5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hemi Exhaust Manifold bolts

BigD

Reaction score
How much did you all pay to have those broken bolts drilled out & everything repaired?

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
If the bolts are broken and sticking out of the block after you remove the manifold just grab them with a set of vice grips. If broken flush out a few beads on the bolt with a welder and then grab with a set of vice grips. Drilling takes too long and has a huge chance of making something worse. Worst case is the bit grazes the threads and you have to drill and sleeve the bolt hole to use it again or the bit breaks off in the bolt and then it gets really expensive.

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
Here’s how you quicky remove exhaust studs that are broken even with the head surface. I did this on both sides of my 2011 Hemi Ram @ 100k miles. You weld small nuts onto the broken stud and then twist them out with a wrench. Works perfect. I rented a small 120v welder from Home Depot to do the welding.

Good Video on how welding nuts to broken studs is done. What he doesn’t mention in the video is you should remove any coating from the nut you are welding on prior for better contact to the stud when welding. Unlike the video, I did Not have to heat up the bolts that were not broken to remove.

RAMSTER@

Reaction score
How much did you all pay to have those broken bolts drilled out & everything repaired?
Most of the time you don't need to drill anything - they break at the very top of the bolt where the bolt head is. Easy to extract with various methods.

St-na

Reaction score
I had 130k miles when I traded in my 2014RaM with Hemi and I never had any problems with broken bolts or manifolds. Oil change every 10k, spark plugs and brake pads on 100k. That's it.

Last edited:

tclapp0316

Reaction score
My 2019 with 75K miles on it just broke an exhaust manifold bolt. Not under warranty anymore and as this is a common theme it infuriates me that Dodge wont upgrade their bolts or cover this under warranty!!!

What type of bolts have you all used to replace the standard mopar bolts? I would rather not have this happen again in another 75K miles!!!

2021Reglimj

Reaction score
When this happens is it multipal bolts? Bolts on one or more ports? If you replace with aftermarket hardened blots, will this cause something else to snap? Like the manifold itself?

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When this happens is it multipal bolts? Bolts on one or more ports? If you replace with aftermarket hardened blots, will this cause something else to snap? Like the manifold itself?
Yes, this is exactly what Ram did and we are all replacing manifolds on the DTs now.

Users who are viewing this thread