5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hemi noise question, newbie

Brownan

Reaction score
I've got about 600 miles on the new truck. 5.7L eTorque with 3.92 gears. Never had a Hemi or a truck for that matter so perhaps this is a "they all do that" thing.

Under partial throttle, either maintaining speed, or lifting off the throttle I get this sort of weird "congested exhaust" noise. That is sort of the best I can explain it. Almost sounds like burbles and pops on a more sporty exhaust, but these sound muffled and given all the cabin insulation they are sort of in the background.

I can see that this truck would be really quiet without those burbles, but they're there, and they're sort of annoying. Does not do it under more loaded throttle application, or off throttle. Just maintenance throttle or coming off throttle.

Any ideas? TIA

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yep, that's the MDS. Use the gear selector on the right side of your steering wheel to select 8th gear and MDS won't activate. You'll have to do this every time you shut off and restart your truck.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Like they said above ^ should be the MDS.
If you go into the settings on the main screen there’s an option for “fuel saver light” or something like that( forgive me I haven’t done it in a while ). It comes up as a little green Eco light near the top left of your center gauge cluster screen when MDS is on.

Brownan

Reaction score
Thanks all. I think exactly right that it is MDS. Should have figured that out myself.

eTorqueCoasting

Reaction score
I've never heard any difference with it turning on or off. Man, my ears much be worst than I knew

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've never heard any difference with it turning on or off. Man, my ears much be worst than I knew
I can only hear it if my windows are down and I'm driving by a reflective surface, like a building. I can mostly feel it. It makes the truck vibrate. I suppose if you had an obnoxiously loud exhaust, it would be pretty noticeable.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I can only hear it if my windows are down and I'm driving by a reflective surface, like a building. I can mostly feel it. It makes the truck vibrate. I suppose if you had an obnoxiously loud exhaust, it would be pretty noticeable.
Yeah, it is noticeable with a louder exhaust.

Ramjack

Reaction score
I can mostly feel it. It makes the truck vibrate.
Yep. To me it's a slight shudder. You won't feel it while coasting, but it increases with throttle load. Not much though because the MDS deactivates when there is any significant throttle load.

Users who are viewing this thread