5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hemi Rusty Oil Pans

BrotherStyles

Reaction score
Hey everybody while under my truck replacing my sway bar bushings which turned out great. I was looking around as I really do not service my new cars. I noticed the oil pan to be in very rough shape and worse than I have ever saw on a new truck/car under 4 years old and under 100,000 kms. Who else has Had this issue with a 5th Gen ? Also did it get covered by warranty as this is clearly poor metal or just crap paint on the oil pan. Funny thing a new pan is under $300 CAD. The dealership that I spend a lot of money in service with them their manager said it can not be covered as it probably was hit by a rock and the chip caused all this rust. The only thing flawed about his comment is that the rust above the oil drain plug there is no way a rock chipped it there. Also my truck is a highway-driven truck, not a back-road machine :). Looking forward to the comments!!

image2.jpeg image3.jpeg image4.jpeg

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My ecodiesel pan looked like crap too after only two years. I wire brushed it and hit with some rust paint.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
wow thats baddly rust

dont think it will be covered but i.also dont think it should be like that after 4 years

if they dont cover will you change it? is it leaking? if not you could wirebrush clean it and put rust paint (quality one ) with a paint brush on it

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Wow! That’s crazy. Never seen that before.😲

HemiDude

Reaction score
Yikes! Is there any rust like that on other components under the truck?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My take on this. It didn't happen overnight. That much rust and corrosion on the pan has been going on for over a year and thousands of miles. Surely it should have been caught during oil changes. since you said you don't do your own service, I'd definitely stop using whatever shop you do take it to if they never mentioned how bad the oil pan looked.

As for warranty, you are well outside the factory warranty, sound wouldn't expect it to be covered.

And unfortunately, it's not an easy replacement. The engine pretty much has to be lifted up as high as it can be, or removed to replace the oil pan

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'd also recommend finding a better car wash that has a good undercarriage sprayer, or doing your own car washes

BrotherStyles

Reaction score
I'd also recommend finding a better car wash that has a good undercarriage sprayer, or doing your own car washes
The drivetrain warranty in Canada is 100,000kms.. I am under that. Had it priced out a DORMAN pan that has a lifetime warranty and is powder coated. $800 installed by the shop that looks after my other vehicles. What gets me on a $90,000.00 dollar truck it does not have the powder coated or at least an aluminum one like the LS/LT engines on Chev engines ( sorry to talk Chev here ) ! . Trust me is I saw this happening as I restore old cars I would of cleaned it up sealed the metal and painted with good rust-proof paint. I touch that with a wire brush. I am thinking it may cause a pin hole.

BrotherStyles

Reaction score
I wash this truck correctly just a bad design on Ram's part no other major rust on this truck other than the oil Pan.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The drivetrain warranty in Canada is 100,000kms.. I am under that. Had it priced out a DORMAN pan that has a lifetime warranty and is powder coated. $800 installed by the shop that looks after my other vehicles. What gets me on a $90,000.00 dollar truck it does not have the powder coated or at least an aluminum one like the LS/LT engines on Chev engines ( sorry to talk Chev here ) ! . Trust me is I saw this happening as I restore old cars I would of cleaned it up sealed the metal and painted with good rust-proof paint. I touch that with a wire brush. I am thinking it may cause a pin hole.
then put some sort of anti rust grease on it to slow it down

Geddyflea

Reaction score
That looks just like a quarter panel on an old Alpha Rom.......nevermind 😁

You can hit it with a hand held wire brush to clean it as best you can then paint on something like FDC Rust Converter Ultra. This will stop the rust and get it back to a protected surface. Then reprime and repaint with bedliner spray.

BrotherStyles

Reaction score
So both 2019 Ram's have this problem. My brother and I bought trucks at the same time and have around the same mileage under 98,000 kms. Called my dealer where I bought the trucks and they said it is under warranty. So funny one deal is a no-go the other is yes that's warranty. It is bad enough that I was told not too as it may cause a pin hole which I feel will happen if I use a wire brush.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So both 2019 Ram's have this problem. My brother and I bought trucks at the same time and have around the same mileage under 98,000 kms. Called my dealer where I bought the trucks and they said it is under warranty. So funny one deal is a no-go the other is yes that's warranty. It is bad enough that I was told not too as it may cause a pin hole which I feel will happen if I use a wire brush.
Sounds like your brother needs to go to your dealership

Chrisplm

Reaction score
49k miles, 4.5 years old. oil seeping through the pan. The rest of the underside has barely any rust, but the pan is shot!
Dealers say it may or may not be covered, and they are all 3-4 weeks out before they can look at it.

Attachments

• 20230817_173448.jpg
    20230817_173448.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 65

Jako

Reaction score
49k miles, 4.5 years old. oil seeping through the pan. The rest of the underside has barely any rust, but the pan is shot!
Dealers say it may or may not be covered, and they are all 3-4 weeks out before they can look at it.
You are not the first, this has been reported previously, unfortunately I do not know the location of that thread.

Jako

Reaction score

JK556762

Reaction score
Mine looks bad too.. 19 BH w/ 80k mi.
How is this not a recall? If the pan leaks while underway and loses oil pressure it could cause catastrophic failure resulting in a possible collision, no?

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
did you ever get this taken care of?

Users who are viewing this thread