5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hemi is a beast

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Is the Canadian gallon larger than USA gallon?
Should we be buying our gas in Canada?

Steve
Technically it's the British gallon, not the Canadian. But yes there is a difference between the British gallon and the US gallon, and the British gallon is more Liters than the US gallon - though I'm quite sure when it comes to gas and MPG, most Canadians understand MPG to be using the US gallon. This gets fun when looking at MPG ratings for "world cars" like the VW Golf or whatever is sold in both Europe and UK and North America because you have to figure out which "G" the MPG is referring to.

The world would be much simpler if we all use KM and L :p

STR

Reaction score
^^^^ 2 different systems. The jeeps use the mechanical starter for start stop. 1500 hemis use a starter/generator which is belt driven to restart engine for start/stop feature.

Whatever that Ram has, I’m still glad that I don’t have it on non-eTq HEMI.

Lol @ everyone complaining about MDS because it doesn't work with their aftermarket exhaust. That isn't Ram's fault. I have owned 3 trucks and a car with MDS and never once have noticed it. I hate the start/stop of the ET because it turns off the A/C and also jolts me forward when it turns back on.

Not everyone. I have the Borla S-Type and the MDS is barely audible... If fact, I’ve only heard it kick in a couple times while coasting down hill. So definitely not a big deal.

U

User_3336

the +/- Buttons on the steering wheel are my best buddies. My truck NEVER EVER engages MDS.

Almost as bad as cylinder deactivation (AFM) on the GMC's and Cheby's! LOL

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That’s taking it a little too far ;)

The HEMI was designed for MDS. I play the “Eco light game” almost every time I’m out (i.e. how long can I keep it in 4-cylinder mode on the highway? ...going up a slight hill? ...through the neighborhood?)

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Lol @ everyone complaining about MDS because it doesn't work with their aftermarket exhaust. That isn't Ram's fault. I have owned 3 trucks and a car with MDS and never once have noticed it. I hate the start/stop of the ET because it turns off the A/C and also jolts me forward when it turns back on.
Who's blaming Ram for the sound? My beef is that RAM (actually FCA) didn't provide a way for the consumer to permanently disable it. If it actually made a difference in fuel economy for me I'd probably let it do it's thing and live with the sound. But for my commute it does nothing, just like the etorque. So I continue my routine every time I shift into D.

the +/- Buttons on the steering wheel are my best buddies. My truck NEVER EVER engages MDS.

I have experience with AFM as well. I'm ashamed to admit I owned a 2010 Camaro SS (auto). On that car I would disable AFM by keeping it in sports mode and shifting manually. Would have just bought a manual since those didn't have AFM but I got a really good deal on that one.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm glad the OP is thrilled with the hemi. I'm surprised he is, with looking at his screen name. I'm satisfied with the 5.7 but I feel it is far from a beast.

I guess I'm in the minority here because I have no problem with the mds. In fact, I hardly know when it hooks in and out. The eTorque start/stop works flawlessly. Would I buy eTorque again. Only at the price I paid 2 years ago.

I'm actually going to "nurse" this ole beater along for an extra year or two. I'm pretty sure I'll buy the hybrid 3.5l F150 next.

Users who are viewing this thread