5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hemi vs hemi vs hemi vs hemi etc...

BadTrooper_345

Reaction score
if this has been discussed then im sorry im sure ill get pointed in the right direction, is it the exhaust that make the hemi sound diffrent? im talking durango, charger, challenger, 1500? now i know the new tow and go durango has all the tweeks from the srt model, exhaust, brembros and few electronics, but all the same they all run the 345 hemi? are the tuned diffrent? just wondering thansk for the answeres

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
if this has been discussed then im sorry im sure ill get pointed in the right direction, is it the exhaust that make the hemi sound diffrent? im talking durango, charger, challenger, 1500? now i know the new tow and go durango has all the tweeks from the srt model, exhaust, brembros and few electronics, but all the same they all run the 345 hemi? are the tuned diffrent? just wondering thansk for the answeres
They are mostly tuned different due to packaging.

Which would be cooling capacity and exhaust routing. And RPM redline.

The truck has the most powerful tune. Then the challenger then charger then Durango. Although I have not checked the specifics on the tow n go.

The HeavyDuty 5.7l was the least power(they have dropped it in the HD) due to duty cycle.

Lufty

Banned
Reaction score
The truck 5.7 hemi (1500) has a dual runner intake manifold that doesn’t fit under the hood of a Challenger or Durango and the Jeeps. When the Ram switches from long runners to short runners via a flap in the intake at about 4000 rpms you the get the extra hp on top. Also the room the vehicles has for the intake tracts and exhausts varies. Our Ram 5.7 is 395hp vs our Jeep 5.7 is 360hp.

Last edited:

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It’s like that with gm and ford as well.

The same engine used in the trucks sounds different in the cars.

The manifold, exhaust routing, tune, intake, all adds up to a different sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BadTrooper_345

Reaction score
Thanks for the answers, I know the new GT model has exhaust setup like the TRX? They should at least throw on the Brembro, and slap the R/T badge on ? Don’t ever remember the ram having GT? Anyway I’ll make my own!!! Lol

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the answers, I know the new GT model has exhaust setup like the TRX? They should at least throw on the Brembro, and slap the R/T badge on ? Don’t ever remember the ram having GT? Anyway I’ll make my own!!! Lol

The G/T exhaust is different from the TRX and no brembos on any of the current trucks. There is a company that makes a big brake upgrade kit but its a couple thousand dollars just for the front.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The truck 5.7 hemi (1500) has a dual runner intake manifold that doesn’t fit under the hood of a Challenger or Durango and the Jeeps. When the Ram switches from long runners to short runners via a flap in the intake at about 4000 rpms you the get the extra hp on top. Also the room the vehicles has for the intake tracts and exhausts varies. Our Ram 5.7 is 395hp vs our Jeep 5.7 is 360hp.
I thought the 6.4 challengers/chargers also had a dual runner?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I thought the 6.4 challengers/chargers also had a dual runner?
They very well may...but we were discussing the 5.7l. But I see what you are saying.

And just to head it off at the pass. The 6.4l in the cars is completely different than the HeftyDuty.

Lufty

Banned
Reaction score
Yes the SRT 6.4 does but not the 5.7 (Dodge/Jeep). The Ram 5.7 does have the dual runners intake and pulls air in from the top down while the Dodge/Jeep WITHOUT the dual runners intake pulls air in from the very front into the engine. The SRT 6.4 is a different block and set up different so with its dual runner intake it can pull in air in from the very front of the engine, and not top down into the engine like the Ram 5.7 does, so it fits under the hood. Not sure why they can’t convert the 5.7 dual runner intake manifold to suck from the very front and fit in the cars and suvs.???

pics
1)Jeep 5.7 NO dual runner intake
2)SRT 6.4 dual runner intake
3)Ram 5.7 dual runner intake

F69010B7-D81F-4860-82CE-63CE537058C3.jpeg DDC1DF25-B1FA-4B87-89B6-6057F0CEEC96.jpeg 7345637B-EE79-4C9D-AA6E-BD51C0FFA28D.jpeg

Last edited:

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Among others, the cams and tunes are definitely different between the cars and trucks as they have different purposes. Cars produce more hp and truck produce more tq for payload and towing capabilities.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Also depends on trim level in the cars. I k ow for sure the 2006-2008 Chargers the Daytona edition had a different exhaust than the R/T to make the Daytona sound more aggressive

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes the SRT 6.4 does but not the 5.7 (Dodge/Jeep). The Ram 5.7 does have the dual runners intake and pulls air in from the top down while the Dodge/Jeep WITHOUT the dual runners intake pulls air in from the very front into the engine. The SRT 6.4 is a different block and set up different so with its dual runner intake it can pull in air in from the very front of the engine, and not top down into the engine like the Ram 5.7 does, so it fits under the hood. Not sure why they can’t convert the 5.7 dual runner intake manifold to suck from the very front and fit in the cars and suvs.???

pics
1)Jeep 5.7 NO dual runner intake
2)SRT 6.4 dual runner intake
3)Ram 5.7 dual runner intake

View attachment 112430 View attachment 112431 View attachment 112432
Yea that's what I was getting at, not sure why they wouldn't physically be able to put a dual runner setup in the 5.7 cars/SUVs. Sure, the 6.4 is a different block but the external dimensions and interfaces are the same.

Not to derail the thread, I just had to make note of this to make sure I wasn't crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread