is to try a pedal commander. Maybe this will mask the issue enough. ...$300 is cheaper than the price of a new truck.

Mark

As a side-note... I've contemplated the godzilla motor, but I can't stand the Ford '90's interior!
Just finished reading another post, like others I have read, about Pedal Commanders causing all sorts of issues. Throwing codes service ABS, service throttle body, service something else. I just red it quick and basically ignored it since I saw so many threads similar.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Mark

"shifts like a 16 year old learning how to drive a manual transmission"
I seriously doubt that, and have no idea what you're trying to say. Grinding gears? Stalling the engine?

"likes to rev up and then shift"
Yes, that's generally what it's supposed to so. Or did you mean something else? If so, express it clearly.

"torque converter doesn't unlock until about 12 mph"
I assume you are now talking about slowing down, although you didn't say, but what don't you like about it? Do you think it should unlock sooner? Later? What speed would be good for you?

"downshifting also sucks"
Yeah, "sucks" is pretty unclear. Do you want it to downshift sooner? Later? Never? Harsher? Gentler? Give someone a clue.

"They do it also"
Do what also? One or more of the above things that you didn't explain at all clearly? If so which one(s)?

"If I drive it like I stole it... It does shift somewhat normally"
So what are we supposed to make of that? Maybe what you think is like you stole it is really almost normal for the rest of us, and what you think should be normal is just barely pushing on the pedal and wondering why it won't go.

"My next move is to try a pedal commander"
I don't see why you think that might help if you've already decided the problem is the transmission. I guess it is adjustable. Maybe it will make it run like you stole it all the time.

"As a side-note... I've contemplated the godzilla motor"
Thought you had kids in the truck and driving like you stole it wasn't an option.

So I try not to go off on people, but I'm actually having trouble figuring out what's making you "miserable". If the description you're giving the dealer is as clear as what you posted here, I can understand why the techs would just throw up their hands.

I can tell you that mine is pretty smooth. I think it has about three more gears than it needs, and sometimes wish I had more manual control over what gear it uses, but those are first world problems, right?

I can also tell you that the transmission tries to "learn" and adapt its shifts to conditions and input from the driver. So if you are a very erratic driver, you may be teaching it bad habits. I've heard it's possible for the dealer to clear the transmission's learned timing tables and make it re-learn everything from scratch. Maybe something like that would help you(?)

Bob.

Reaction score
With my 2021, if I don't do a dead stop at a stop sign, I think the truck's tranny is in 2nd, then as I drove away from the stop sign it shifts to first, causing the slight lag. I'm normally cold and puttering around town, so I don't think much about it.

To check the oil, go for a drive, let it cool to temp in the video. Then fire it up, then pull the plug, If it drips a little let it, then your fluid is filled correctly.
That tranny fluid is $$$$$.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread