5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hemi w. No E-Torque Option is back for 2020 Limited

vinnrox250

Reaction score
Hello All!

First of all this forum has been such a great asset and I appreciate the knowledge here.

So I am in the pre-lim research stages of shopping for a Ram 1500 Limited Black Appearance Group loaded. As such I have been building them online and looking locally and I stumbled upon this.

Evidently, you can now get the Limited with a Hemi and WITHOUT the E-Torque option if one desires. May be old news, but figured I would share. Could not find anything similar to this on the search function.

I have seen people that love their E-Torques and people that say they don't want the extra new, possibly troublesome down the road tech. I have been told to drive both and make my decision. So I will have to do that. E-Torque doesn't seem to give a significant enough bump to the already meh gas mileage, but seems to be great for towing.

At any-rate, it is nice to have the option of engine choice again, like there was back for the 2019 MY. Hemi.JPG

hutchman

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Limited without E-torque. Didn't realize it was anything special. I didn't want to spend the extra bucks!

vinnrox250

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Limited without E-torque. Didn't realize it was anything special. I didn't want to spend the extra bucks!

Yes, I think the E-Torque was quite a bit more in the past. I was looking at a truck online here locally that was a limited 2020 hemi and it didn’t have ET so it made me start to search online and that’s when I noticed you can now get them without ET. For a short period if you wanted a limited and a hemi you had to get ET.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiskReward

Reaction score
Didn’t care about the eTorque but it’s what my truck has. Love the smooth stop/start, great to have extra available torque (though I admittedly don’t notice it), and mpg bump, while negligible, doesn’t hurt.

All things said I guess it really just boils down to a “neat” piece of tech with some slight benefits. Can’t really see how people could be more than indifferent about it one way or the other. Totally understand saving the cash but also can’t knock anyone who spends the extra bucks.

Of all the tech on these trucks a less-than-crucial electric motor is the last thing I’m worried about failing!

vinnrox250

Reaction score
Didn’t care about the eTorque but it’s what my truck has. Love the smooth stop/start, great to have extra available torque (though I admittedly don’t notice it), and mpg bump, while negligible, doesn’t hurt.

All things said I guess it really just boils down to a “neat” piece of tech with some slight benefits. Can’t really see how people could be more than indifferent about it one way or the other. Totally understand saving the cash but also can’t knock anyone who spends the extra bucks.

Of all the tech on these trucks a less-than-crucial electric motor is the last thing I’m worried about failing!

Ya I have heard some good stuff on the e torque here recently, so I’m like if I can find a truck on the lot with it or without it, I don’t care. Cost wise, it’s a few hundred now, so it’s not too bad anymore. If I order I am not sure. Everyone tells me drive both. If the ET is as smooth as everyone says for the start stop I will likely get it. I hate it in my Grand Cherokee High Altitude. But I get it’s a standard alternator.

I think it is a neat piece of tech and seems most of the kinks have been worked out, but some don’t want to take the gamble on the tech, but like you said last thing to worry about failing, but for people who keep trucks long term, the battery is something that will likely need to be replaced.

If I can get 4-5 more mpg with it, I’d probably go ET. But I don’t think that’s the case. I don’t think the extra torque is really noticeable unless you tow?..

RiskReward

Reaction score
Ya I have heard some good stuff on the e torque here recently, so I’m like if I can find a truck on the lot with it or without it, I don’t care. Cost wise, it’s a few hundred now, so it’s not too bad anymore. If I order I am not sure. Everyone tells me drive both. If the ET is as smooth as everyone says for the start stop I will likely get it. I hate it in my Grand Cherokee High Altitude. But I get it’s a standard alternator.

I think it is a neat piece of tech and seems most of the kinks have been worked out, but some don’t want to take the gamble on the tech, but like you said last thing to worry about failing, but for people who keep trucks long term, the battery is something that will likely need to be replaced.

If I can get 4-5 more mpg with it, I’d probably go ET. But I don’t think that’s the case. I don’t think the extra torque is really noticeable unless you tow?..

Yeah wondering how long the batteries will last. Hybrids get a good amount of life from theirs and those are doing a lot more than ET.

Start/Stop is really smooth. Most people I talk to hate it, it’s different in these ET trucks.

No way you’re going to get more than maybe 1 mpg. I just don’t see it but I could be way wrong. Also believe you’re probably right about not noticing the torque unless you tow. My buddy doesn’t have ET and trucks feel the same - again, not towing.

vinnrox250

Reaction score
Yeah wondering how long the batteries will last. Hybrids get a good amount of life from theirs and those are doing a lot more than ET.

Start/Stop is really smooth. Most people I talk to hate it, it’s different in these ET trucks.

No way you’re going to get more than maybe 1 mpg. I just don’t see it but I could be way wrong. Also believe you’re probably right about not noticing the torque unless you tow. My buddy doesn’t have ET and trucks feel the same - again, not towing.

Ya from the limited knowledge I know in hybrids, I think you can for sure get some life out of these. But it’s still so new, hard to gauge. And they say the battery is charged from acceleration and brake regen and the truck isn’t using it nearly as much as a hybrid.

That’s awesome to hear, I hate it in my cars I’ve been in with it. S Class, 7 series, my Jeep, etc. but this is different so may be something I don’t turn off immediately lol.

Ya I think you’ll notice it most when you tow and ya their gas mileage figures are way off for these trucks. I get it’s a v8 but dang. I think combined you should get 3 more mpg’s with the ET. Based on the sticker that lies haha.

Thank you for the solid info! How’s mpg vary from you and your friend? I get different people and driving manners, etc but curious if any variance.

RiskReward

Reaction score
Unfortunately he drives almost entirely city, I’m almost entirely highway. I’m not quite to 17mpg on the odometer but every time my wife drives (full day on the weekend every so often) she puts it into the high 14s so my truck is a terrible gauge for comparison!

I did just install a Pedal Commander and the gauge definitely acts different as respects the “current MPG” which looks to effect the total MPG (positively).

vinnrox250

Reaction score
Unfortunately he drives almost entirely city, I’m almost entirely highway. I’m not quite to 17mpg on the odometer but every time my wife drives (full day on the weekend every so often) she puts it into the high 14s so my truck is a terrible gauge for comparison!

I did just install a Pedal Commander and the gauge definitely acts different as respects the “current MPG” which looks to effect the total MPG (positively).

Ah no worries. That’s not awful for highway mpg’s. I’m mixed so I’m willing to bet I’d land between your wife’s 14 and your 17 lol. At least she’s putting it through it’s paces! Haha.

Hmm. Ya that is something I have heard about, may have to look into when I pull trigger on this truck later this year. Currently in a 2500 limited and may get out end of year, give em more time to work on the leaks and AC on these 1500’s. Texas and weak ac suck. My 16 Laramie 2500 had it and that truck didn’t last long lol.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Keep in mind that eTorque is covered under the 8/80 emissions warranty...a little peace of mind if you need it.

RiskReward

Reaction score
Ah no worries. That’s not awful for highway mpg’s. I’m mixed so I’m willing to bet I’d land between your wife’s 14 and your 17 lol. At least she’s putting it through it’s paces! Haha.

Hmm. Ya that is something I have heard about, may have to look into when I pull trigger on this truck later this year. Currently in a 2500 limited and may get out end of year, give em more time to work on the leaks and AC on these 1500’s. Texas and weak ac suck. My 16 Laramie 2500 had it and that truck didn’t last long lol.

I’m in Fort Worth but haven’t endured more than 80 degrees so not sure where the AC will stand with the 2020. Hoping they made adjustments for the new model but won’t know until ambient temp is at least in the 90s.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Like others have said, et only is a 1-2 mpg economy gain, at least the 19’ et owners say.
I avoided it on my ltd due to reading early buyers issues but now I’d buy it.

I don’t tow anymore but it would give an advantage there. Maybe for low speed city drives as well.
Its nothing like a true hybrid but is some improvement (I had a Prius).

vinnrox250

Reaction score
Keep in mind that eTorque is covered under the 8/80 emissions warranty...a little peace of mind if you need it.

Did not know that! Sold. I haven’t made it far in my search, but had read something on another site stating they didn’t think it was. And that the battery pack is $1575.00 and starter generator is $1330.00.

It’s nice they brought back the option to get a basic hemi if one wanted. I know many didn’t like that.

But seems to me like ET would be a win-win when covered under the 8/80.

Thanks again for the solid info man!

vinnrox250

Reaction score
I’m in Fort Worth but haven’t endured more than 80 degrees so not sure where the AC will stand with the 2020. Hoping they made adjustments for the new model but won’t know until ambient temp is at least in the 90s.

Same here man! And ya, I think they will have to do something, but haven’t heard any rumors that they will. Just that it’s “functioning as designed”.

vinnrox250

Reaction score
Like others have said, et only is a 1-2 mpg economy gain, at least the 19’ et owners say.
I avoided it on my ltd due to reading early buyers issues but now I’d buy it.

I don’t tow anymore but it would give an advantage there. Maybe for low speed city drives as well.
Its nothing like a true hybrid but is some improvement (I had a Prius).

Ya I wouldn’t be towing anymore either. This would be my 2500 and fifth wheel replacement. I get why you avoided it , But that’s nice to hear that now you’d get it.

I know first years are risky, and new tech in a first year is riskier. So I don’t blame you. Would’ve done same thing. Haha. But seems since this system has been out some time now that it’s been pretty solid! I agree some improvement is better than none. Just wasn’t sure if the 1-2 was worth the possible headache but members hear told me it’s pretty solid and that start stop is awesome compared to other cars, and that it’s covered under a solid warranty.

Nice change up! Prius to a Ram! thank you sir!

LincolnSixAlpha

Reaction score
Personally I sought out a vehicle without E-Torque as I had no interest in any additional nonsense to worry about, but it seems that there's more than a few people here that are quite happy with the system, so I say more power to you. That said, when I purchased my 2018 JL Rubi a few years back, it seemed that the regular v6 models including everything on the lot, or in transit to the dealers were all 4 banger eTorque equipped models. I ended up finding the v6 model but my suspicions are that this eTorque system helps FCA meet some sort of government-regulated MPG numbers across their whole fleet. It felt to me at times where production just gets in a mode where all they are cranking out are eTorque equipped vehicles, then they back off a bit and produce regular motors without eTorque. Anyhow, just my suspicions.

On a related note, a year after the new JL came out, they also came out with the new hurricane 4 banger, and all of those were eTorque as mentioned above, Including the Rubicons. However, for the 2020 models, they removed the eTorque system from the Rubi's because those systems were proving unreliable in offroad conditions. Though I've not been keeping up with everything FCA these days.

RiskReward

Reaction score
Same here man! And ya, I think they will have to do something, but haven’t heard any rumors that they will. Just that it’s “functioning as designed”.

Which is, by all accounts, poorly. We’ll see if there’s a change in these 2020s, otherwise I’ll have the Harbor Freight Clamp on the ready.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Evidently, you can now get the Limited with a Hemi and WITHOUT the E-Torque option if one desires. May be old news, but figured I would share. Could not find anything similar to this on the search function.
You always could get a HEMI without eTorque so not sure where you were getting your information from.

DakotaRam

Reaction score
You always could get a HEMI without eTorque so not sure where you were getting your information from.
the 2020 build site wouldn’t give you the option for the limiteds until lately. Even if you search the inventory for non torque hemi limiteds, they don’t show up, at least in my tri state area.

vinnrox250

Reaction score

Uh I was told and read on this forum that limited hemis are only ET’s for a period of time. And the build site online only let you opt for a ET hemi, never have the option for a non ET hemi, and mass amounts of inventory none of them have been none ET’s.

I have however found some here by me that are 2020’s and don’t have the ET which made me start to research.

Users who are viewing this thread