5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hemi w. No E-Torque Option is back for 2020 Limited

RiskReward

Reaction score
Uh I was told and read on this forum that limited hemis are only ET’s for a period of time. And the build site online only let you opt for a ET hemi, never have the option for a non ET hemi, and mass amounts of inventory none of them have been none ET’s.

I have however found some here by me that are 2020’s and don’t have the ET which made me start to research.

This. 2020 eliminated the CD Player and Non-eT Options. They’ve brought one back. Maybe next is the CD, then maybe the Cassette!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ya I wouldn’t be towing anymore either. This would be my 2500 and fifth wheel replacement. I get why you avoided it , But that’s nice to hear that now you’d get it.

I know first years are risky, and new tech in a first year is riskier. So I don’t blame you. Would’ve done same thing. Haha. But seems since this system has been out some time now that it’s been pretty solid! I agree some improvement is better than none. Just wasn’t sure if the 1-2 was worth the possible headache but members hear told me it’s pretty solid and that start stop is awesome compared to other cars, and that it’s covered under a solid warranty.

Nice change up! Prius to a Ram!
emoji16.png
thank you sir!
Its her truck, literally... surprised me when she said she wanted one (she liked the F150 so not a new idea). So we looked and thats all it took. Well, and a checkbook lol...

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Here's all you need to know about e-torque, straight from an FCA engineer. There's more to it than you may think.

Thanks for the video. Answered a couple questions of mine. I see the main benefits as being stop n go traffic gas savings and the initial 1/2 wheel turn start especially with a trailer.
If you dont tow and its primarily a highway vehicle, not really needed (my case).

vinnrox250

Reaction score
Here's all you need to know about e-torque, straight from an FCA engineer. There's more to it than you may think.

Funny you post this!! I had just watched it! There is a lot more to it for sure. Just wasn’t sure if reliability was worth the slight gas mileage bump. I won’t likely tow with it, so the extra torque may not be a benefit there for me.

Seems that the ET is pretty solid and kinks have been worked out so it’s more of an option now than it was before i posted on this forum!

Thank you sir for the video! Great info!

kthibs22

Reaction score
I was at the dealer on Saturday and asked about the battery pack for the eTorque system. The battery pack alone, just the one component will cost 2768.63 for just the part alone. I had the service department look up the part number before I ordered my 2020 Limited Truck. For me I drive my trucks until they die and drive mainly back roads and highway, so I know for me having an engine with less complexity to it was the way to go. I don't hammer on my engines, I only really hammer on it if I need that quick acceleration due to road traffic. I think with the V8 5.7L Hemi with the MDS will give me good MPG for the way I drive and the roads I drive.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I was at the dealer on Saturday and asked about the battery pack for the eTorque system. The battery pack alone, just the one component will cost 2768.63 for just the part alone. I had the service department look up the part number before I ordered my 2020 Limited Truck. For me I drive my trucks until they die and drive mainly back roads and highway, so I know for me having an engine with less complexity to it was the way to go. I don't hammer on my engines, I only really hammer on it if I need that quick acceleration due to road traffic. I think with the V8 5.7L Hemi with the MDS will give me good MPG for the way I drive and the roads I drive.
Yep, that was what made my decision back last April, that and the newness of it all. I still say it is ok now especially for towing, and maybe economy gains, but that past the (8 yr?) warranty battery and other system cost is a bit steep. It's good technology and I'm glad they are working with it, I just didn't want to be their beta-tester.

kthibs22

Reaction score
Yep, that was what made my decision back last April, that and the newness of it all. I still say it is ok now especially for towing, and maybe economy gains, but that past the (8 yr?) warranty battery and other system cost is a bit steep. It's good technology and I'm glad they are working with it, I just didn't want to be their beta-tester.
Ram has done a good job with the eTorque with its starts/stop technology in comparison to Ford and Chevy, it transitions smooth. I won't be towing so the extra torque for me is not really needed. Think for me as well with it being still so new and not really getting a full good picture yet of potential issues I decided on the regular 5.7L Hemi, both are great motors was just my personal choice.

supercanadian

Reaction score
I am not a paranoid guy by nature and don't really worry about anything but i just didn't see the need for the etorque unless i was a huge city driver in tons of stop and go traffic where the engine shut off would really help. I also didn't want my kid sitting on top of a battery pack in the back. Not that worried me in the least but was just one more reason why I opted out. I test drove two limiteds with etorque and didn't like how it felt. I also had auto start stop on my 2018 f150 and it was the first thing i did each time i got in my truck was to shut it off.

I also will be adding a few after market amplifiers in the future and wanted a simple alternator setup to work on. I had to custom order my limited to get it without it as most local that didn't have etorque were the tow mirror package types. I also wanted 3.92 gears....so ordering it was a must.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am not a paranoid guy by nature and don't really worry about anything but i just didn't see the need for the etorque unless i was a huge city driver in tons of stop and go traffic where the engine shut off would really help. I also didn't want my kid sitting on top of a battery pack in the back. Not that worried me in the least but was just one more reason why I opted out. I test drove two limiteds with etorque and didn't like how it felt. I also had auto start stop on my 2018 f150 and it was the first thing i did each time i got in my truck was to shut it off.

I also will be adding a few after market amplifiers in the future and wanted a simple alternator setup to work on. I had to custom order my limited to get it without it as most local that didn't have etorque were the tow mirror package types. I also wanted 3.92 gears....so ordering it was a must.
Totally understand your perspective, but eTorque feels completely different than a traditional stop/start system. It sounds like you gave it a chance, but many buyers have dismissed eTorque without doing so - likely due to previous experiences with inferior systems.

Bubba33

Reaction score
I have a wrangler with auto start stop. My e torque is night and day different with the starts. I monitor brake pedal pressure in both of them. It's easy to control.

Narg

Reaction score
Mine has eTorque. Wouldn't have it without it. It does a lot more than start/stop stuff, and really is not noticable after you drive it a while. You'll also save $200 or more per year on Gas with this (if you average 12K miles per year) So it will pay for itself, at least it will for me on the life of my truck. Also with the regen feature slowing the truck, you don't use the brakes as much, so it seems to me you'll have longer life on your brakes. It's a plus no matter how you look at it IMHO.

Last edited:

MrCuervoRacing

Reaction score
Mine has eTorque. Wouldn't have it without it. It does a lot more than start/stop stuff, and really is not noticable after you drive it a while. You'll also save $200 or more per year on Gas with this (if you average 12K miles per year) So it will pay for itself, at least it will for me on the life of my truck. Also with the regen feature slowing the truck, you don't use the brakes as much, so it seems to me you'll have longer life on your brakes. It's a plus no matter how you look at it IMHO.
personally I like the system, lots of up sides compared to a standard stop/start off the starter and 12v battery, but don't be fooled into thinking they did this for the customer experience or benefit cost of ownership, and lots more things to cause problem. Simplicity is always less trouble prone…..search dealer visits for etorque problems vs dealer visits for alternator problems.
basically they devised the best possible fix for a crappy situation (mpg standards and credits)

b1pig

Reaction score
Having owned a 2019 eTorque and trading it in for a 2020 NON eTorque....

Let me set some progression:
2015 1500 Hemi 2wd 3.92
traded for
2019 1500 Hemi 2wd eTorque 3.21
traded for
2020 1500 Hemi 4wd 3.92

2015- hauledballs, 20mpg per tank average when not towing
2019- hauledmegaballs, 18mpg per tank average when not towing
2020- haulsballs, 18mpg so far when not towing

The eTorque was smooth. I can NOT say that I hated it. I was not 100% pleased with it. If auto start/stop is an important thing to you, with what I've experienced I can tell you that Dodge did this right. It works. It is absolutely smooth... and dang near instant running before your foot is even fully off the brake pedal. So, why would I trade a perfectly good 2019 in on a 2020? Simple. Ram/Dodge needs to spend a little more time actually tuning the driveability. (in part.. there's alot more to why I did it.... but I won't get into it) While the restarts are smooth, the throttle application on mine was ridiculous. The initial take-up on the pedal tended to lurch from a stop. Sure if I wanted a drag race every time, I'd be on it... but no. My wife complained about it and it was her primary ride. I drove it occasionally and it was aggravating to no end. The largest annoyance is that I nearly struck the wall in my garage several times because I forgot to TURN IT OFF. When trying to ease forward in the garage, the truck would shut off, then restart and jump forward an inch before I planted my foot to the floor again. I never hit my wall, but that was an uncomfortable feeling. One of those instances when adding 1/2 a second to the run time before the computer shuts the engine down would have been a wonderful thing. 1/2 a second of run time is not going to save the planet.

The 2020 has been everything the 2019 couldn't have been... everything my 2015 HAD been and then more. There are NO driveability issues. NO complaints with the throttle management. NO complaints on the ride and drive (yes, i believe Ram improved the 2020 over the 2019) and while the gas mileage is no better than the 2019, I now have the added weight (and parasitic drag) of the 4wd system. It also still has less than 800 miles on it, so time will tell. The fuel economy on our 2015 improved after a couple thousand miles, so I expect this one to as well. The 2019 had 11,000 miles on it when we traded it in. The mileage never got any better than 19. The eTorque is not the end-all answer to our atmosphere.... but compared to others systems out there, its pretty good. These are just my thoughts on having three relatively similar trucks.

Bubba33

Reaction score
Having owned a 2019 eTorque and trading it in for a 2020 NON eTorque....

Let me set some progression:
2015 1500 Hemi 2wd 3.92
traded for
2019 1500 Hemi 2wd eTorque 3.21
traded for
2020 1500 Hemi 4wd 3.92

2015- hauledballs, 20mpg per tank average when not towing
2019- hauledmegaballs, 18mpg per tank average when not towing
2020- haulsballs, 18mpg so far when not towing

The eTorque was smooth. I can NOT say that I hated it. I was not 100% pleased with it. If auto start/stop is an important thing to you, with what I've experienced I can tell you that Dodge did this right. It works. It is absolutely smooth... and dang near instant running before your foot is even fully off the brake pedal. So, why would I trade a perfectly good 2019 in on a 2020? Simple. Ram/Dodge needs to spend a little more time actually tuning the driveability. (in part.. there's alot more to why I did it.... but I won't get into it) While the restarts are smooth, the throttle application on mine was ridiculous. The initial take-up on the pedal tended to lurch from a stop. Sure if I wanted a drag race every time, I'd be on it... but no. My wife complained about it and it was her primary ride. I drove it occasionally and it was aggravating to no end. The largest annoyance is that I nearly struck the wall in my garage several times because I forgot to TURN IT OFF. When trying to ease forward in the garage, the truck would shut off, then restart and jump forward an inch before I planted my foot to the floor again. I never hit my wall, but that was an uncomfortable feeling. One of those instances when adding 1/2 a second to the run time before the computer shuts the engine down would have been a wonderful thing. 1/2 a second of run time is not going to save the planet.

The 2020 has been everything the 2019 couldn't have been... everything my 2015 HAD been and then more. There are NO driveability issues. NO complaints with the throttle management. NO complaints on the ride and drive (yes, i believe Ram improved the 2020 over the 2019) and while the gas mileage is no better than the 2019, I now have the added weight (and parasitic drag) of the 4wd system. It also still has less than 800 miles on it, so time will tell. The fuel economy on our 2015 improved after a couple thousand miles, so I expect this one to as well. The 2019 had 11,000 miles on it when we traded it in. The mileage never got any better than 19. The eTorque is not the end-all answer to our atmosphere.... but compared to others systems out there, its pretty good. These are just my thoughts on having three relatively similar trucks.
I don't see how any of the things you are saying would be better in a 20 vs a 19. Without some physical changes. Or software updates. They haven't made a dodge truck in awhile.

b1pig

Reaction score
I don't see how any of the things you are saying would be better in a 20 vs a 19. Without some physical changes. Or software updates. They haven't made a dodge truck in awhile.

You can make any assumption you like. 11,000 miles of ownership and owning numerous Mopars, I assure you that there was a significant difference between these two trucks. Yes, I am sure that a lot of it is likely crappy programming. The 2019 was the first year of a new model... which anyone with any experience will confirm ... its always the best to avoid. Believe me, my 07 JK had 9 dealership visits in the first year. Once all the bugs were ironed out, it's been a great and mostly trusty vehicle.

Physical differences.... 2019 was eTorque. my 2020 is not. 2019 had the 3.2x gearing. my 2020 has the 3.92.

Programming? I'm sure its different due to the lack of the eTorque system.

I've rewrote this like three times mainly because I really don't want to come across like I'm trying to argue or anything. There is just an absolute difference between the way the 2019 truck I owned for 11,000 miles acted and both the 2015 I owned for over 40,000 miles and this 2020 that I've had for just a few weeks. This isn't something that I drove once and hated.... its something that was a constant the entire time I had it.

Bubba33

Reaction score
That's awesome, glad your happy, like idaud there hasny
You can make any assumption you like. 11,000 miles of ownership and owning numerous Mopars, I assure you that there was a significant difference between these two trucks. Yes, I am sure that a lot of it is likely crappy programming. The 2019 was the first year of a new model... which anyone with any experience will confirm ... its always hasbest to avoid. Believe me, my 07 JK had 9 dealership visits in the first year. Once all the bugs were ironed out, it's been a great and mostly trusty vehicle.

Physical differences.... 2019 was eTorque. my 2020 is not. 2019 had the 3.2x gearing. my 2020 has the 3.92.

I've rewrote this like three times mainly because I really don't want to come across like I'm trying to argue or anything. There is just an absolute difference between the way the 2019 truck I owned for 11,000 miles acted and both the 2015 I owned for over 40,000 miles and this 2020 that I've had for just a few weeks. This isn't something that I drove once and hated.... its something that was a constant the entire time I had it.
t
You can make any assumption you like. 11,000 miles of ownership and owning numerous Mopars, I assure you that there was a significant difference between these two trucks. Yes, I am sure that a lot of it is likely crappy programming. The 2019 was the first year of a new model... which anyone with any experience will confirm ... its always the best to avoid. Believe me, my 07 JK had 9 dealership visits in the first year. Once all the bugs were ironed out, it's been a great and mostly trusty vehicle.

That's awesome that you like it . Still there has been no significate changes from the 19 to the 20. Plus you went from a 2wd to a 4 wd with different gears. I went from a 16 Laramie 4wd to a 19 laramie 4wd same gears and 6.4 bed. The 19 with etorque is way nicer at everything over the 16. Oh my Mopar experience 14 ram 16 ram and 19 ram, and 03 dodge with a Cummins. I have another first year 18 wrangler JL. 19 is no real difference.

b1pig

Reaction score
Didn't realize this was a competition of whose Mopar list is the longest.... I was just relating the three trucks, as I felt it was material.

82 Rampage (1st Dodge that was mine)
96 Cherokee
96 Caravan
97Grand Voyager
98 Grand Cherokee 2wd, I converted to 4wd, 5.5" lift, 33's, snorkel..... before modding the ZJ became "popular"
2007 JKU Rubicon. I love it. Its rubish. but I love it.
2010 Challenger SE
2011 Journey Crew
2012 Grand Caravan Crew
2015 Ram 1500 Longhorn 2wd
2015 Challenger SXT
2018 Chrysler 300
2019 Ram 1500 2wd
2020 Ram 1500 4wd

I won't bother with the non-Mopar list.

I'm sure someone's list is longer than mine, which was never the point. It's perspective. Like I've said. My experience was with MY truck, which as you pointed out isn't set up like yours. Or. Not yours.

While there may have been no "significant" changes, a software or file change is not significant in any way. Maybe the next owner will like it's ridiculous and unpredictable tendency.... maybe like having that annoying friend that likes to hide behind doors and scare you as you walk by?...

Users who are viewing this thread