5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here's a new one - key fob not detected

ziggy30907

Reaction score
I have same issue with ram 3500 took to dealer they say the aftermarket radio is interfering with key fobs.
But the fobs work with no problem when sitting inside the truck the fobs unlocked my truck from inside my home but not anymore.
I have to be standing on either side of the truck and hold the fob up to get the doors to unlock or lock.
But inside the truck the fob locks and unlocks the doors.
Don't see how it can be radio interface if the fob works inside the truck.
Any suggestions?

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have same issue with ram 3500 took to dealer they say the aftermarket radio is interfering with key fobs.
But the fobs work with no problem when sitting inside the truck the fobs unlocked my truck from inside my home but not anymore.
I have to be standing on either side of the truck and hold the fob up to get the doors to unlock or lock.
But inside the truck the fob locks and unlocks the doors.
Don't see how it can be radio interface if the fob works inside the truck.
Any suggestions?
First off, this forum isn't about your kind of truck, it's for DTs. It's like asking about a Ford pickup. But try disconnecting the radio, and see if it makes a difference. Some radios could have waves searching for accessories.

CleverGorilla

Reaction score
2019 3500. The problem with the key is the battery is not touching the leads properly. Open up the FOB. There are four leads that touch the negative side and two that touch the side of the battery for the positive side. The two positive terminals slide off the side of the battery and breaks the circuit. You have to remove the battery and slide the battery almost like you are trying to go under the positive leads. There is o-ring seal that is attached to the case of the FOB that should keep the battery in place. Took a couple of tries because the battery kept slipping off of the positive contacts but once you get it you will be good for a while. I put a small folded piece of paper on the top of the battery closest to the positive terminals to keep the battery seated. You can test the lock/unlock button before you try to put the FOB back together to make sure you have good contact.

Attachments

• 2E1BDBA7-FF91-46EB-81FC-8F310382C8A4.jpeg
    2E1BDBA7-FF91-46EB-81FC-8F310382C8A4.jpeg
    190.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

m.hamner

Reaction score
I am having same issue with my 2019 Ram 2500 6.7L HD with 12k miles. I can remote start truck, passive door unlock works, but when I get in the truck and press the brake pedal and start button it dies and say key FOB not detected. Pressing FOB to start button not working. Replaced battery in FOB twice and same issue. Took it to dealer and they say they cannot get it to fail.
I have owned the truck for 2 months and have not made any bulb changes. I did install a wireless cell phone charging cradle
Hey! Same situation here and I recently installed a wireless MagSafe charging cradle. Did you ever figure yours out?

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2019 3500. The problem with the key is the battery is not touching the leads properly. Open up the FOB. There are four leads that touch the negative side and two that touch the side of the battery for the positive side. The two positive terminals slide off the side of the battery and breaks the circuit. You have to remove the battery and slide the battery almost like you are trying to go under the positive leads. There is o-ring seal that is attached to the case of the FOB that should keep the battery in place. Took a couple of tries because the battery kept slipping off of the positive contacts but once you get it you will be good for a while. I put a small folded piece of paper on the top of the battery closest to the positive terminals to keep the battery seated. You can test the lock/unlock button before you try to put the FOB back together to make sure you have good contact.
Works inside the truck but not outside, why would it be the battery?

m.hamner

Reaction score
Works inside the truck but not outside, why would it be the battery?
Yeah, the key fob battery is really for the lock/unlock/tailgate release function. The starting function with the fob is more like a RF Key Card swipe. Don’t need active power for that. It’s all in the receiver from what I understand.

Users who are viewing this thread