5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hemi is a beast

ChryslerVette

Reaction score
This engine has proven itself for years,......... Very powerful, reliable and there's no reason why they won't last 300k plus miles. Modern updates such as cylinder deactivation and fuel injection just adds to there reliability. I'm not getting paid to say this. I'm simply very impressed!

Skater

Reaction score
Glad to hear you are impressed. Live with MDS for a little while on your HEMI Ram 1500 and let me know if you are still impressed with that little function. In my limited time owning my Limited, it has not saved me any fuel, and in fact it has cost me milage trying to keep my Carven exhaust from droning when MDS is operational. When I deactivate MDS, no drone and vioala, I get about a mile better fuel consumption both city and highway and I can hear my radio on low. I love the HEMI and everything about my Limited, save and except MDS.

slauso

Reaction score
At lower speed/rpm MDS bugs me. Sounds like the engine is lugging. So in the city I disable it. On the highway as long as I am over 60mph I let the MDS do its thing. My last hand calculated mpg was all highway driving an was 24.8 mpg per canadian gallon which is about 20.6 per usa gallon.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I had a Gen1 rebel with a Borla XR1 on it, and this Gen2 rebel with magnaflow on it,
And I've never had an issue with the MDS.
:geek:

Just my opinion!

I'm closing in on year 5 in 5.7 Hemi Rams, and I've bought this rebel with no intention on ever selling it

Skater

Reaction score
So I had a Gen1 rebel with a Borla XR1 on it, and this Gen2 rebel with magnaflow on it,
And I've never had an issue with the MDS.
:geek:

Just my opinion!

I'm closing in on year 5 in 5.7 Hemi Rams, and I've bought this rebel with no intention on ever selling it
Maybe I should have went with Borla or Magnaflow rather than Carven, but when it does not drone, I love the sound and the only thing that make it drone is when the MDS is operational. My wife says the Carven is too loud anyway. Maybe I will look into Borla. Who knows... I may have a Carven cat back kit for sale soon.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe I should have went with Borla or Magnaflow rather than Carven, but when it does not drone, I love the sound and the only thing that make it drone is when the MDS is operational. My wife says the Carven is too loud anyway. Maybe I will look into Borla. Who knows... I may have a Carven cat back kit for sale soon.

Borla has an awesome sound/tone!
To me the rumble of a big V8 through a quality exhaust system is one of life's pleasures. There's a few flavors, and they all have fans, deservedly so.

So to be fair, that XR1 muffler was loud. Drone level to me was liveable, but it was loud at wide open throttle and cold starts, juust like I wanted it to be!
There were times leaving the ex-girlfriend's house at 2am where I would wince as the hemi ROAAAAAAAAAARED on cold start, echo-ing on the icy streets. :ROFLMAO:

I'm thinking the debate for what you're looking for is between the Magnaflow setup, and the Borla touring system.

I havent heard the borla touring setup up close - but that's their most tame of the 3 systems. I love their sound profile.
The magnaflow system has their large 22in muffler. It's mellow but I can hear that hemi rumble and still enjoy the truck.

With the windows up it's a distant thunder cloud. Give it wide open throttle? A little more noise.
Windows down? A good rumble! And why I chucked that stock unit.

At wide open throttle windows down it has noise, but the noise level hits a ceiling and stops far short of the XR1's TOTAL-DEAF-SHOUT.

While I miss the borla sound profile, I think from a pure sound level and drone management perspective? The magnaflow makes sense in an "I don't want to wake the kids in the morning or upset the wife" environment.
It's actually why I lean toward keeping it - that the exhaust will be perfect for my wants/needs 7-10 years from now. I've heard (but can't verify) that the borla touring was a little louder than people expected.

U

User_3336

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE explain to me how MDS (cylinder deactivation) ADDS to the reliability of a HEMI engine.

PLEASE EXPLAIN.

This engine has proven itself for years,......... Very powerful, reliable and there's no reason why they won't last 300k plus miles. Modern updates such as cylinder deactivation and fuel injection just adds to there reliability. I'm not getting paid to say this. I'm simply very impressed!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
MDS and Etorque have given me no increase in fuel economy. And if anything, make my Hemi, and my truck in general, less reliable.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Borla is a really good exhaust but I've seen a lot of people complain about drone with them. I'd do Magnaflow....had one on my Charger RT which also had MDS....very little drone and even when the MDS kicked in...still sounded good!

ChryslerVette

Reaction score
For all of you complaining about MDS,.............. Simply engage your gear limiter function to 8th gear and Viola! V8 mode all the time! Also the vehicle manufacturers and Govt. don't really care if you save a gallon of gas here and there, however spread out over millions of cars and trucks and over years, it adds up to millions of gallons of fuel savings!! Look at the big picture.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
For all of you complaining about MDS,.............. Simply engage your gear limiter function to 8th gear and Viola! V8 mode all the time! Also the vehicle manufacturers and Govt. don't really care if you save a gallon of gas here and there, however spread out over millions of cars and trucks and over years, it adds up to millions of gallons of fuel savings!! Look at the big picture.
That's exactly what I do...every time I shift into D. That's the root of the problem though, because the truck enables MDS every time you shift out of and back into D. It's as automatic for me as putting on my seat belt. But it would be nice to be able to permanently disable it. Because I reach for the shift buttons (which are not there) when I drive my Audi too. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Skater

Reaction score
That's exactly what I do...every time I shift into D. That's the root of the problem though, because the truck enables MDS every time you shift out of and back into D. It's as automatic for me as putting on my seat belt. But it would be nice to be able to permanently disable it. Because I reach for the shift buttons (which are not there) when I drive my Audi too. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Ditto.

STR

Reaction score
The 5.7 has been a good engine, but the MDS certainly does not add to its reliability. I have the non-eTq, so at least I don’t have to deal w/the Start/Stop BS that’s equipped on my Jeeps.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^^ 2 different systems. The jeeps use the mechanical starter for start stop. 1500 hemis use a starter/generator which is belt driven to restart engine for start/stop feature.

ToeKnee

Reaction score

Shoot let me know when you have it up for sale. I was looking to invest in a carven exhaust.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
Lol @ everyone complaining about MDS because it doesn't work with their aftermarket exhaust. That isn't Ram's fault. I have owned 3 trucks and a car with MDS and never once have noticed it. I hate the start/stop of the ET because it turns off the A/C and also jolts me forward when it turns back on.

Users who are viewing this thread