5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hemi or EcoDiesel dilemma

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Then I'd say go with the Hemi. Everyone has their opinions about the right decision, but here's why I'd choose the Hemi.
  • Maintenance is easier and cheaper than the EcoD.
  • Better fueling options when traveling (I used to have a diesel, and got frustrated when there was no diesel pump or only a single pump with 3 people waiting for it).
  • All other things being equal, the Hemi has more amenities
  • I wouldn't want a truck with the term "Eco" anywhere on it.

Yes, maintenance on the diesel is more expensive.

When did you last own a diesel? With an ED and a 33 gallon tank, I haven't and can't imagine having trouble finding diesel before I have gone 800 miles and run out of fuel. Nowadays, diesel is everywhere.

What do you mean a Hemi has more amenities? In Laramie or Limited trims (just 'cause I haven't looked at anything else), they have exactly the same amenities available.

You don't want a truck with "Eco" on it? LOLOLOL!!! I don't know about the OP, but I sure don't base my truck purchase decisions on what a badge on the side says.

Yep, not cheap. EcoDiesel engine alone is 5K extra on the Big Horns. Not a cheap option for sure.

$5K extra...? Over a V6?

When I priced builds of '22 Laramies and Limiteds, the ED added $2200 over the same truck with an eTorque Hemi.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Regular driving, I love the rumble of my gas 5.7. But would much rather drive the diesel. It is so smooth and quiet. The gas has way more throw you back into the seat power, while the diesel is sneaky. It won't launch hard, but all of a sudden the thing is moving fast and hard.

Exactly. I had Hemis for 13 years. They were great. They sound great. They drive great. But, after test driving an ED, I like it better. The ED is quieter in all circumstances. For normal acceleration, it is nicer than the Hemi. I.e. if I just want to pull over and pass someone, so I just tip into the throttle some, the ED is nicer. The Hemi is only nicer when you put the pedal all the way to the floor (and how often do you REALLY put the pedal all the way to the floor?).

And then, if/when towing, the fuel economy really makes a huge difference. Well, I expect it will. I haven't actually towed anything with my ED yet. But, towing pretty much anything with my Hemis meant 10 MPG or less. And that meant looking for gas every 200 - 250 miles.

With the mileage people report for the ED when towing, I'm expecting to go at least 400 miles before I need to start looking for fuel when towing. So, another reason I'd get an ED if I were the OP, since he has a trailer to haul around.

On top of all that, if you're willing to spend a bit more money, Green Diesel Engineering offers an EPA-compliant tune for the ED that adds 45 HP, 80 ft-lbs of torque, improves drivability even more, and improves fuel economy 7 - 10%. All, allegedly, as I've only read about it and read the reviews from people who have it. I don't have it myself.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, maintenance on the diesel is more expensive.

When did you last own a diesel? With an ED and a 33 gallon tank, I haven't and can't imagine having trouble finding diesel before I have gone 800 miles and run out of fuel. Nowadays, diesel is everywhere.

What do you mean a Hemi has more amenities? In Laramie or Limited trims (just 'cause I haven't looked at anything else), they have exactly the same amenities available.

You don't want a truck with "Eco" on it? LOLOLOL!!! I don't know about the OP, but I sure don't base my truck purchase decisions on what a badge on the side says.

$5K extra...? Over a V6?

When I priced builds of '22 Laramies and Limiteds, the ED added $2200 over the same truck with an eTorque Hemi.
It's been about 20 years since I had a diesel, so take that for what it's worth. Just never liked sitting at the gas station waiting for the only diesel pump (especially when it was being hogged by someone filling up gasoline, when there were 5 other gas-only pumps that were available).

I didn't say that "a Hemi" has more amenitites. I meant that "the Hemi" (that the OP listed) has more amenities than the EcoD he listed.

And in case you didn't read my signature, I drive a gas guzzler so I don't pass too many gas stations without stopping. Couldn't imagine having the term "Eco" on my truck...I just couldn't sleep at night with that. But hey, different strokes for different folks, right?

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn't say that "a Hemi" has more amenitites. I meant that "the Hemi" (that the OP listed) has more amenities than the EcoD he listed.

Ah. I gotcha now! :)

As my grandmother used to tell me, that's why there's chocolate and vanilla. I don't give a rat's *** that my hood says EcoDiesel on it or what anyone else thinks about that or anything else, for that matter. What I care about is how it runs and drives. I have already put 5K miles on my ED and I've only had it for 5 weeks now. If I drove a TRX, I would lay awake at night feeling aggravated at how often I had to stop at gas stations just to go anywhere.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here are the 2 I'm looking at
View attachment 137982
Oh ok both 2 wheel drive in that case your mpg difference between the two will be much higher, from what I’ve seen on here you could expect close to 30mpg highway with the diesel, and having that 7500 pound trailer you’re gonna need every bit of payload you can get. On that note both trucks have really nice payloads for being limited trim. Have you driven the trucks to see which you like more, or which one will suit your mission more? Those are important things for me at least.

flyinverted

Reaction score
Going to test the hemi tonight. The ED is 2,000 miles away and if for some reason I don't do the Hemi tonight, I have a flight booked already for the ED. It was miles +6 bucks for the flight. Just wastes a day of my time getting there.

Users who are viewing this thread