5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hemi or EcoDiesel dilemma

flyinverted

Reaction score
I have found 2 trucks and have a deposit on both. Need to pull the trigger this week.

#1 2019 Hemi 5.7 non e-torque LIMITED CPO, 42k miles.
Sunroof, Lane assist, autopark, autobrake, adaptive cruise control, trailer brake,tonneau cover folding mirrors, 360 backup view
Tow rating 11,340 3.92 gear
ventilated front and rear

#2 2020 Ecodiesel Limited / dealer buyback (ED fuel pump issue and has been replaced)
11,000 miles, 3/36 and 7/100k warranties still active
Trailer brake controller 3.92 gear
ventilated front only

Planning on 17mpg-Hemi and 23 mpg for the ED.
Current trailer is 7500 with big frontal area.
current 2018 Jeep ED tows ok but scary with wind, hence the truck.
Avg 28mpg with 3.55 gears

Only a $200 diff in fuel advantage to diesel over 10,000 miles.

#1 The pretty hollywood girl with all features
#2 the stout woman who keeps going all night long

I've had the 5.7 in my 300c, loved it, minus the fuel economy.
I currently have the 5.7 in a 2007 grand cherokee, hate the fuel economy, love the power

35+ years of driving, never rear ended anyone, never side swiped but lane assist seems good for my distracted driving
Do I need the sunroof in AZ ? Not really
Auto folding mirrors and 360 view YES, I park in tight spots at home
Auto-park, gimmick feature, never had an issue parking in 35 years (I'm 51)

Decisions decisions

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Have you checked the payload capacities between these two trucks? Both are Limiteds, which usually come with fairly low payloads. Pulling a 7500-lb trailer means you probably have upwards of 1000 lbs of tongue load (assuming you're using a WDH). Add passengers, and I suspect you're right on top of - or over - your available payload.

bucolic

Reaction score
Have you checked the payload capacities between these two trucks? Both are Limiteds, which usually come with fairly low payloads. Pulling a 7500-lb trailer means you probably have upwards of 1000 lbs of tongue load (assuming you're using a WDH). Add passengers, and I suspect you're right on top of - or over - your available payload.
Yes, check the payload. Towing capacity pretty much means nothing. You'll exceed payload in almost any instance well before you reach maximum towing capacity.

I towed my camper (4900 lbs dry) with a Hemi with 3.21 gears, a Hemi with 3.92 gears, and my current EcoDiesel with 3.21 gears. Ecodiesel wins hands down towing. With the Hemi, you'll be above 4K RPMs all day towing a camper with the wind sail it creates. Ecodiesel tows well under 3K RPMs and is much more relaxing and you'll pick up a couple of MPG towing.

Also, what size gas tank? Anything less than the 33-gallon tank is miserable towing. With the 26-gallon tank every 150 miles, you need to start hunting for a gas station. I can't even imagine what it's like with the 23-gallon tank some of these trucks come with.

I get over 30MPG on the eco diesel not towing easily. With your 3.92 gears, you'll be able to get 28 or so as you do lose a couple of MPGs. Cost savings is minimal due to the high price of Diesel right now though.

Payload is probably gonna do you in though on a 7500 Dry camper weight. Check it here:

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With 3.92 gears they should both be spec’ed for about 1800# of payload.

I drove Hemis for the last 13 years. Most recently, a ‘19 with eTorque that I put 72k miles on.

I wouldn’t buy either truck you’re looking at.

I test drove an ED about 2 months ago and promptly traded my Hemi in on a used ‘21 ED. I like the way it drives better than the Hemi. I’ve put 5k miles on the ED so far and am still very happy with my upgrade. So, I wouldn’t buy the Hemi, just cause it’s not an ED.

I wouldn’t buy the ED (or any vehicle) without Adaptive Cruise Control. It is too dang useful. Even more so now that I got a Comma and my truck can autopilot itself (which requires ACC).

Also, I wouldn’t buy an ED with 3.92 gears. 3.21 gearing will still have your 7500# trailer within the truck’s limits. And the ED has so much low end torque it doesn’t need that 3.92 gearing to get you moving.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
With 3.92 gears they should both be spec’ed for about 1800# of payload.
Not exactly, and it depends on vehicle options. Here's an example, from a member VIN that was recently issued.

1661793871919.png

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And an EcoDiesel (not necessarily with the same options as the Hemi shown above).

1661794062691.png

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you have the VINs for these trucks, put them into this site. It will tell you the max payload. That will be the limiting factor on towing your trailer.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah on ecodiesel the payload is ridiculously undersized. On a "fully loaded" limited or longhorn you are looking at maybe 12-1300lbs max, and some even lower. All other weights subtract, so toss in a couple 150-200 lb adults and gear and now you can't shouldn't tow anything with more than a few hundred pounds of tongue weight. It's its heavier than a ski boat it's technically too much.

I believe this is more to not cannibalize 2500 sales more than actual safety, as the 2500 but have way more payloads with practically the same engines. The 2500's even weigh a good 700-1200lbs more. It seems somewhat counterintuitive that if you bolted 1000lbs of dead weight onto an ecodiesel it would double payload.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Then I'd say go with the Hemi. Everyone has their opinions about the right decision, but here's why I'd choose the Hemi.
  • Maintenance is easier and cheaper than the EcoD.
  • Better fueling options when traveling (I used to have a diesel, and got frustrated when there was no diesel pump or only a single pump with 3 people waiting for it).
  • All other things being equal, the Hemi has more amenities
  • I wouldn't want a truck with the term "Eco" anywhere on it.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have found 2 trucks and have a deposit on both. Need to pull the trigger this week.

#1 2019 Hemi 5.7 non e-torque LIMITED CPO, 42k miles.
Sunroof, Lane assist, autopark, autobrake, adaptive cruise control, trailer brake,tonneau cover folding mirrors, 360 backup view
Tow rating 11,340 3.92 gear
ventilated front and rear

#2 2020 Ecodiesel Limited / dealer buyback (ED fuel pump issue and has been replaced)
11,000 miles, 3/36 and 7/100k warranties still active
Trailer brake controller 3.92 gear
ventilated front only

Planning on 17mpg-Hemi and 23 mpg for the ED.
Current trailer is 7500 with big frontal area.
current 2018 Jeep ED tows ok but scary with wind, hence the truck.
Avg 28mpg with 3.55 gears

Only a $200 diff in fuel advantage to diesel over 10,000 miles.

#1 The pretty hollywood girl with all features
#2 the stout woman who keeps going all night long

I've had the 5.7 in my 300c, loved it, minus the fuel economy.
I currently have the 5.7 in a 2007 grand cherokee, hate the fuel economy, love the power

35+ years of driving, never rear ended anyone, never side swiped but lane assist seems good for my distracted driving
Do I need the sunroof in AZ ? Not really
Auto folding mirrors and 360 view YES, I park in tight spots at home
Auto-park, gimmick feature, never had an issue parking in 35 years (I'm 51)

Decisions decisions
What’s the price difference between the two? The ED has way less miles but a dealer buyback is not the greatest think to see, also I’m assuming both are crew cab short bed trucks? You mentioned ventilating seats do you have rear passengers often? Also how much do you tow per year with the trailer?

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't trust those website payload values. Check the doorjambs for sure before you buy. They are wildly inaccurate.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Don't trust those website payload values. Check the doorjambs for sure before you buy. They are wildly inaccurate.
The VIN-specific lookup is accurate to the door sticker. At least it should be, and that holds true with my truck. I agree with you, though, for the generic "we are trying to sell you a truck" payload values.

Hawkshot99

Reaction score
I have a 19' Bighorn with the 5.7, and my friend has a 21' Limited with the ED, and previously he had a 19' Laramie with the 5.7. I know I have 3.21 gears, I don't know what either his trucks have.

I have towed his boats quite a bit with all 3 trucks, as he is not so great with trailers.
The boats are lighter then your looking but decent tows. A 26' 2 story pontoon, and a 20' malibu ski boat on a super heavy trailer.

All 3 trucks move the trailers without issues, but there is no question the diesel does it so much more comfortable and smooth. Pulling up out of the ramp when loaded I barely am on the gas with the diesel compared to the 5.7's. Where the boat trailers are parked, there is a small hill we must back up. The diesel just works so much less.

Regular driving, I love the rumble of my gas 5.7. But would much rather drive the diesel. It is so smooth and quiet. The gas has way more throw you back into the seat power, while the diesel is sneaky. It won't launch hard, but all of a sudden the thing is moving fast and hard.

My buddies has mid 30k on his ecodiesle with no issues. He lives in Bergen County NJ and drives the truck as part of his buissness+ personal trips up into the man's of NY. He says he absolutely loves the diesel over the gas, his average is high 20's for mpg, and was 16-17 with his previous gas hemi, while my gas truck is 19-20 average for me.

If I could get the ecodiesel in a lower level of truck I would definitely want it, but I have only ever seen it in high trim trucks, so quite expensive. I'm happy with t he gas, and so was my friend, but we both love the ecodiesel.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If I could get the ecodiesel in a lower level of truck I would definitely want it, but I have only ever seen it in high trim trucks, so quite expensive. I'm happy with t he gas, and so was my friend, but we both love the ecodiesel.
The EcoDiesel is available in all trims, down to Bighorn and up to Limited (but obviously not in the TRX).

bucolic

Reaction score
I have a 19' Bighorn with the 5.7, and my friend has a 21' Limited with the ED, and previously he had a 19' Laramie with the 5.7. I know I have 3.21 gears, I don't know what either his trucks have.

I have towed his boats quite a bit with all 3 trucks, as he is not so great with trailers.
The boats are lighter then your looking but decent tows. A 26' 2 story pontoon, and a 20' malibu ski boat on a super heavy trailer.

All 3 trucks move the trailers without issues, but there is no question the diesel does it so much more comfortable and smooth. Pulling up out of the ramp when loaded I barely am on the gas with the diesel compared to the 5.7's. Where the boat trailers are parked, there is a small hill we must back up. The diesel just works so much less.

Regular driving, I love the rumble of my gas 5.7. But would much rather drive the diesel. It is so smooth and quiet. The gas has way more throw you back into the seat power, while the diesel is sneaky. It won't launch hard, but all of a sudden the thing is moving fast and hard.

My buddies has mid 30k on his ecodiesle with no issues. He lives in Bergen County NJ and drives the truck as part of his buissness+ personal trips up into the man's of NY. He says he absolutely loves the diesel over the gas, his average is high 20's for mpg, and was 16-17 with his previous gas hemi, while my gas truck is 19-20 average for me.

You nailed it!

One difference though is the wind sail from the camper is horrible VS a boat. I towed a car on a trailer total weight of just under 7000 lbs and it towed effortlessly and I got 23 MPG towing it with the EcoDiesel.

Hook up my 5000 lb camper and you know it's back there because of that sail. Wind resistance is a B****!

Hawkshot99

Reaction score
The EcoDiesel is available in all trims, down to Bighorn and up to Limited (but obviously not in the TRX).
Yes they are. But good luck finding one. I buy lightly used vehicles and found 0 in a several hundred mile radius back in June when I bought my truck.
I could order a new one, but don't want to pay new prices.

Hawkshot99

Reaction score
You nailed it!

One difference though is the wind sail from the camper is horrible VS a boat. I towed a car on a trailer total weight of just under 7000 lbs and it towed effortlessly and I got 23 MPG towing it with the EcoDiesel.

Hook up my 5000 lb camper and you know it's back there because of that sail. Wind resistance is a B****!
The pontoon is 2 stories tall with hard sides 2-2.5' tall on the top. It definitely is felt back there vs the ski boat that weighs much more.

Last edited:

bucolic

Reaction score
Yes they are. But good luck finding one. I buy lightly used vehicles and found 0 in a several hundred mile radius back in June when I bought my truck.
I could order a new one, but don't want to pay new prices.
Yeah used is tough right now.

Plenty of New Big Horn EcoDiesels. I Did a search and found 94 within 250 miles of my zip:

1661800483786.png

Users who are viewing this thread